1 ... 963 964 965 966 967 ... 2016
Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/8/19 11:49 a.m.
Bent-Valve said:

Going to get Pyro a new vehicle next year. She's doing research and likes my CR-V. So we go to look at everything similar.

They should warn you, have a little flap with a red warning sticker, or something....

Sit down.....seriously.

I was at a Ford dealer a bit ago picking up a part for DD#1's C-Max.  There was a line of F-series trucks proudly displayed out front.  Each and every one of them had a sticker price in about that ballpark.

And then I thought about how many of those things I see every day, driven by regular people as regular vehicles.

And then I wondered what the hell all those people do for a living that makes them comfortable dropping that kind of money on something that will inevitably wear out and get replaced (numerous times) within their adult lifespans.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/8/19 12:03 p.m.
Duke said:
Bent-Valve said:

Going to get Pyro a new vehicle next year. She's doing research and likes my CR-V. So we go to look at everything similar.

They should warn you, have a little flap with a red warning sticker, or something....

Sit down.....seriously.

I was at a Ford dealer a bit ago picking up a part for DD#1's C-Max.  There was a line of F-series trucks proudly displayed out front.  Each and every one of them had a sticker price in about that ballpark.

And then I thought about how many of those things I see every day, driven by regular people as regular vehicles.

And then I wondered what the hell all those people do for a living that makes them comfortable dropping that kind of money on something that will inevitably wear out and get replaced (numerous times) within their adult lifespans.

I bought a house for not much more than that 2 years ago, holy crap

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/8/19 12:52 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Here's the listing for it here, the link to the local CL ad (with more pictures) is in the post I just made along with the lowered price...

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/201x-classifieds/1982-shelby-dodge-rampage-w-25-turbo-i-engine-fspickup-after-challenge-1900/143025/page1/

Ashyukun (Robert)
5/8/19 12:53 p.m.

I'm sure it's been discussed and griped about at length already, but today was the first time I got charged for posting a CL ad (re-posting the Rampage locally). Can't say I'm surprised- kind of shocking things have been free for so long- but it does still suck.

Antihero
5/8/19 1:02 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

In reply to Antihero :

Here's the listing for it here, the link to the local CL ad (with more pictures) is in the post I just made along with the lowered price...

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/201x-classifieds/1982-shelby-dodge-rampage-w-25-turbo-i-engine-fspickup-after-challenge-1900/143025/page1/

The want is real damn. It would defintly get down to the challenge in my possession too but i cant swing it for a bit, im selling a house and moving right now.

Im gonna really hope you have it when all thats done, because a fly and drive for that would be a lot of fun

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
5/8/19 2:10 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

That wasn't the one we were looking at. I don't mind buying Pyro a new vehicle. Last time was 2007, she will drive a vehicle until it dies. If her Ridgeline wasn't rusting out I'm not sure she would want a new one.

For me though? I guess maybe, but not one with that price. And not anytime soon. My CR-V has 120k until it hits 300k, then I'll look. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
5/8/19 3:06 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Where would you be driving it to? One thing I did learn in my time driving it around- at least for me at 6' tall the seats are NOT made for sitting in for hours on end... found that out when I ran around all day one day to Louisville and back hitting junkyards and picking up parts from CL sellers.

Antihero
5/8/19 3:39 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

In reply to Antihero :

Where would you be driving it to? One thing I did learn in my time driving it around- at least for me at 6' tall the seats are NOT made for sitting in for hours on end... found that out when I ran around all day one day to Louisville and back hitting junkyards and picking up parts from CL sellers.

Pretty far, eastern washington. Im 5'10 though, might be ok for me

Ashyukun (Robert)
5/8/19 3:46 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

That would definitely be a haul regardless of what you were driving!

Antihero
5/8/19 4:16 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

In reply to Antihero :

That would definitely be a haul regardless of what you were driving!

Absolutely, thats part of the adventure lol

I guess i should ask though....whats your confidence level thatll make that trip?

Ashyukun (Robert)
5/8/19 4:37 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Honestly I don't know- I've never driven it remotely that far... the most I've done was a couple hundred miles in a day. It's been a while since I did much regular driving of it- when I finally got the QX4 a bit over a year ago that became my default vehicle with the Rampage being relegated to being used when I needed to haul something that wouldn't fit in the SUVs or if I just wanted to drive something a bit more fun.

If I were taking it through the mountains I'd likely want better tires on the street wheels it has on it now- they were not a whole lot of fun the few times I've had it out in the snow, and I've been wholly unimpressed with the wipers in heavy rain. It has on occasion been a pain in the ass- the last time I took it out to drive around for the day it decided to unceremoniously die after fueling it up and then just as suddently (after 10 minutes of checking things and trying to figure out why) start back up and run just fine.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/19 5:01 p.m.
Duke said:
Bent-Valve said:

Sit down.....seriously.

The leases are cheeeeeeeap because pickups hold value.

Guy I work with cross shopped a new CTS-V vs. a loaded Silverado with the 6.2 and the full Escalade treatment.  The lease on the Chevy was about half per month.

Antihero
5/8/19 5:53 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

In reply to Antihero :

Honestly I don't know- I've never driven it remotely that far... the most I've done was a couple hundred miles in a day. It's been a while since I did much regular driving of it- when I finally got the QX4 a bit over a year ago that became my default vehicle with the Rampage being relegated to being used when I needed to haul something that wouldn't fit in the SUVs or if I just wanted to drive something a bit more fun.

If I were taking it through the mountains I'd likely want better tires on the street wheels it has on it now- they were not a whole lot of fun the few times I've had it out in the snow, and I've been wholly unimpressed with the wipers in heavy rain. It has on occasion been a pain in the ass- the last time I took it out to drive around for the day it decided to unceremoniously die after fueling it up and then just as suddently (after 10 minutes of checking things and trying to figure out why) start back up and run just fine.

Since i know jack diddly about mopar turbo engines and havent worked on anything similiar......adventure+5points

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/8/19 5:57 p.m.

Oh good. The douchebag with the rooster is now one of those Harley riding vajajays that thinks his bike needs to idle the whole time he's home. I'm now expecting a stanced Subaru any day now.

This is going to be a long berkeleying summer.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/8/19 7:06 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Or a diesel with an 8 inch exhaust.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
5/8/19 7:50 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

In reply to RevRico :

I have a combination of those nearby. Roosters from one house, diesel with massive exhaust and that guy also owns/knows people with and obnoxious 500 and infiniti from another. So chickens, brodozers, dumptruck four banger and loud vq.

At this point I would welcome harleys except they also exist.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/19 8:08 p.m.
RevRico said:

Oh good. The douchebag with the rooster is now one of those Harley riding vajajays that thinks his bike needs to idle the whole time he's home. I'm now expecting a stanced Subaru any day now.

This is going to be a long berkeleying summer.

If you'd like to go on vacation for a couple weeks, I'll AirBNB your place so I can have somewhere to do some tuning on my RX-7 with the midpipe off.

Harleys ain't got nothin' on a rotary with huge exhaust ports and open dual-outlet headers.

Disclaimer:  My next door neighbor bought a Harley but his wife didn't like him riding it (because he was in his 70s) so he just started it up every now and then and rode it 10 feet out the garage so he could wax it again.  To be honest, it didn't bother me all that much, but then it was completely stock and didn't have any kind of extra-loudifying exhaust on it.

Also, Larry died a couple months ago.  He was an awesome guy and the whole neighborhood's gonna miss him.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/8/19 8:09 p.m.

In reply to Grizz :

The guy across the street has some equipment, and tends to run it late in the night during the summer. I'm fine with it, mostly because I hope to borrow it, but that noise doesn't bother me so much. Even an obnoxious diesel I can tune out, although in all honesty the only reason I don't have one myself is because I can't afford it. (Not a bro, I actually like playing in mudholes)

The rooster crowing from sun up to sun down just does me in, especially since I can hear it in my bedroom with the all the doors and windows closed. 

This Harley thing though, ugh I went through it with the people on the other side years ago. Still have to deal with it the once or twice a year when they're in town. My bedroom window used to be about 20 feet from their garage. The wife was, and still is, the single loudest, most obnoxious, leave you wondering how no one has killed her yet alcoholic I've ever known, also with a shrill rooster like voice, and she loved to hear her husband bike. So it would run for 4 or 5 hours a day all summer long just idling in the garage, echoing around right outside my bedroom window with the occasional run up to red line. I get a little twitchy even stuck next to one at a red light these days, so I'm really hoping this isn't a permanent addition. 

I'm trying to find the polite way to remind him that his postage stamp lot may be surrounded by trees, but he does have neighbors, and his driveway does cut across my entire property. He's also only owned that place for 4 years, and I've been here 32. I keep trying, but typing a text or saying the words out loud turns it into "if you don't shut that feathered noise maker up, I'm shoving it  up the bikes tailpipe", so we haven't had a proper conversation yet. 

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
5/8/19 8:51 p.m.

Hawks kill chickens all the time, if he's one of those morons who let them wander around free

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
5/8/19 9:09 p.m.

I still remember my mom wanting to complain about the dude down the street with the loud fox body while I was the dumb high school kid with the straight piped 12 valve cummins. The rusty catless dual exhaust on her old truck wasn't very quiet either. And me being a dumb high school kid drove both of them in pretty late at night fairly often. Now the neighbors just have to put up with the rare occasion dad's muffler deleted 5.7 Hemi truck gets driven. They're probably going to be pretty amused here in a few weeks when I plan on getting home about 10pm ish driving that truck pulling a trailer with a not very light car on it. 

To be honest I've threatened on multiple occasions to just do the damn exhaust on that truck myself so I don't have to hear it anymore.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/19 9:38 p.m.
Grizz said:

In reply to Appleseed :

In reply to RevRico :

I have a combination of those nearby. Roosters from one house, diesel with massive exhaust and that guy also owns/knows people with and obnoxious 500 and infiniti from another. So chickens, brodozers, dumptruck four banger and loud vq.

At this point I would welcome harleys except they also exist.

I have often said that my abarth would be an obnoxious car if it weren't so damned cute looking. I do try to keep the noise to a minimum though, especially when work wants me in at 5am

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/8/19 9:50 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

What did SunTrust do? My place of employment is merging with them.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/8/19 10:15 p.m.

Oh good.  The income tax department is wrong about something, and now I have to convince them that they are wrong.  This should be fun...

Child support payments in Canada are taxable to the person paying the support.  I never paid, and don't owe. child support.  Spousal support is taxable to the person receiving the payments.  Revenue Canada just sent me a tax bill based on some child support calculation, and I presume it is because they didn't look at the copy of the divorce agreement, or my accountant didn't check a box somewhere.  

This is likely to be no fun at all.  

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/9/19 12:08 a.m.

My work partner just reheated a tub of lobster bisque in the office microwave. It smells like warm vomit and diarrhea mixed together. This is the same dude who shows up with a cooler full of food for one 12 hour shift. He is constantly eating, loudly. I hate coming in on shift after him because the keyboard and mouse are super greasy and disgusting. I once saw him eat a half fried chicken while sitting at the workstation.

Ugh.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
5/9/19 12:41 a.m.

New "tools" at work. A computer system that is supposed to streamline the service department and up sales for everyone. Sounds good yes? Except it won't run on the same browser that we have to use for our invoicing/inventory/RO program (the one the whole dealership uses which works quite well). New system does not in fact integrate at all with "our" system.

All it apparently does is give us a way to send pictures from the shop directly to the service writer, and parts quotes can be done completely electronically. Except we could already do that (phones that nobody uses, instant messaging that nobody uses, a printer network that means nobody really ever has to leave their desk, that nobody uses.)

Redundant is the only word. The writers still have to write the work orders, the techs still have to inspect the cars, we grunts in parts still have to key quotes and sales, customers still have to be called/talked to to approve anything. In fact, this new STREAMLINING tool makes everyone do their job twice. 

All this I can live with. I'm very used to taking on new responsibilities, and I don't mind doing extra work especially if it means more sales. What I can't handle is the team of folks here to train us on the new system. Dude stands behind me all day (arrogant asshat, who I can tell doesn't have much going for him and probably doesn't have many friends but I can see why and feel bad that life is hard but dude seriously just STFU for a minute and your social issues will fix themselves...) ANYWAY, Dude stands behind me all day, wondering out loud why the "parts bitch" isn't using the tools he just trained me on. So I calmly tell dude "Look, the guy next to me already quoted those parts for the writer, I'm not going to quote them again at the *electronic* request of the mechanic so he can then forward the same quote to the same writer. That is stupid, inneficient, and if this is all your system is doing for us then I'm not going to use it."

Efficiency. Streamlining. I'd be willing to bet next months wages that if we just fixed our communication issues and used the tools we already have and pay for we could out perform your $50k/yr sales tool. Asshat.

*Edit. Apparently Asshat reported my insubordination and I had to have a meeting with two department managers about why I was bucking the system. Luckily I am in good standing and both managers are reasonable and sided with me. Not sure what could have come from that but what crock of E36 M3. Asshat.

1 ... 963 964 965 966 967 ... 2016

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ch83pyRHM5TxrVVQw9BSwE2jXcC2SmXWhbrtoAjmq4rfotx8IVPnREEAjFq1PhHN