1 ... 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 ... 2016
Old_Town
Old_Town Reader
6/28/24 9:43 a.m.

I've almost been hit twice this week by people making a left turn and 'cutting the corner' into my lane where I am conveniently stopped at a light. I don't know if I was hiding behind their A pillar but some people must of struggled with angles and geometry in school... 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/28/24 10:06 a.m.

I got the email from work this morning, they're calling me back from voluntary layoff.

I understand because they're still giving me benefits, which I haven't used, but was really hoping they would just lay me off permanently so I can continue to collect the unemployment benefits I've paid into most of my life.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
6/28/24 10:10 a.m.

Rain. It has been raining since about 7pm yesterday and it should stop sometime tonight. We don't need it. Everything is squishy or floating or flooded. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
6/28/24 1:13 p.m.

Having a OK Boomer moment. 

I have been trying to buy a few 1932 hot rods for inventory. The last three deals have failed, we come to a price I get cash or checks and then things start to fall apart. Titles not in peoples names, cash only deals, nothing as described. I do about 70 deal a year, every single one with someone over the age of 65 has been like this over the last two years. Everyone under the age of say 55 has been on time, respectful and just plain nice. Bought a 28 roadster for a client from someone in their 30s and they were the most knowledgeable seller that I have seen in the hot rod space. 

I know its just me and I know everything is weird but man get your generation together. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/28/24 1:47 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Why do you suppose that is? 

Rant: Everybody wants me to go back to work.  HR, my boss, the apprentice, and most of all, Mrs O'lady.  I can go back two days a week, and it'll be easy money. 
Leave me alone, I'm trying to retire. 

Beer Baron 🍺
Beer Baron 🍺 MegaDork
6/28/24 1:51 p.m.

Kids these days...

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
6/28/24 2:19 p.m.
Peabody said:

Honestly I think a lot of them thought that there plastic 32s would appreciate in value and they are pissed they did not. The younger guys. Say sub 50 or guys who have a grm mindset builtnwhat they wanted for the experience and to use them. 

people paid 50-80k for plastic body cars 20 years ago and they are great cars and they are mid 20s now because the market wants all want steel historic cars now. 

I have enough rough bodies available on steel that I could make a killing taking these high dollar builds and removing the glass body and doing a relic steel body replacement. Which is actually my next project idea. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
6/28/24 2:19 p.m.
Peabody said:

Honestly I think a lot of them thought that there plastic 32s would appreciate in value and they are pissed they did not. The younger guys. Say sub 50 or guys who have a grm mindset builtnwhat they wanted for the experience and to use them. 

people paid 50-80k for plastic body cars 20 years ago and they are great cars and they are mid 20s now because the market wants all want steel historic cars now. 

I have enough rough bodies available on steel that I could make a killing taking these high dollar builds and removing the glass body and doing a relic steel body replacement. Which is actually my next project idea. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/28/24 2:38 p.m.

I hit a big strip of truck retread on my way home last night.

- Front bumper damaged beyond repair.

- Right front wheel well liner & wheel arch trim now in low earth orbit.

- Splash cover dragging on ground.

- Windshield washer reservoir no longer reservoiring.

- Right front rim marred "that won't buff out".

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/28/24 6:17 p.m.

Nobody stops at stopsigns. Right turn on reds too. I don't mean rolling it, full on FU  I ain't touching the brake pedal. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/24 7:24 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Yesterday morning, I had some dingus in a Jeep lay on the horn at me for being in his lane that he decided to yeet on into without signaling.  Didn't signal the other couple lane changes either.

Gee, if you don't let people know your intentions, what do you think will happen.

Re: zombie apocalypse already happened

As for right turn on red... this was good for a couple good collisions per month where I used to work.  The post office was next door and had a traffic light at the exit.  People just blew through a right turn on red without stopping or even looking.  All the time.  I opined that they should permanently station a police officer at the end of our driveway, and bam, the city's budget would be covered.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
6/28/24 8:44 p.m.

Had to rush around a bit this morning when I got the text that our bed frame and mattress and mattress was arriving about an hour before the earliest delivery window I was given.  And now, we are past the window for when the pickup for our old mattress is supposed to be and no notification yet.  Wondering if they will still show up tonight, or reschedule.  The house is more of a mess than usual, with the old mattress and box spring laying around, and other furniture still out of place to make sure there is a decent path out of the house.

At least the new mattress should be a lot more comfortable than the old worn out one.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/24 12:52 p.m.

Out of weld gas with 8" of bead left to lay. Damn it. 

Time to see if I remember how to weld with a stick.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
6/29/24 7:23 p.m.

PROS: Not the high voltage battery.

CONS: 1. closest available date for the repair facility is July 23rd.

2. If it isn't the 9-month old lead acid battery, it's the rear motor inverter grounding strap.

Puddy46
Puddy46 HalfDork
6/29/24 8:17 p.m.

Cheap single use socket that wasn't so cheap I need to remove and replace three bolts broke after removing two bolts.  

Ugh...

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/30/24 3:31 p.m.

Great, someone forgot to log into the appropriate online account and now gets to redo his whole application for naturalization.

Good thing I don't have anything else to do. Oh, wait.

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/30/24 4:01 p.m.

80F and partly cloudy feels absolutely cold right now.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/30/24 4:16 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

16C here, 60F, overcast and it feels great

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/30/24 4:18 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

It was a cloudless near triple digits where I was yesterday (triple digits with heat index) so it's kind of a meteorological culture shock...

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/30/24 4:22 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

It was low 90's here last week. It's a welcome change

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/30/24 4:27 p.m.

I was in Italy last week where it was mostly 95 to 102F/35 to 39C, and their air conditioning is not what I'm used to. 

Today we have a high of 69F/21C. It is glorious. I'm even wearing a long sleeve t shirt, though that was a choice I made in the morning and isn't as comfortable now. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/30/24 7:27 p.m.

I will stop leaving dirty plates on the counter if you will stop piling them randomly in the sink on top of a single coffee cup like a Dr. Seuss illustration.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/1/24 9:34 a.m.

My office: it's weird that morale here has gotten really bad 

Also my office: we're not approving comp days on weekends anymore.  

We all work at least one weekend day so you have to take a comp day if you want to be off both Saturday and Sunday for some selfish reason.  

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/1/24 9:47 a.m.

Do you think a simple email will make things happen faster? This job is scheduled for completion on the 24th. We will be done by the 24th, not the 8th. No, we will not be working this weekend to complete it early. I won't have all the materials until next week. 

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
7/1/24 12:02 p.m.

Car insurance going up 11% on the liability-only vehicles and 23% on the other.  Same company we've been with for 8 years.  0 claims, no moving violations (last ticket came off 5 years ago).  

1 ... 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 ... 2016

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T6vAmHy6fAMTXDqikgxG0T2A4RBTZffndBHedGg59tJlOcbqMgZ6UNg2blMyaSeY