1 ... 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 ... 2015
nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
10/6/19 11:22 a.m.

In reply to cmcgregor :

Do what I do?  Get under most everybodys skin and then inspire at least three hate threads?  I listen to a lot of stuff on here too and haven't started one.  Maybe I should. laugh

If I ever get a Miata your thread is one I'll have bookmarked for sure so at least keep that one updated.

Either that or introduce the kiddos to caffeine and/or sugar as it seems they're taking too many naps when their small hands should be helping on the Miata. angel

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/19 5:17 p.m.

In reply to cmcgregor :

As the youth say, "Meh."

If I wasn't doing something dumb in the garage, I wouldn't be doing anything at all.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/6/19 5:42 p.m.

In reply to cmcgregor :

Eh, I think people do plenty of dumb things and vice versa. Don't sweat it. You're good with us, man. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
10/6/19 5:47 p.m.

In reply to cmcgregor :

There's always a BMOC on any forum that his duty is to tell you 'how wrong you are.'

It's true I tell ya.

Knurled.
10/6/19 5:48 p.m.

I spilled water on my bed when I woke up at 4:30am and tried to take a drink.

It is 6:30pm and I am beat up and tired and my bed is still wet.

Granted, I should probably eat something, and take a shower because I smell like two goats condensed into one supergoat, but I want to nap, and my bed is still wet.

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/6/19 8:03 p.m.

I'm really frustrated that I have constant cravings for food even when I'm not hungry. I wanna shove hundreds of pounds of disgusting cheesy greasy pepperoni pizza in my face, followed by a thousand shrimp and a hundred lobsters soaked in butter, and fourteen billion friggin nasty gas station beef sticks! BERKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK angry

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/6/19 8:36 p.m.
slowbird said:

I'm really frustrated that I have constant cravings for food even when I'm not hungry. I wanna shove hundreds of pounds of disgusting cheesy greasy pepperoni pizza in my face, followed by a thousand shrimp and a hundred lobsters soaked in butter, and fourteen billion friggin nasty gas station beef sticks! BERKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK angry

Eat a bag of baby carrots. I'm serious.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/6/19 11:43 p.m.
mtn said:

Bought a new pair of hockey skates. For those who don't play, skates are a very personal and expensive purchase. Most folks I know have been in the same brand for a long, long time. I'd been in Graf's for the past 15-16 years, but they're mostly out of business.

A shop in a town 2 hours away was closing, and my friend stopped in and let me know that they had these skates for 80% off. Brand new, last day that the store was open so they needed to liquidate any and all inventory. This would be about like getting a new set of tires for 80% off - $350 marked down to $70. Haven't worn a CCM boot since I was 8 years old, but the price was cheap enough that I took a flyer on it. They fit! 

Unfortunately, the insole is coming apart. No big deal, right? Brand new skate, manufacturing defect, not the skate itself, I'll just call up CCM and have them send me a replacement insole that probably costs them $2 - kinda like if you bought a new car and the floor mat was unraveling at one of the seams on delivery. No dice, they don't have any of them in stock. They offer to send me an orthotic insole for free! But I have to produce my proof of purchase. Damnit. Friend doesn't have the receipt, and he paid cash so no credit card statement. I paid him cash too when I picked them up a month later. 

This is possibly the most minor rant I've had, but still annoying that I'll need to buy a pair of insoles for $10-$50. Oh, that was another thing that I'm annoyed by. I had no idea that orthotic insoles were a thing for skates. I wear them in all of my shoes, but it never occured to me to wear them in my skates. I've never had a problem with foot pain, so I don't think I'm going to spend the $50 for some, but talk about information overload here. Give me 2 options and I can make a decision; give me 40 and I'll overanalyze everything. 

Found some insoles from an old pair of skates that are an almost perfect match, so that problem is solved. But whoa. The pitch on these is so much different than what I’m used to. I felt like I was falling over backwards the entire time. I think I need some heel shins installed. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/7/19 6:31 a.m.

The internet suck sometimes.  This morning, I got a bunch of "Pay me now" e-mails telling me that they recorded me.  A pretty darned old password was their proof.

How they got it is interesting, but the fact that many people would probably fall for it kind of sucks.

wae
wae SuperDork
10/7/19 6:47 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

I have always been a little torn on who I hate more in regards to those scams.  Same with the spam phone calls and texts.  Yeah, those are pretty annoying, but the only reason they keep happening is because apparently they work.  So who do I hate more: The dummies that perpetrate the scam or the dummies that respond to it...

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
10/7/19 7:15 a.m.

I find it incredibly difficult to hate someone simply because they have been scammed...

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/7/19 7:20 a.m.
wae said:

In reply to alfadriver :

I have always been a little torn on who I hate more in regards to those scams.  Same with the spam phone calls and texts.  Yeah, those are pretty annoying, but the only reason they keep happening is because apparently they work.  So who do I hate more: The dummies that perpetrate the scam or the dummies that respond to it...

I, too, have a problem hating the victims.  Given how few people really understand stuff, as it's really complex, generally, it's quite easy to think someone believes that there are people out there who can record their typing.  Heck, the typing recording has been shown many times in movies, and we have a lot of leaders who believe the fiction that is in movies.

Especially people who join the internet to keep up with their families- who have really never been exposed to internet security and whatnot.

The scammers are the problem here.  And the thought that they somehow have found access to even old data is kind of interesting.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/7/19 8:26 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Are you saying that key loggers don't exist? Physical and software key logging programs have been around forever. Old data is relatively easy to mine as well. The line between science fiction and science fact when it comes to malicious use of computers is a lot (a LOT) greyer than we would like to think. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
10/7/19 8:38 a.m.

berkeleying Craigslist people. My father asked me to go with him to go look at a Grand Cherokee so that he had a second set of eyes on the vehicle. Listing says it's an '04 with 70k miles and no rust for $2300 (already somewhat suspicious). My father had called the guy, asked if it was still there, it was, sets up a time to come look at it, lets the guy know that he'll call before he heads out. That afternoon he calls the guy to say we're leaving, and we'll be there in an hour. Get out there and find the Jeep. We give it a quick look over and see that both rocker panels are well ventilated and just sprayed over with bedliner to cover it up. Also has a fender that rotted out and is bondo'ed over and has bedliner over the repair. Gas tank is held in by ratchet straps because the skid plate that holds it up is turned to Swiss cheese. Okay, so the "No Rust" bit was a lie. Seller has not come out despite dogs barking their head off the entire time, so go knock on the door and no answer. Wait a couple minutes, knock again, still no answer. Knock again and some 10 year old kid answers the door, tell him we set up a meeting to come look at this Jeep, the kid goes "I'm not sure if Tyler is here right now," closes the door, walks away and doesn't come back. Wait 5 or 10 minutes, kid never returns. What the berkeley? Call the guy's number and he goes "Oh, I have something going on, so I'm not there right now." We told you we were coming at 5, you said it was okay, and if it was an emergency you had our number and could have called and told us something came up before we drove all the way out here. Then I start in with "Ad says no rust, it definitely has a lot of rust, especially for 70k miles. It does have 70k miles, yes?" Guy dances around the question before saying "Well, it has 175k miles, but everything was rebuilt at 100k miles." Everything? What constitutes everything? Engine, transmission, transfer case, axles, brake lines, fuel lines, fuel pump? Do you have any proof that any of this was done? You know what, berkeley you, we're done, you've wasted our time and lied the entire time.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/7/19 8:53 a.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to alfadriver :

Are you saying that key loggers don't exist? Physical and software key logging programs have been around forever. Old data is relatively easy to mine as well. The line between science fiction and science fact when it comes to malicious use of computers is a lot (a LOT) greyer than we would like to think. 

I'm sure they exist- but I don't think they are as easy to use as the movies imply.  Especially covering multiple networks, which all have security.   The easy way they work is if you go to a malicious site....

And I am aware of the old data out there- which is why I think the internet sucks.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
10/7/19 9:10 a.m.

The family minivan is dead.  2008 Honda Odyssey with 180k miles.  Lent it to a family friend for a few months and she returned a few weeks ago w/no oil and making a knocking sound.  The knocking was intermittent and the oil light had been on intermittently.   Tough to know if Honda engineers or the caretaker are to blame.  She says she did have a shop change the oil and they told her the oil light was probably just a bad sensor.   It was relatively trouble-free for the 8 years we owned it...but it also felt like 20 year old van, not a 10 year old van.

Took it to my indy mechanic and he thinks the oil pump is failing (hence the oil light) which caused the knocking.  If it's the oil pump, it needs a new motor.  There's a slight chance it's the timing belt tensioner, but that would be outside of the acceptable repair-to-vehicle value ratio. 

If the van wasn't so ugly (paint peeling from the roof and hood is a common issue w/these vans), the driver's door didn't have a bent frame (SWMBWO said oops!), and the the front end was fresher, I'd swap in a used motor and fix everything else.  It'll be cheaper and more practical to just sell it and buy a nicer version of the same van.

Knurled.
10/7/19 9:35 a.m.

In reply to Hoondavan :

Bad timing belt tensioners on that engine sound exactly like a rod knock.  It's uncanny.  Must replace any time you have the covers off, they seem to last about 100k miles.

Oil senders fail with some regularity too.  At 180k the oil pump gasket (O ring) is probably leaking too, although that does require dropping the oil pan, amd therefore the Y pipe.  Have never seen an oil pump fail, it's a gerotor type and basically indestructible.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
10/7/19 10:31 a.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to Hoondavan :

Bad timing belt tensioners on that engine sound exactly like a rod knock.  It's uncanny.  Must replace any time you have the covers off, they seem to last about 100k miles.

Oil senders fail with some regularity too.  At 180k the oil pump gasket (O ring) is probably leaking too, although that does require dropping the oil pan, amd therefore the Y pipe.  Have never seen an oil pump fail, it's a gerotor type and basically indestructible.

Tensioners were changed along with the timing belt at 120k miles or so (~60k miles ago).  If I had to guess, the noise does seem to be coming from the same side as the timing chain.  The van has enough issues where it's not worth the investment.   

Knurled.
10/7/19 11:00 a.m.

In reply to Hoondavan :

I have seen tensioners fail in that timeframe, too.

Not saying the engine wasn't hurt from being trained to run low on oil, but it's worth a check before sticking a fork in it for what could be a simple fix.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin SuperDork
10/7/19 4:32 p.m.

I'm running remarkably low on patience today.  No one can take a hint, so go ahead and do the berking stupid thing you were going to do anyway.  I'm tired of wasting my breath giving advice to morons, just make your mistake in silence and leave me alone.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/7/19 5:12 p.m.

Went into contract to sell our home to a builder in February, for a very good price.  Had a second spinal operation a week later.  Wife diagnosed with cancer in April.  Son gets married in July.  Recovery for me took until June.  Closing was set for August 1st.  Builder was cool, and gave us some time.  Make the move by myself, as I had done 30 years ago, using  a truck and trailer.  House was broken into. Now August has come and gone.  September also.  Supposedly October 17 is the closing.  The move put us 4+ hours away,  can't keep running back and forth.  I'm tired, and stressed.  It's tough keeping a sunny disposition.  Thanks for letting me vent.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
10/7/19 5:26 p.m.

Dirty -

where are you at?   Maybe I could help with the move

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/7/19 5:32 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

A heartfelt thank you.  But it's all done now.  We made the move from Staten Island,NY to Unadilla, NY.  See my Life Is Good rant.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/7/19 6:38 p.m.

Tired of the fly E36 M3 on the otherwise clean cars in the garage-- it can't freeze soon enough!

I don't know what these buggers eat (well actually I do because rural living) but it eats right into vinyl siding and leaves stains that never really come out. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/19 10:49 p.m.
alfadriver said:

The internet suck sometimes.  This morning, I got a bunch of "Pay me now" e-mails telling me that they recorded me.  A pretty darned old password was their proof.

How they got it is interesting, but the fact that many people would probably fall for it kind of sucks.

that's always fun. Especially when you know that your computer does not have a camera or a mic. I even cover the camera on my laptop

1 ... 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 ... 2015

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RjmC2wwFALksuIKg16SVzqoJGN3Vyk6jOpAU8ppo4oYiI0gI2zu5dYhgmGOWy1wO