1 2 3
DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
6/25/09 8:37 p.m.

One of my ricer buddies said this today "The new Camaro needs weight watchers, kinda like my girlfriend."

Hal
Hal HalfDork
6/25/09 9:36 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: One of my ricer buddies said this today "The new Camaro needs weight watchers, kinda like my girlfriend."

Agree, An orange one showed up at the local cruise-in last Saturday. Parked between my Focus and an early Camaro, and dwarfed both of them.

My impressions:

Front - Ok but what is with that "extra" grille high up?

Side - Not bad I sort of like it.

Back - Just plain ugly, looked like some one put a couple red reflectors on an orange barn door.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
6/25/09 11:36 p.m.

The new GT-R is a fat pig, and people still nut swing from those. Who cares it's a beautiful car, but yes it needs some weight loss.

triumph7
triumph7 New Reader
6/26/09 7:35 a.m.

Just like the Challenger... should have been (lots) smaller and lighter.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
6/26/09 8:38 a.m.

First off it is a VERY polarizing car. I might be interested in a few years when they drop below $20k. Beyond that, I'm just gonna follow the Thumper Rule.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/26/09 12:19 p.m.

why does it have fake 2nd-gen taillights when it's obviously trying to be a fake first-gen? and why did they have to go all pontiac with the grille being (almost) the leading surface of the car? i hate that look.

griffin729
griffin729 New Reader
6/26/09 12:38 p.m.

I've seen a few around town the last week or so. Oddly they all seemed to have out of state plates. I think it looks not much different than the 06 Detroit show car which is nice that concept to production not much changed. Over all I think I like it. Am I going to be buying one? Problably not. Of course, I'm not likely to be buying any car soon. I can't even afford a challenge car right now.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/26/09 12:55 p.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new-cars/2010-chevrolet-camaro-rs/

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
6/26/09 1:11 p.m.

i['v eseen a number o fthem on the road, and i thin kthey look actually quite good. Very aggressive.

But I like seeing the Challengers on the road, too.

So long as Civics got so big and heavy that Honda had to introduce a smaller car that is STILL considerably bigger and heavier than the original Civics, I'm not gonna complain about the weight of a modern fast V8 musclecar.

Soma007
Soma007 New Reader
6/26/09 1:52 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new-cars/2010-chevrolet-camaro-rs/

Are you guys sure about that live axle part? Might want to take a look under it real quick :)

JohnGalt
JohnGalt Reader
6/26/09 2:06 p.m.
Soma007 wrote:
Tim Baxter wrote: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new-cars/2010-chevrolet-camaro-rs/
Are you guys sure about that live axle part? Might want to take a look under it real quick :)

+1 on this one. I do not think the Camaro has a stick in the back. Almost positive is has about the same IRS that the GTO and G8 come with.

oldtin
oldtin New Reader
6/26/09 2:09 p.m.

It's fat like the challenger. 1,000 lbs overweight

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/26/09 2:10 p.m.

Good catch, guys.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/26/09 8:22 p.m.

boo-hoo, the plastic inside isn't as nice as a car that costs $20k more. american cars are teh suxxors.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/26/09 8:48 p.m.

There's a difference between cheap plastics and an a-pillar coming off there Angry...

Other than the dash I thought the interior looked and felt nice (go for the leather though, the cloth seats are really horrible quality), the ergonomics just sucked all of the life out of the car for me.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/26/09 9:13 p.m.

I'm not liking it too much. I hated the last generation too. If I show up at the factory, can I get one less the body. They won't even have to build it.

Dorsai
Dorsai New Reader
6/26/09 9:32 p.m.
oldtin wrote: It's fat like the challenger. 1,000 lbs overweight

+1

Park the new one beside a first gen and you see where they copped the styling cues, but it's so big and bloated. It's got the Kirstie Alley disease, they need to Jenny Craig the hell out of it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/26/09 10:08 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: boo-hoo, the plastic inside isn't as nice as a car that costs $20k more. american cars are teh suxxors.

Just thinking about this some more, and maybe I'll amend my original comments. I can live with the plastic-y interior and NVH if the car has some balls--and I'm not talking about 0-60 numbers.

When I twist the key, I should feel some excitement. Let me know that the fun is about to begin. The latest Camaro makes an impressive 300+ horsepower from the base V6, but I think my TV awakes with more gusto. It's what separates an STI from a base WRX.

And I'm not slamming the Americans. The Mustang Cobra, Bullitt, Focus SVT, Z06, SRT-4 and CTS-V all had that little edge. It's hard to pinpoint the exact quality, but it was something special. I want my Camaro to have that swagger. And who knows, maybe it's a few bolt-ons away. Or maybe the V8 car has it.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/26/09 11:42 p.m.

A V8 model with solid motor mounts and a nice exhaust might give you that tingle :)

PHeller
PHeller HalfDork
6/27/09 12:01 a.m.

Remember, I think it was a Road and Track or Car and Driver that, for once, awarded a car with less power and alot less of everything (Mustang) over a Challenger and Camaro.

The Challenger was a big a car. Put a new one next to an old one, and they are probably right around the same size.

I think the thing that hurts the Camaro is that really bloated front end design. I think the 1969 model is about as long, but the boxy overhangs are what makes the new model looks so big.

The 09 Mustang is not exactly skinny or small, but Ford is sharpening its knife.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/27/09 7:15 a.m.

Video's up on the YouTubes. Should be up on the regular site video page by Monday.

jg

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/28/09 10:03 a.m.

Cool vid. I love the shot of the non-burnout. lol

The V6 sounds pretty good too.

mapper
mapper New Reader
6/28/09 10:26 a.m.

I had a 66 Mustang fastback and think the new Mustang captures a lot of the early Mustang look but I saw a early fastback on the road the other day and realized how much bigger they are now. It made the 66 look like a toy.

I also had a 73 Challenger with a 340. The Challenger was a fat pig and a poor third to the Mustang and Camaro back then. It's the same today. I am mostly a Mopar/Mazda/Nissan guy but I still think the Mustang is the only one that got it right this time.

Steve

M030
M030 Reader
6/28/09 10:35 a.m.

I loved the looks of the concept car and I put a deposit on one the very day that GM announced production.

I took delivery of my black SS/RS in the beginning of May. I still love how it looks and I think GM did a great job of staying true to design of the concept car.

I owned it for two weeks. It was big, heavy and cool looking.

Driving it was not so much fun because it was hard to see out of, the steering felt numb and (to paraphrase whatthe British magazine "CAR" said about the C5 Corvette) it was "all grip and no handling".

I had it parked at my shop a few Sundays ago and some kid came in offering me $5000 over sticker for it. Cash. So, of course, I sold it.

I like how the new Camaro looks and I certainly cannot complain about my ownership experience

M030
M030 Reader
6/28/09 10:37 a.m.

"I want my Camaro to have that swagger. And who knows, maybe it's a few bolt-ons away. Or maybe the V8 car has it."

The V8 car does

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h3mtCCYrneuguIcLz5abzuOLSnPuKv7nkPZt7xYDgr19hSs827KjVkOOKrGeFzCl