1 ... 513 514 515 516 517 ... 2012
SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
8/16/16 12:40 a.m.

The PNW is known for rain, yet it's been dry for weeks.
All I want is a damp autocross so my pig of a car actually has a chance at being competitive.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/16/16 6:31 a.m.

Not so much a rant.

Saw a new one today..

I'm driving down the middle lane of the freeway (3 lanes), doing 75, comfortably behind a pick up doing the same thing. Up from behind this jeep swerves over to the left, quickly passes me, cuts me off to get back to the right lane, passes the truck, and then cuts in front of them back to the left lane.

Surely others have seen traffic weavers a lot. This was different- nobody was in the left lane the entire time. And for at least 1/4 in front of the pick up. So this driver was weaving for the sake of weaving.

Odd.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/16 8:47 a.m.

I've seen a worrying new trend among local drivers over the last week or so. Not using indicators is nothing new, but not using indicators along with making snap lane changes when I'm about to pass with a healthy closing speed IS new.

They're still cruising around well below the already-low speed limit though A few weeks ago I spotted a "traffic generator" - a person driving slowly with no traffic ahead of them as far as you can see.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/16/16 8:50 a.m.
wae wrote: It doesn't matter where I put the bucket of antifreeze. I will drop something and it will bounce, roll, and ricochet so that it lands in that bucket.

You're lucky- for me it's usually the bucket/container of oil...

wae
wae Dork
8/16/16 9:00 a.m.
Ashyukun wrote:
wae wrote: It doesn't matter where I put the bucket of antifreeze. I will drop something and it will bounce, roll, and ricochet so that it lands in that bucket.

In this case it is only because I don't happen to have a container full of oil at this moment. Before I dumped it out, though, I had three or four bits of hardware bounce in to the container that I had drained the transaction fluid to...

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
8/16/16 10:42 a.m.
wae wrote:
Ashyukun wrote:
In this case it is only because I don't happen to have a container full of oil at this moment. Before I dumped it out, though, I had three or four bits of hardware bounce in to the container that I had drained the transaction fluid to...

Is transaction fluid what results when a daddy car and a mommy car share a garage? The result being a shiny new baby car

wae
wae Dork
8/16/16 10:49 a.m.
KyAllroad wrote:
wae wrote:
Ashyukun wrote:
Is transaction fluid what results when a daddy car and a mommy car share a garage? The result being a shiny new baby car

...which leads me to my next rant: stupid Samsung keyboard autocorrect!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/16 10:16 p.m.

I am exhausted. Just did two 16 hour days back to back. Today was particularly brutal as I wound up doing most of the work, including bailing out one of my co-workers from a boneheaded move on his part.

I think today was the first time anybody at work has truly seen me frustrated. I can handle a LOT of work.. but don't rush me for no reason.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/17/16 10:33 a.m.

Feeling pretty pissed.

The store has been accident free for over a year. This is rare. As a reward, we are having a massive cookout. So people can enjoy it, other employees from another store are coming to cover for those enjoying the cookout.

This is happening on a Thursday. I work on the freight team. The freight team unloads semis on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Thanks a lot, shiny happy people.

Hope you berkeleyers get food poisoning.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
8/17/16 12:56 p.m.

Another day of performing root cause analysis for issues where I can't actually report the root cause

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/17/16 1:05 p.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: Another day of performing root cause analysis for issues where I can't actually report the root cause

Because you can't find what it is? Or because you know what it is but cannot report it for other reasons?

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
8/17/16 3:01 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun:

The latter . . . Reporting the cause is career limiting. The cause is something than can be easily resolved; solution is a bit difficult to implement. However, reporting the actual cause makes a few in upper and executive management look like buffoons for spending millions on a known failure.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/17/16 3:05 p.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: Another day of performing root cause analysis for issues where I can't actually report the root cause

Do you work the same place I do?

Actually reading this a little closer, my situation is a little different. We spend a lot of time doing root cause analyses for unrepeatable issues where the root cause has yet to be established.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
8/17/16 3:55 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Not so much a rant. Saw a new one today.. I'm driving down the middle lane of the freeway (3 lanes), doing 75, comfortably behind a pick up doing the same thing. Up from behind this jeep swerves over to the left, quickly passes me, cuts me off to get back to the right lane, passes the truck, and then cuts in front of them back to the left lane. Surely others have seen traffic weavers a lot. This was different- nobody was in the left lane the entire time. And for at least 1/4 in front of the pick up. So this driver was weaving for the sake of weaving. Odd.

See it all the time.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
8/17/16 6:40 p.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: In reply to Ashyukun: The latter . . . Reporting the cause is career limiting. The cause is something than can be easily resolved; solution is a bit difficult to implement. However, reporting the actual cause makes a few in upper and executive management look like buffoons for spending millions on a known failure.

One of the main reasons I'm self employed is because of stuff like that. No way, no how do I have the strength to keep my mouth shut. It has been suggested that I should just call "a spade a spade", instead of calling it "A berkeleying shovel, you dim berkeley."

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
8/17/16 7:59 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote:
Strike_Zero wrote: In reply to Ashyukun: The latter . . . Reporting the cause is career limiting. The cause is something than can be easily resolved; solution is a bit difficult to implement. However, reporting the actual cause makes a few in upper and executive management look like buffoons for spending millions on a known failure.
One of the main reasons I'm self employed is because of stuff like that. No way, no how do I have the strength to keep my mouth shut. It has been suggested that I should just call "a spade a spade", instead of calling it "A berkeleying shovel, you dim berkeley."

You do know that a spade and a shovel are not, in fact, the same tool...

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/17/16 8:41 p.m.

Computers systems suck sometimes. For some reason, our Dell printer decided to not participate on the network. Had to go and remove it and reinstall it.

Drinking makes it feel better.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
8/17/16 8:41 p.m.
WildScotsRacing wrote:
Streetwiseguy wrote:
You do know that a spade and a shovel are not, in fact, the same tool...

Depends where you are from, and I've had this argument before. "That's not a spade, its a pointed shovel" is something I've heard from a person who was wrong.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/17/16 8:52 p.m.

It's nice to have "tenure" and no want of advancement. I stress my strong desire for a strong profit sharing check over anything personal.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
8/17/16 9:08 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy:

My good fellow, a Spade is shaped and used for cutting into soil for digging; a Shovel is shaped for scooping up and and moving a loose medium (such as soil...)

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
8/17/16 11:08 p.m.

In reply to WildScotsRacing:

Well. now, this is getting interesting. I have always considered a spade to be a shovel with a head shaped like, well, a spade- as in, the ace of spades. By your definition, I have a long handled spade, and a long handled pointed shovel, identical other than the angle that the handle leaves the head- The spade will easily dig straight down, with the handle close to my body. The shovel has the handle coming off at a greater angle, so I have to hold the handle away from my body to dig straight down, but its better for digging into the side of a pile...

Can we agree that any product other than wood, preferably Hickory, is a lousy thing with which to make a handle?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/17/16 11:35 p.m.

I've been after a copy of Lego Fallingwater for a while. Stupidly I didn't buy it when it was current and now that it's been discontinued some people seem to have developed rather interesting theories as to what it's worth. Oh, and I wanted one with a nice condition original box as well.

Well, found one on ebay - right price, had been assembled (which was fine, I was going to assemble it anyway) but the box was in nice shape and the instructions were also present.

Today the "ring the bell and run away" crew delivered a box that looked like it had been shipped air freight and tossed out of the plane as it flew over our house. Of course the nice original Lego box inside is now, well, just an original box. Grrrr.

Let's see what the seller suggests to make it right, but I'm rather annoyed. Not at the seller, but mainly at the parcel service that saw fit to run for the hills instead of waiting for my wife to open the door and at least own up to the damaged parcel.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
8/18/16 1:38 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy:

Hickory FTW

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/16 4:09 p.m.
WildScotsRacing wrote: In reply to Streetwiseguy: Hickory FTW

maybe C/F?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/16 5:08 p.m.

Went to look at a house with my son this afternoon. Very cheap ($37K) and listed as needs a new roof. It should have been listed as needs a bulldozer. That's the first time I have ever walked into a house and seen active termites on the ground underneath, it while looking through the floors.

1 ... 513 514 515 516 517 ... 2012

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XeCt8TPAQoOxNE0cuhtT9ciG0qJkrY6MOinWhy5Ig9vZcgD9Wwg0fNWgizA4SzMM