1 ... 789 790 791 792 793 ... 1614
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/23/21 2:49 p.m.
Duke said:

Grand Junction has had two very different relationships with the atom over the years, and it was a lot more interesting in the 50s.

Fun fact: my wife once got sent home from school for bringing uranium in for show and tell. Did you know you can still borrow a geiger counter from the public library here?

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
12/23/21 3:29 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Duke said:

Grand Junction has had two very different relationships with the atom over the years, and it was a lot more interesting in the 50s.

Fun fact: my wife once got sent home from school for bringing uranium in for show and tell. Did you know you can still borrow a geiger counter from the public library here?

I went to a small union school in the 60s. We had 1 room for all the sciences & had a geiger counter.  We also had a chunk of phosphorus kept in a fruit jar covered by water.  We had fun with that when we fished it out.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/23/21 3:45 p.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/23/21 3:47 p.m.
Duke said:

I learned about uranium glass today, and, hot damn, if I don't wait a set of uranium glass dishes for my new house just to freak people out. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/23/21 3:51 p.m.

thashane
thashane GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/23/21 4:57 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:
thashane said:

Ha! I had to double check to make sure all those cars weren't in my driveway. I've learned not to get excited when something is posted as "Norcal" but it's actually in the Bay.

You ain't kidding. I grew up four hours north of the Bay Area.  Anything south of Cottonwood was foreign territory. 

I tried to find some more specific NorCal or Emerald Triangle memes, but they were all either political or dark. Or both.

Ya I tried to find something with a CentralCal, but gave up. All these Redding references, you guys dont give it enough credit...

Started developping the new Costco, but had to stop after they found a bunch of human remains.

There's TWO In'N'Outs now, and a Sprouts! (but Sears is gone)

Opiates, methamphetamine, and stolen property markets are at an all time high!

They've really streamlined the non-violent felony arrest to "released to self recognizance" process, should only inconvenience the accused for 1-2hours, including travel/booking.

We do have like 4 Oreillys, 2 Napa's, and 3 Autozones though, so that's cool. 

edit: I forgot about the Chil'fil'A!

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/23/21 5:38 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Appleseed said:

I heard this song today, and was reminded again that Paul was certainly the least talented of all the Beatles.

I will say, its a sucky song but it is kind of impressive in that every part of it is performed by Paul Mccartney in multiple takes. He did it so that he and he alone would hold all the rights to the song and not have to share the royalties, a lesson he learned after The Beatles. And he made bank on that song.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/23/21 6:13 p.m.
NickD said:

I will say, its a sucky song but it is kind of impressive in that every part of it is performed by Paul Mccartney in multiple takes.

That's cute.

Meme Creator - Stevie Wonder Meme Generator at MemeCreator.org!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/23/21 6:17 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

A talented 12-year-old could have multitracked that song by themselves.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/23/21 6:26 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Fun fact: my wife once got sent home from school for bringing uranium in for show and tell.

My dad told us he would bring a thermometer to school, break it and take out the mercury to play with it.  He would use the mercury to clean and shine silver dimes.  (Figure 1940 - 1946-ish?)

He lived to 82 years of age.  

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/23/21 6:28 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:

You ain't kidding. I grew up four hours north of the Bay Area.  Anything south of Cottonwood was foreign territory. 

I tried to find some more specific NorCal or Emerald Triangle memes, but they were all either political or dark. Or both.

I moved to Columbus, OH, from Fort Bragg/Mendocino.

Once at the grocery store, the checker saw my CA drivers license and asked me, "Why would you move from the big city to the small town?"

Confusion Memes

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/23/21 6:42 p.m.
Beer Baron said:
DarkMonohue said:

I moved to Columbus, OH, from Fort Bragg/Mendocino.

Once at the grocery store, the checker saw my CA drivers license and asked me, "Why would you move from the big city to the small town?"

Confusion Memes

I moved from Los Angeles to Akron Ohio in the 80s. It was so uncommon of a thing to do that I was practically a celebrity. Would have stayed in Ohio if the weather didn't suck so much.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
12/23/21 6:49 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Appleseed said:

I heard this song today, and was reminded again that Paul was certainly the least talented of all the Beatles.

Totally disagree. Lots of brilliant work, and a good bit of painfully trite and undistinguished stuff as well.  But I hope that we will be judged by our triumphs, not our failures.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/23/21 7:00 p.m.

Amateurs. I live in Oak Ridge, TN. My house is made of asbestos. 

They have a Friendship Bell here, with a partner in Japan. I always imaging Uncle Sam waving a balled up fist at Hiroshima saying "Ring the Friendship bell...I Said Ring It!"

meme:

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
12/23/21 7:16 p.m.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
12/23/21 8:11 p.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:
Streetwiseguy said:
Appleseed said:

Totally disagree. Lots of brilliant work, and a good bit of painfully trite and undistinguished stuff as well.  But I hope that we will be judged by our triumphs, not our failures.

I've got a theory about the Beatles and their solo stuff. When the Beatles hit there weren't nearly as many rules in rock yet. The Beatles did do some things that sound strange and quite a bit "off" to the ear that had heard Black Sabbath, The Who, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Yes and all that after the rock rules had been more established. The Beatles members continued to not follow these rock rules with their solo material and it starts to really stick out the later you go. Even bands like Genesis and Pink Floyd (Meddle and later) still followed the rules.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/23/21 8:15 p.m.
thashane said:

Ya I tried to find something with a CentralCal, but gave up. All these Redding references, you guys dont give it enough credit...

<snip>

We do have like 4 Oreillys, 2 Napa's, and 3 Autozones though, so that's cool. 

Psssh.  Franklin Auto Parts was the best!  That's about the only thing I miss about that town.  Well, other than routinely closing down the Red, White, & Brew and then joining the bartender of same and a select assembly of equally disreputable types to see Frank at a distinctly pre-gentrification Squire Room.  Good times. Or good moments, anyway.

Edit: that's not entirely fair. I don't miss the town, but I do miss some of the people there. For the most part they were generally pretty generous and eager to help.

Meme totally unrelated, but seasonally appropriate. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/23/21 9:13 p.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

15yo? I'm pretty sure I'd do most of those as a 54yo. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/23/21 9:32 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

I will grant you McCartney was an excellent bass player.

But for every good song he also wrote 3 pieces of crap.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/23/21 10:51 p.m.

If you're an 80s kid, and had a couple of rubber bands ,  Megatron.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
12/23/21 10:55 p.m.
Appleseed said:

If you're an 80s kid, and had a couple of rubber bands ,  Metatron.

Megatron.

Metatron is someone else entirely.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/23/21 11:19 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Appleseed said:

At least he didn't give us the drivel that is Imagine. Gag me. And yes, Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime is worse than Imagine, but so are 75% of Christmas songs.

Imagine That | The Beatles | Know Your Meme

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/23/21 11:25 p.m.
NickD said:
Streetwiseguy said:
Appleseed said:

I will say, its a sucky song but it is kind of impressive in that every part of it is performed by Paul Mccartney in multiple takes. He did it so that he and he alone would hold all the rights to the song and not have to share the royalties, a lesson he learned after The Beatles. And he made bank on that song.

John Fogerty (and numerous others) have done entire albums that way. 

john fogerty Memes &amp; GIFs - Imgflip

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
12/23/21 11:59 p.m.

Pfft. On Prince's first album, not only did he lay down all the tracks himself, he played 27 different instruments.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
12/24/21 12:31 a.m.

1 ... 789 790 791 792 793 ... 1614

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Vg7zwvS1ikpeo3UQ8gbSV1Us9VPKX4lCUNIXotff34jzWwI2Ip08owyH9njh5aEx