Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
7/22/11 9:52 p.m.

I have seen a few road trip threads popping up recently and a coworker has inspired me to make a trip of my own. I have a week in mid august after an internship and before my final year of college and I want to go visit some friends in Pine Bluff, Arkansas and another in Memphis, Tennessee. I will be starting out in south east Pennsylvania, and the overall trip is 1200mi each way, so I have plenty of sights to see along the way - just looking for more ideas on what to see. I am making the trip with one friend who is a gear head too, but we don't want to stop at only automotive related places.

The list of ideas so far:

Tail of the Dragon
Blue Ridge Parkway
Skyline Drive
Nashville
Memphis
Dollywood
Elvis

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
7/22/11 10:12 p.m.

I keep telling the wife that we should go to Dollywood every summer and she always tells me no.

There was a police museum that featured Bufford Pusser near Dollywood. Now closed - probably the economy too.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2218

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
7/23/11 3:31 a.m.

I like this TV show and if you zoom around this map you will likely find some good choices around Nashville and Memphis.
Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives
http://www.flavortownusa.com/

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
7/23/11 5:29 a.m.

I lived in Memphis but never got to the Civil Rights Museum...folks that have been there say it's a moving experience, not at all like you expect. Still in Memphis, not all that far from Graceland or the C.R. Museum is the National Ornamental Museum.

If you drop down into Mississippi before crossing over into Arkansas you can visit the Delta Blues Museum (though that would take you slightly out of your way) and cross over into Arkansas at Helena. Or drop down further and cross at Greenland, so you have a chance to visit some of the small towns in Ms. where the blues were born.

No matter which way you go, once you cross over into Ar. it will ALL be small towns and villages until Pine Bluff. So definitely havve a cooler in your vehicle.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
7/23/11 9:33 a.m.

Blue ridge is a sea of RV's, with cops every few feet ready to pop you should you bother trying to pass an RV. Run some of the other roads alongside the blueridge and you can actually move.

Roadsideamerica.com has lots of strange and silly things to see along the way.

Waltons mountain is kinda fun, once.

Through Tenn. I find I can see the sights better from the interstates. Along the back roads I'm so busy dodging logging trucks and the like that I can't look around.

Dirt roads are fun.

Dog Patch Ar wasn't worth detouring to go see, but it was amazing that they convinced me to detour so far for nothing.

Dolly World and the like are a fascinating experience. It's like landing on another planet.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte HalfDork
7/24/11 9:14 a.m.

Parthenon in Nashville is neat and only a few blocks off the 440 bypass. Lane auto museum in Nashville is legendary. Beale street in Memphis.Clinton presidential Library in Little Rock is worlds largest mobile home, and a world war two submarine is only a few blocks away, pretty good tour if you aren't claustrophobic.

flountown
flountown Reader
7/24/11 5:49 p.m.

Jack Daniels factory tour?

I know if I was making a trip, I'd try to stop at any brewery or distillery that offers tours to the public...

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Reader
7/24/11 8:20 p.m.

While at pigeon forge, go on up to clingman's dome, the view is great and the road is pretty sweet too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aHxGpIYHKcF5kKhX571d1Opq64OCDZVmNoqQxp2smybh4FVzr0OuAsJjbC3phlXM