1 ... 779 780 781 782 783 ... 1738
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/16/21 12:25 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Back in the mid 1980's I was at a Road America with my younger brothers and we were looking at a Porsche 356 convertible and I decide to tell them that it's basically a VW Beetle and the owner heard me.  

As the kids say the old man schooled me that day.  Still remember the lashing.  

So this is funny.  

barefootskater5000
barefootskater5000 PowerDork
12/16/21 12:57 p.m.

barefootskater5000
barefootskater5000 PowerDork
12/16/21 12:58 p.m.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/16/21 12:58 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to NickD :

Back in the mid 1980's I was at a Road America with my younger brothers and we were looking at a Porsche 356 convertible and I decide to tell them that it's basically a VW Beetle and the owner heard me.  

So this is funny.  

It's always fun to describe a Ferrari as "looking pretty good for a body kit on a Fiero" laugh

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/16/21 1:03 p.m.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/21 1:33 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Eleven other meals...

Homer Drool GIFs | Tenor

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/16/21 1:35 p.m.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
12/16/21 1:36 p.m.

Wouldnt a meal partway between dinner and breakfast just be called "lunch" ?  Or is this taking into consideration that certain conventions use "dinner" as the word for the midday meal, and "supper" for the last meal?  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/16/21 2:07 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to NickD :

So this is funny.  

I can see that with a 356. Mr. Porsche himself said about it that "By the end of the war, I had a Volkswagen Cabriolet with a supercharged engine, and that was the basic idea."

My only impression of my cousins' grandpa (so my dads BIL's father) was that he sailed, and one time he told my dad and grandpa that a 911 was just a Beetle. I asked Dad and Grandpa about him, when we were on our way to his visitation, and they both said "He was weird, he thought a 911 was a Beetle!"

Huh, wonder where I get my love of cool cars from?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/16/21 2:09 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

Wouldnt a meal partway between dinner and breakfast just be called "lunch" ?  Or is this taking into consideration that certain conventions use "dinner" as the word for the midday meal, and "supper" for the last meal?  

I think it depends on what is eaten. If you're eating breakfast for dinner, it would be Brinner. If you're eating dinner for Breakfast, it is Dinfast.

This gets complicated as you need to delineate how the food served differs between lunch, dinner, and supper, as those lines can become quite blurred. I guess it depends on the number of courses and size of servings?

12/16/21 2:59 p.m.
NickD said:

I've done that, and the bus pulled ahead. Fully loaded gasoline powered full size Bluebird. 
I was driving my high school car. 225 slant six three speed. 
This is a different car, same color, also a two door wagon like mine was. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/16/21 3:03 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

I believe the first meal of the day is always breakfast, regardless of time or food type. It's not a wide spread belief, in my experience, but it makes sense to me.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/16/21 4:40 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

The definition of lunch, dinner and supper overlap.  In my family, it was always dinner and supper, because on the farm, the big meal is in the middle of the day, and supper is what city folk eat for lunch.  Now, I am a city folk, and I have lunch and dinner, which is a good way to get fat.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
12/16/21 7:14 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

The definition of lunch, dinner and supper overlap.  In my family, it was always dinner and supper, because on the farm, the big meal is in the middle of the day, and supper is what city folk eat for lunch.  Now, I am a city folk, and I have lunch and dinner, which is a good way to get fat.

This doesn't even begin to brush the surface. What about snack time? Tea? MidRats? Midnight snack? Cocktails? Hors d'Ouerves?Nightcap? Canapés? Dessert? Appetizers? Morning coffee? I am so disappointed...

tomtomgt356 (Tommy)
tomtomgt356 (Tommy) GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/16/21 9:28 p.m.

David Elfering
David Elfering GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/16/21 10:19 p.m.

12/16/21 10:25 p.m.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
12/16/21 10:30 p.m.

During Senior Week at Myrtle Beach we just ate one huge meal that we called "B.L.A.D." for Breakfast, Lunch And Dinner in one. And we wonder how we got so drunk being 18 years old and eating one meal per day.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
12/16/21 10:40 p.m.

In my family dinner was the noon meal, and the evening was supper. Its neat hearing how other people use the terms.

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/17/21 1:50 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

This is just before the side effects kick in

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
12/17/21 7:21 a.m.
CJ said:
volvoclearinghouse said:

This is just before the side effects kick in

There was one that had explosive diarrhea, implosive diarrhea listed which I chose to not think about.

Toyman!
12/17/21 8:11 a.m.

May be an image of text that says 'When is the Employee Christmas Party for Self- Self-heck at Walmart?'

Toyman!
12/17/21 8:20 a.m.

May be an image of text that says 'If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!'

Toyman!
12/17/21 8:42 a.m.

May be an image of text that says 'Its either serial killer documentaries or Christmas movies. We either sleighin' or slayin'.'

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/17/21 8:43 a.m.

1 ... 779 780 781 782 783 ... 1738

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GlPxnNIAvOsegCRwDi2q8Lk2ZCMPuKkF9phenv2pFcT0CArGoVRNqZNaP3BFoeje