1 2 3
secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/22/17 8:57 p.m.

So it appears that FCA will be building a pickup based on the new JL Wrangler chassis. Some conceptual renderings have been produced, but I'm not sure it they are accurate. So what does the hive think? I predict that they will be massively overpriced and have thousands in markup, not sell very well, get highly discounted after the short life cycle ends due to poor sales, and then be highly sought after 20 years after production ceases (kinda like the original Scrambler).

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
8/22/17 9:04 p.m.

I'm buying one.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/22/17 9:05 p.m.

I've been seeing things like this for as long as I can remember. I won't believe you until I see one in person. Much like the Bronco.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
8/22/17 9:07 p.m.

Current 4dr Jeeps outsell 2dr version by a ton. How can it be that it took years any years to go to a 4dr version and or never really offered the CJ6 or CJ8 in the US?

I predict these 4dr pickups will sell well. The Dakota is dead. This will fill that void.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
8/22/17 9:18 p.m.

It was announced in the news today a Chinese auto manufacturer is looking into buying Jeep...it's not formal by any means (apparently FCA has no comment) but I wonder if it happens how it will affect any future planned vehicles like this one.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
8/22/17 9:47 p.m.

This should have been around a decade ago.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/22/17 10:10 p.m.

Hot take: it's way too long. Waaaaaaay too long. The frame is something like three feet (!) longer than the 4-door wrangler. "Proof"

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/22/17 10:22 p.m.

So somebody says they want a real bed and 4 doors and you complain when it's long?

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/22/17 10:36 p.m.

The JT Wrangler (pickup version) is slated for production in 2019. The 3.0 turbo diesel and 8 speed auto are confirmed. Along with a 4cyl turbo (codenamed Hurricane) and an updated 3.6L Pentastar. The 6 speed manual will still be offered but probably not with the diesel.

I have been following this since Jeep showed off the Gladiator concept truck in 2005 and hoping it would come to fruition.

I imagine the truck version will start around $35k, which is a lot of coin.

I want one in the worst way possible but short of winning the lottery, I doubt I'll every be able to own one.

I own a 2012 Wrangler but I would love a Jeep with some utility. Plus solid axles front and rear.

Chrysler teased us for years with concepts but they shied away from producing a truck version of the Wrangler because they were worried it would canniblize sales from Ram. Now that the "midsize" truck market is heating up, they want a piece of the pie.

I think there is room in the market for both the Wrangler truck and Ram. Different vehicles for different buyers. Nobody has been buying Dakotas since like 2005 and it is very uncompetitive.

thatsnowinnebago
8/22/17 11:51 p.m.
Chadeux wrote: So somebody says they want a real bed and 4 doors and you complain when it's long?

I want a real bed and TWO doors, as the good Lord intended

I also don't like 4-door Tacos, Frontiers, celery, or cucumbers. So I clearly have funny opinions.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
8/23/17 12:05 a.m.

Question is for me what are people going to be trading in for these. I suspect H2s or H3s. Which might make for an interesting little burst on the second hand car market. I say this because it seemed to me that a lot of RX8s as well as 300ZXs started showing up in the classifieds shortly after the 350Z first came out.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
8/23/17 12:47 a.m.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi PowerDork
8/23/17 7:07 a.m.
fasted58 wrote:

Sorry, that's obviously a disguised new beetle.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
8/23/17 7:25 a.m.
secretariata wrote: I predict that they will be massively overpriced and have thousands in markup, not sell very well, get highly discounted after the short life cycle ends due to poor sales, and then be highly sought after 20 years after production ceases (kinda like the original Scrambler).

+1000000000

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/23/17 7:48 a.m.

I'd buy the two door if it has a real box.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/23/17 8:17 a.m.

The two door with a manual is the old man truck I want. I will sell many things if they offer it like that.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
8/23/17 9:30 a.m.

Agreed, two-door wins, it is obvious.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
8/23/17 10:24 a.m.

I predict they will sell like hotcakes to suburban Dad's with upper middle management jobs, who will then deck them out in Jeep "outdoor lifestyle gear" that will never see use but make them feel like they are back in their frat again. The bed will be used to haul stuff to/from kids sports practice and gigantic 96 roll bulk packs of T.P. from Costco.

One day it will snow 1" in their city and they will proclaim with great authority to their wife that THIS is why they bought a four wheel drive vehicle! They will then throw it in four low and proceed to pirouette into a ditch as all four wheels scramble for traction on the actual ice that covers the road. Their neighbor will offer to give them a ride to work in their Prius V which made it up the gated neighborhood's only hill with ease.

I'm not wrong...

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/23/17 10:48 a.m.

If diesel+6 speed manual can be had for ~40k I'm likely in. Towing needs to be 5k+ though.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
8/23/17 10:55 a.m.
nocones wrote: If diesel+6 speed manual can be had for ~40k I'm likely in. Towing needs to be 5k+ though.

My money is on the diesel only be being available on the Rubicon edition with technology package (or some other stupid $$$ package you don't really want).

thatsnowinnebago
8/23/17 10:59 a.m.

Rumor has it that this will only be offered in a 4-door.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/23/17 11:07 a.m.

If it ends up with a diesel, a perfect storm will brew. Jeep bros will collide with diesel truck bros. The earth will be reduced to a sooty cloud of ash as prius owners cower, and mindless zombies wearing tapout shirts and white oakleys will roam the earth moaning "squaaaaaaaat" as each poorly fitted lift kit drives by.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi PowerDork
8/23/17 11:16 a.m.
mndsm wrote: If it ends up with a diesel, a perfect storm will brew. Jeep bros will collide with diesel truck bros. The earth will be reduced to a sooty cloud of ash as prius owners cower, and mindless zombies wearing tapout shirts and white oakleys will roam the earth moaning "squaaaaaaaat" as each poorly fitted lift kit drives by.

You forgot to mention Carolina Squat...

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
8/23/17 12:22 p.m.

Its a cool idea, but if they made it with the same option and same price as a colorado, i would pick the colorado. But im bad at understanding the market. When they introduced the four door wrangler i said "Why would anyone buy that? Its just another midsized suv and every other midsized suv is better at being a midsized suv." Then they sold a billion of them.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
8/23/17 12:32 p.m.

I'd be interested in the diesel/6MT option as long as it'll tow 7500+ lbs

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZBxf6eyshDX59jsYrhwFlVsO2syD3bD07wJUeVcznfBn1O9rvfQSX2ncWsTIQSRp