1 ... 280 281 282 283 284 ... 305
Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/7/24 9:02 a.m.

Triple win.  New lathe chuck showed up and fits.

I won $47.60 on the lottery Friday.

I was able to make a Focus DCT control unit function with my Snapon scan tool.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/7/24 12:07 p.m.

I've been going a little stir crazy lately. S.A.D. is a thing. Then my daughter got exposed to COVID on Friday tanking our weekend plans. Yesterday afternoon I told my wife that I wanted a Lego set to build. I went to 3-4 stores and didn't see anything I was interested in. I went home empty handed. After dinner I drove to the next town over and found a 50s Corvette kit at Target. Not necessarily my thing but it was better than nothing. As a last resort I stopped by Walmart and they had a couple kits I was actually interested in, the 60s Camaro and the Ford GT. I wound up buying the Gt and surprised my wife with a Giraffe kit. The three of us had a Lego building party for a couple hours. I had forgotten how cathartic building Legos was. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/8/24 7:47 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Triple win.  New lathe chuck showed up and fits.

I won $47.60 on the lottery Friday.

I was able to make a Focus DCT control unit function with my Snapon scan tool.

And today, the law of averages kicked in.  Went for a physical, jot a flu shot, a tetanus shot, my first shingles shot, so both arms hurt.  I found out my blood pressure is up again for some reason, and I have a leaky valve in my heart, so more cardiac stuff.  Thanks for the heart, Dad who died at 56.

Yay!

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/8/24 11:26 p.m.

my second batch of homemade mead turned out well, made it with dragonfruit this time. ~18% abv so you can taste the alcohol but its not unpleasant. I think what made the difference was that I stuck to a proper nutrient schedule

gixxeropa
1/9/24 6:35 p.m.

I've always joked about how useless my second bachelors in german language is, but its been one of the difference makers in getting my last two engineering jobs. Just got an offer for a position at a german company today (working in the US)

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/9/24 7:53 p.m.

In reply to gixxeropa :

HA! I always joke about how useless it was to take German instead of Spanish. Useful only for finding fellow nerds, I say. Congratulations! No need to answer but I'm gonna guess Siemens, like one of my fellow German classmate nerd engineers :P

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/9/24 9:48 p.m.
gixxeropa
1/10/24 11:15 a.m.

If i ever start a business, i will pay out profit sharing bonuses with giant novelty checks

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/10/24 11:59 a.m.

After six weeks of assorted yuck, it's been four days since I felt sick. Four glorious days of being able to breathe through my nose if and when the mood strikes (e.g. I want to feel fancy) and not having to excuse myself every ten minutes to emulate Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. Such freedom!

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/10/24 3:32 p.m.

Gas can spout "replacement"

The drill bit takes us from thinly veiled deception to in your face gas lighting cheekycheekycheeky

Wink Winking GIF by ZeTrystan - Find & Share on GIPHY

Link

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/11/24 7:26 p.m.

I love having a wine rep who comes in to work every week. I love being able to buy wine at wholesale prices. I especially love being able to buy wine at wholesale CLOSEOUT prices.

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
1/12/24 1:30 p.m.

Been playing wordle for almost 2 years, and today is the first time I've legitimately got it on the first try.  

It's the small things that keep you going.  

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/12/24 7:26 p.m.

The weekend before we left for our week-long tour of the mid/upper-west for the Holidays I found that the hot tub was tripping the GFCI and eventually determined that there was likely a short in the heater. I ordered a replacement control/heater unit instead of having to deal further with the already several-times-repaired original control board, and it arrived this morning. I'd hoped to have gotten right to work installing it, but it rained pretty much constantly until about 4pm when I was finally able to get to work on it. As much as I'd have liked to have waited and started earlier in a day to have more light it's supposed to be well below freezing for the next week so I wanted to get it up and running today so I wouldn't have to worry about it freezing.

After about an hour and a half of work and another hour filling it back up, it seems to be up and running mostly normally. Not completely- the secondary jet pump isn't coming on when I hit the button to tell it to turn on, but my guess is that I assumed wrong that the board was set up by default to have it enabled. In my rush to install it I didn't check the setting to make sure that it was, but it should be easy enough to diagnose and fix when it's not raining out. So hopefully in a few hours once it heats up to temperature and I put in the chemicals we'll have a usable hot tub again.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/14/24 12:37 p.m.

Fester the F-150 wouldn't shift out of 4low. Oh, no. How do you get to work when you top out at 25? Could be the actuators, vacuum lines, transfer case motor. And its -9 outside .

Read the owner's manual. Truck needs to be running, in neutral, with your foot on the brake. Problem solved,  you big dummy.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/24 12:52 p.m.

Nothing like snow removal at 15F below to make you feel alive and focus on staying that way. 

Furnace was erroring out this morning-- had to dig out and clean off the intake screen, but it recovered after that. 

Snow removal continues, but I'm taking a break for sake of fingers and toes. 

Win though is wife took care of this one--

Before

After

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/14/24 3:34 p.m.

I was scanning the interwebs for cool cars when I found a low mileage example of a car that I had to sell years ago. Mrs. Tester looked over my shoulder and said "you already had one like that, you can do what you want, but you should get a newer one". 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/14/24 11:19 p.m.

Today I watched my 10 year old daughter swim fast enough to qualify for the state tournament.  One of her close friends also qualified and a 3rd missed it by 0.04 seconds.  If they work together, all 3 of them will be at the state tournament in February and that will be really cool for them and fun to watch.  

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/24 10:33 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Read the owner's manual. Truck needs to be running, in neutral, with your foot on the brake. Problem solved,  you big dummy.

you are plus two sigma resourceful because you RTFM.

wae
wae PowerDork
1/15/24 4:33 p.m.

The local hydraulic shop said they couldn't remake the oil cooler line for the motorhome and sent me to Ohio Hydraulics, where I was going to go originally, before I realized there was a local shop.  On my way to Ohio Hydraulics, a friend texted me to ask if I wanted to turn a few laps at the indoor kart track that just happens to be about a mile away from where I was going anyway!

So I got my hoses repaired, resin for the 3D printer, and a couple dozen kart laps!

gixxeropa
1/15/24 10:12 p.m.

Bought an old Japanese-made 5 string banjo a few years ago for $50, learned to play on it, then sold it today for $200 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
1/15/24 11:09 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Since I'm a guy who sells hydraulic hose and fittings what prevented the first shop from making you a hose?

wae
wae PowerDork
1/15/24 11:41 p.m.

In reply to Datsun240ZGuy :

He referred to the fittings on the end of the rubber section that connect to the other oil cooler line section as "fancy" and said that he wouldn't be able to put those back on.  The other shop wound up cutting the crimp off the hard line, brazing a fitting onto the end of it, and then made a new soft line.  I don't know if maybe he wasn't set up to braze and that's why he couldn't do anything or if somehow Chevy used something really weird for the oil-cooler side of the hose and it wasn't something he had on the shelf.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
1/15/24 11:49 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Those guys did you right by making it work.  Appreciate the info - automotive stuff is hard on hydraulic guys.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
1/16/24 5:57 p.m.

A day or two before Christmas my battery went dead with my hazards on as I took a short walk in the woods. A few days after Christmas, after sitting, and in 10C weather it wouldn't start. I thought I'd try a bunch of charge/discharge cycles with my smart charger, and now, on the coldest days of the year, it's been starting fine.

Stupid car takes an unusual and expensive battery. Not really feeling it.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/16/24 6:10 p.m.

Was just about to drive over to the Dodge dealership and pay $500 for a part and two sensors when some niggling thought occurred to me. "Check online first." I almost ignored it, thinking Mopar "stores" would all be the same price. 
Nope, I can wait a few days for $300 shipped to arrive. Also, "Stealerships" is right

1 ... 280 281 282 283 284 ... 305

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N87qfyLNl7GLnFlyHyFkmY70e2jxFixaI10U4gR1Jfyr2UAdphDrsm5ClsRMQxxt