1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/15/24 1:44 p.m.

Decided toward the end of last year, I need to get my health in order (just turned 42). Bloodwork was not great, but everything was below the medication line except my cholesterol. It was so high, she made me have an ultrasound on my liver before prescribing anything. Everything came back good, started Atorvastatin. Didn't take long for my right foot to become half numb and tingly with the occasional shooting pain. 

YAY! Peripheral neuropathy, an uncommon but possible side effect of statin drugs. She said there is really no point in trying other statins, because they will likely have the same effect. 

Now, I know I need to lose A LOT of weight, clean up my diet, and dramatically cut back on the booze. 

So to my question, have any of you experienced similar? Any experience taking Vascepa (prescription fish oil)? Or Repath a once per month injectable? 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
3/15/24 3:43 p.m.

My wife is all natural stuff - some say it's a waste of money.  I was supposed to go on the statin but we tried this and it helped my numbers.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/15/24 4:57 p.m.

ONE glass of red wine with dinner.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/15/24 5:18 p.m.

In reply to Datsun240ZGuy :

The unfortunate thing about OTC supplements is they go through Food side of the FDA, not the Drug side of FDA. So they don't have to provide any efficacy studies. "These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease."

So things like that and OTC fish oil can improve numbers, there is no scientific evidence to show they also protect against heart disease and stroke. Because those trials run millions and millions of dollars. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/15/24 5:30 p.m.

Diet and exercise can help, but unfortunately a major driver of high cholesterol is genetics. In other words, there may be only so much you can do. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try, of course. I've been on statins for many years. I do get numbness and tingling in my wrists and hands sometimes, though I never made the connection.

In any case, a fiber supplement like Metamucil can help to bring the numbers down, as well.

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/15/24 5:40 p.m.

You are lucky that your doctor listened to you and caught the problem early. Statins put my dad into kidney failure. He was on Dialysis for about six weeks before his kidneys started working again.

It initially presented as lower back pain and numbness in his extremities. He bought a new recliner, was prescribed additional medications, and myriad other things before he went in the hospital unable to walk. It took several months for him to rehab after leaving the hospital, and he still has numbness and weakness, six years after.

So yeah, statins are wonderful medicine for a lot of folks, but they should be treated very carefully. 

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
3/15/24 5:52 p.m.

Yeah, I also cannot tolerate statins, and my heart doc put me on Repatha - you better have a good insurance setup cause it is SPENDY! Every two weeks injection via epi pen, not once a month BTW. It's easy enough and only stings a bit once in a while while you're doing it. Afterwards it doesn't hurt at all.

But, here's the good news - it works. My cholesterol was never horrible but after two heart attacks my doc wanted it lower..... it's currently 50 good over 35 bad.

I also dropped about 20-25 lbs, but again, I was 215 and went down to 190 so not horrible. I would like to go lower and am working on it......a 75 year old man doesn't need to weigh this much.

Bottom line, see if your Doc can get you on Repatha.

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
3/15/24 5:58 p.m.

Mine was up at one point in the past enough that I would have to go on medication if it stayed up.  I decreased my saturated fat intake, increased my fat burn/cardio activity levels, and increased fiber in my diet.  It dropped 70 points in 6 months.

I was not overweight, exercised regularly, don't smoke, don't drink much, etc. so it shocked me to begin with.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/15/24 10:03 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

Diet and exercise can help, but unfortunately a major driver of high cholesterol is genetics. In other words, there may be only so much you can do. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try, of course.

I have always wondered how much of "genetics" is actually cooking and eating like you were raised.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
3/15/24 10:09 p.m.

There is a small, poorly done study about brazil nuts vs. cholesterol.,you can google it. It indicates that eating as few as 4 brazil nuts once a month can lower cholesterol.  I decided what the hell, brazil nuts are cheap and can't hurt me.  Since I've started eating 4 brazil nuts once a month, my LDL is 39.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
3/15/24 10:29 p.m.

Following, just got tossed into low dose atorvastatin and fish oil back in Jan after rolling high on cholesterol. <40, 5'11 / 180, probably a couple too many PBR (liver tests normal), play soccer once a week, and mostly walk the dog a >mile a day. Sleep is crap with 3 kids <3 but try to eat well.

Read high in Oct so suggested behavior changes before medication but popped about the same in Jan. Admittedly my efforts were probably small at the time with holidays and bunch of travel. 

Hadn't been high in the past bit Dr. mentioned sometimes at about 40 thing's just happen, implied genetics to me as previous male history of heart issues. Will update if I remember in a month after follow up to see if things have dropped. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
3/15/24 10:45 p.m.

My doc said to use an OTC fish oil and b6 for my neuropathy in my one leg. Does fix anything but it beats chewing on some other pill.

JFW75
JFW75 New Reader
3/16/24 2:47 a.m.

Family history of hypercholesteremia, aka eye poppingly high cholesterol levels no matter what you eat. 

Had a 3x CABG at 34, which was 16 years back. LDL was mid 300's. Hospital looks at you funny when you are tall and lean, present with chest pain and a resting HR of 55,and BP of 110/60. Don't recomend, the drugs are much easier than open heart surgery.

Max dose statins, niaspan, prescription fish oil (avoid at all costs, it's foul), etc etc. for years and the numbers were better, 120-150 total, but Repatha or Praulent PCSK9 inhibitors have done the trick. Dropped total numbers to 60-90, and holds them there.  

Statins suck, but a mix of CoQ10, glucosamine, and magnesium keep most of the muscle pain at bay. Still on max dose of Lipitor plus the PCSK9 injections. Get genetic testing done, see which genes are affected. Lots of niche drugs coming out for lipid issues targeted at which ones are screwed up. Get tested for lipoprotien(a) and the VLDL fractions, and if your cardiologist doesn't reccomend that at least once, find one who does. 

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
3/16/24 3:38 a.m.

Taking psyllium every day is another cheap, harmless way to lower cholesterol.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
3/16/24 6:55 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

When I went with a no red meat, no dairy diet, my cholesterol numbers became incredibly good. I know a few people who went that route an improved their numbers as well. However, for some, meds are the only answer that works. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
3/16/24 10:59 a.m.

Targeted gene therapies are getting insane; we finally have one for cystic fibrosis that came out in 2020 that adds decades to their lifespan. I advocate for a little gene testing too.

Looking at the Repatha site and this paper published on it's pharmakonetics, it looks like it functions via directly inhibiting the liver from producing forms of low-density lipoprotien (aka "Bad cholesterol") at the source, while at the same time increasing the conversion of cholesterols into other, higher density forms- which in the blood will grab and trap the lighter density versions. High density is the "Good" cholesterol. Most of the issues seem to be possible diabetes and endocrine dysfunction, not liver damage directly. I'm a nurse, but I cannot give you actual medical advice especially in this context- but I CAN say, that if diabetes is a concern and you agree to try Repatha, do start cutting back on sugars anyway just so you're already set up for success.

So you know- the only diet that actually has restoratative effects on cholesterol is veganism/vegitarianism (possibly pescatarianism too, but I havent seen actual study on that). If you like to cook, I can highly recommend some channels with some basic recipes that you can easily have a "clean" white meat on the side with as a dietary alteration. Lentils and rice is tasty.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/16/24 11:02 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Cholestoff is tested. It worked for me as well.  The reduction isn't huge. But it helps. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/16/24 6:14 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

Diet and exercise can help, but unfortunately a major driver of high cholesterol is genetics. In other words, there may be only so much you can do. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try, of course.

I have always wondered how much of "genetics" is actually cooking and eating like you were raised.

It is. My mother is a tiny thing who eats healthy and just texted me she is going kayaking and would call me later and still has high cholesterol.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/16/24 6:23 p.m.

Apparently single malt scotch helps, I plan in a rigorous schedule of a nice Islay everyday

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/16/24 6:36 p.m.

10ish years ago I was able to lower my cholesterol Throgh diet as exercise. It wasn't crazy high but total was 240-250.    Got down to 180ish. 

now I'm right back there with my weight and I fell off the exercise horse. berkeley. I'm not gonna like my physical this year. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/17/24 11:39 a.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

I know the biggest thing is getting all this extra weight off.

They didn't tell me the numbers, but I assume it was horrible since they sent me to get an ultrasound before they would prescribe meds for it.

I go back next month, I've lost a few pounds but I know I need to accelerate that and keep it going.

Thanks for all the input!

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/17/24 11:59 a.m.

The last two years my cholesterol results were high, around 240. 

I am 46, 5'11" and ~174#. I think weight wise I am ok, but my family has a history of high cholesterol. 

My doctor recommended these before we go to prescribed medicine, been taking red yeast and the omega(haven't tried cholestoff yet). Two pills each a day, and I am not really good at remembering, so say 4/7 days a week and my last results came in at 178. 

I get them at Costco. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/17/24 12:42 p.m.

Ok, I'm not reading this whole thread because...I don't feel like it. 

CLIFFS NOTES OF MY TALE-

Heart failure May 2020.

Morbidly Obese. 

A1C indicating i'm fixing to lose a foot. 

Cholesterol saying bad E36 M3 too. 

Had a hard time tying my shoes. 

BP was making my heart doc need BP meds. 

Got laid out with a mystery as yet undiagnosed neuro issue that means I can't really do a ton of exercise, let alone walking. Put on more weight, for fun. Couldn't tie my shoes effectively. berkeleyin' shameful. 

March 27th 2023- started on wegovy for weight loss. Also started a SERIOUS diet. ( 1800 was the goal, I've been a lot closer to sub 1500 the whole time) Still can't excercise. Been eating like a four year-old (seriously. Costco chicken nuggets. Every. Day. 140 cal/3oz portion. 3 portions for lunch. lil dip dip for flavor. I could be Jared from subway without the kiddie touchin') 

Nov 10 2023- I am no longer considered morbidly obese. 

March 1 2024- I am roughly 5lbs (give or take) from no longer being considered overweight. With my shoes on. I will most likely be done with the weight loss program my next visit on may 6. My weight no longer starts with a 2. I haven't seen numbers like that since Bill Clinton was in office. 

March 7 2024- I start with a new heart doc after my old one leaves his practice. His computer doesn't believe my weight loss. He's incredulous at all my numbers and the meds i'm on. Immediately we cut one of my BP meds and my statin in half. 

It can be done. High protein, low carb (by nature, that's where they hide the calories) almost no dairy (it tastes funny to me anyhow, side effect of this neuro thing methinks). Weight loss doc even said at my age (And yours, you're two years younger than me) that exercise means berkeley all towards actual weight loss. It's calories in vs calories out. 3500 calories is 1lb of fat in either direction. To burn 3500 calories, you need to walk 150k steps or....75 miles. What stuck with me more than anything was no crazy restrictions. No keto, no fad, etc etc. Idiot proof. Read labels, measure everything. It helps my food cravings are pretty low cal by nature. Spicy food isn't necessarily high fat. Salt is fat free. I don't eat a ton of sweets- and if I do I can eat a protein bar. Shrimp and tuna by my math seem to be the most effective meat based protein sources out there. Poultry is excellent as well. Beef, not so much. Pork's not too bad, depending on the cut. 

Happy to answer any specifics you have. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/23/24 4:35 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Nice going man. Is there anything you can do for the neuro issue? My kid's got POTS and has figured out how to exercise after some real scary E36 M3 back in 2020-22. 

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/23/24 4:47 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Fish oil and Niacin is where I was pointed by my doctor.

Also, almonds and other nuts work wonders for for me. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xKKWIy87220hidMpsXOjY61LkhAd0cBSrpfDUyGI876vxs4jH6pyuYTihWztHiUe