1 ... 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 ... 1945
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/18/19 6:30 p.m.
RevRico said:

One of the 4 year old little piss ants at my kids school choked my daughter out today after lunch. According to the teachers, surprisingly, my child did nothing wrong. There's already been a fight in the parking lot between parents once this year, and I really don't wanna be the guy that causes a second one, but I'm having a real hard time not wanting to beat the kids dad's ass in front of the kid.

Clearly I'm growing as a person, because young Rico would already be at their house, and I think that's the actual rant, that I'm trying to do the adult thing instead of the instinctual thing.

What the berkeley? Is the kid allowed to be in school anymore? 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/19/19 1:52 a.m.

3 hours of sleep last night. I might get 5 tonight if I'm lucky. Berk you brain, turn the berk off!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/19/19 8:21 a.m.
Appleseed said:

3 hours of sleep last night. I might get 5 tonight if I'm lucky. Berk you brain, turn the berk off!

Have you been to a psychiatrist to talk about anxiety? It may be a good idea.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/19/19 9:07 a.m.

If I send you a set of drawings with 30 sheets in it, maybe it would be a good idea to look farther than page 2 before you reject my project for not having enough information in it.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/19/19 9:21 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I'm right there with you. 5 days of very little sleep thanks to a sick 2 year old (poor thing kept coughing herself awake and crying due to the pain :-( ) and then last night I was laying there jumping at every noise thinking it was her waking up. Headphones in, pillow over head, playing Ravi Shankar and Phillip Glass on the iPod, thinking soothing thoughts ... and my brain kicks in with "why do you think this happened last week.. where do you think this is going to end next week..?" Some times I wish I was a pot smoker or something. Something to help get a chill going.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/19/19 11:10 a.m.
mtn said:
Appleseed said:

Hahahhahaha, that costs money. 

Joking aside, somehow, how ever ill-advised, I managed to beat depression, unassisted.  I'm going to ride this rollercoaster a bit longer and see if I can chop this E36 M3, too. Either I get to the end and decide I've ridden enough,  or the cart flys off the tracks.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/19/19 11:19 a.m.
Appleseed said:
mtn said:
Appleseed said:

Joking aside, somehow, how ever ill-advised, I managed to beat depression, unassisted.  I'm going to ride this rollercoaster a bit longer and see if I can chop this E36 M3, too. Either I get to the end and decide I've ridden enough,  or the cart flys off the tracks.

I know someone like that. He's currently in an intensive outpatient program because he let it get too far; his first step in getting any help was when those close to him basically threw him in the car and drove him to the ER. ER docs wanted him to go to a 28-days type program (not addition related). They settled on the intensive outpatient one instead. FYI. 

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/19 11:31 a.m.

Gah, why.  Why did I try to go to a Starbucks drivethru on the way home from dropping a kid off at school?

What an absolute joke.

First, whomever designed this particular store should be forced to direct traffic at it.

Let me try to paint you a picture:

It sits on a 4-lane road with a center turn lane, speed limit is 30mph due to the pedestrians and schools nearby.

The in/out is on the same curb cut.

The driveway extends straight back into a small housing development tucked in behind the place.  So the driveway is shared with the people who live in the houses in the back.

This is also the firelane and is marked as such the entire length.

I pull in and there's a brodozer contractor with his diesel pickup parked illegally in the middle of the road, he's waiting at the walk up window for his order.  At least he folded his mirrors....

All of the cars headed into the drivethrough have to go around him and wait to make the turn into the drivethrough. 

annoying, but its working.

So I wade in and get to the head of the line and start to wait my turn.  I notice the driveway is connected to the TacoBell next door and that the Comcast guys figured out how to park their rigs and not be in the way.

So now I'm watching my 15-month old in the mirror as he's playing in the back. 

I notice a black Mazda 6 pull in and around the brodozer and behind me.

A little while later the line has moved a bit so I get ready to move and she decides to jump around me.

I honk and provide several gestures, including the universal one, she gestures back and I decide I've had enough and jet.

The Michelins on my RS suck in the cold/wet (but they can be fun) and I pull a nice 4-wheel drift around the driveway and through Taco Bell out onto the street.

Once I calm down a bit, I drive home via the long way and realize I should have probably confronted her, but I should also provide a good example for my kids and realize that its just overpriced coffee and it isn't worth it in the end.

At the end of the day, I really just dislike most people.  Including the parents who drop their kids off at the elementary school up the street from us, but that's another rant (although similar in some ways).

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/19 11:33 a.m.
Appleseed said:
mtn said:
Appleseed said:

Dude.  When you talk like that you make us all nervous.  Please get help.  Even if its just a close friend that you can sit and have a beverage with from time to time.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
11/19/19 11:42 a.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to Appleseed :

Some times I wish I was a pot smoker or something. Something to help get a chill going.

Towards the end of my weed smoking career (1980's) I struggled with paranoia sometimes when I got high.  You don't want more crap in your life dude. 

Rodan
Rodan Dork
11/19/19 12:10 p.m.
Stefan said:

Once I calm down a bit, I drive home via the long way and realize I should have probably confronted her, but I should also provide a good example for my kids and realize that its just overpriced coffee and it isn't worth it in the end.

IMHO, bad behavior unconfronted simply breeds more bad behavior.  That said, it's pretty unproductive, usually.  A while back I confronted a lady waiting for a handicapped parking space at the local Wally World.  Instead of parking far enough to one side to let traffic by, she was smack in the middle blocking the aisle, with about 5 vehicles stuck waiting.  I started with a polite request to pull to the side, but after getting a nasty response, I flipped on shiny happy person mode and explained how she was being a self-centered inconsiderate bitch.  She dialed 911 on me....  Some folks just don't get it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/19/19 12:57 p.m.

I promise you guys one thing: I will never let it go that far. 

For what it's worth, I've always been an insomniac /night owl. Even as a far back as I can remember, I never wanted to sleep. Only my teenage years did I reluctantly allow it. I've justified it lately as: my life expectancy is not what yours is, so if I stay up 3-4 hours extra every night for the next 20 or so, I'll cheat an extra couple of years when the bad luck finally catches up with me. 

Its total bullE36 M3,  but it's gotta work better than the truth.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/19/19 12:59 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:
dculberson said:

In reply to Appleseed :

Some times I wish I was a pot smoker or something. Something to help get a chill going.

Towards the end of my weed smoking career (1980's) I struggled with paranoia sometimes when I got high.  You don't want more crap in your life dude. 

Oh trust me, I don't have time for that E36 M3. I've got two kids and enough projects to run an octopus out of arms, oh, and a job to do. I barely have time for one beer with dinner some days.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
11/19/19 2:01 p.m.

Gah!   I am reduced to buying 40-watt appliance bulbs to get that warm incandescent glow!

#thequalityofLEDlightsucks

wae
wae UltraDork
11/19/19 2:06 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Gah!   I am reduced to buying 40-watt appliance bulbs to get that warm incandescent glow!

I've got a few hundred 100 Watt and 60 Watt old-school incadescents in my basement that I bought right when Congress decided what type of lightbulb I was allowed to have but before they were all gone from stores :)

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
11/19/19 2:30 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Nice. 

Yeah, I was stupid enough to believe that we Americans might actually have the freedom to choose what kind of lightbulbs we can buy.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/19/19 2:33 p.m.

Halogen A-lamps give nice light, use about 15% less wattage, and are still readily available.

Yeah, LED lamps are cheap now, but good, high-CRI LED lamps are still expensive.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
11/19/19 3:16 p.m.
wae said:
1988RedT2 said:

I've got a few hundred 100 Watt and 60 Watt old-school incadescents in my basement that I bought right when Congress decided what type of lightbulb I was allowed to have but before they were all gone from stores :)

I just like the incandescent bulbs because they get hot enough to kill the bugs that get in the house.  CFLs couldn’t do that.  No idea if the heat sink on LEDs will do that job.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
11/19/19 4:08 p.m.

Incandescent smells better.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
11/19/19 4:13 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
wae said:
1988RedT2 said:

I just like the incandescent bulbs because they get hot enough to kill the bugs that get in the house.  CFLs couldn’t do that.  No idea if the heat sink on LEDs will do that job.

Since you mentioned it, I've always been curious.  Does the wattage rating on LED bulbs just consider the wattage of the light-emitting diode itself, or does it also include the inefficient Chinesium transformer rectifier circuit that makes the metal base of the bulbs too hot to touch?  I was honestly shocked to see how hot those bulbs run.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
11/19/19 4:22 p.m.

So I assume some of you remember the shenanigans my uncle got up to early this year trying to sneak my inheritance out from under me.   He apparently feels that based on a conversation he had with my late father that he should have gotten my fathers' share of their mothers' estate.  There is no paper to this effect and the lawyers all said that my sister and I were the rightful heirs.  Uncle still tried hard to back-door the money from my 70 year old step-mother (who has Parkinson's) since it had to pass through her hands.

Well apparently he hasn't let up, telling her she needs to write him into her will (!). Take out a reverse mortgage on her home to pay him now (!!).  When offered $5K a year he insisted it be at least double that (!!!)

Step mom is upset (she just wants to be liked and for some reason cares about what uncle asshat says) and my sister and I are totally pissed.   My next conversation with him is unlikely to be pleasant.  It "may" involve some wall-to-wall counseling if he gets mouthy with me.

Why do people have to be so E36 M3ty about relatively small amounts of money?  We're talking new one ton truck, not new house money.  And he already got a share!  He's pissy he isn't getting mine as well. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
11/19/19 4:50 p.m.
JamesMcD said:

Incandescent smells better.

for some strange reason it occurred to me that we'd be smarter as a society if we used words like incandescent more often and not the all the corporatist/bureaucratic crap I hear every day like LED or whatever jargon I hear from every back seat/ride.  I probably should check this sentence for spelling and grammar. blush

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/19/19 5:44 p.m.

My vape just caught fire in my pocket. berkeleying leg HURTS. pants destroyed. I was praying for the willingness to quit....

No way to get parts/replacement tonight. Guess its time to quit.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/19/19 6:08 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Guess its time to quit.

Some may consider a fire in their pants a sign.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/19/19 8:03 p.m.

If that isn't a message from God...

1 ... 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 ... 1945

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L7anFmLtzrmfOr2VMVp1fkOHo3oWl2hHRp3IOpdYKpyGpKRkWWIZpSTcf78WkT5m