1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/7/23 12:05 p.m.

(sorry, I had to remove this, no way I am going to set myself up that way)

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/7/23 12:13 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Just so you know Anthony is still here.  Frenchy is gone.  Not my party or the order I would have done that.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
9/7/23 12:21 p.m.
aircooled said:

As someone who very much tries to be as objective as possible (certainly not perfect) his, and Bob's points about certainly "slants" being given more leeway here, I would certainly agree.  That of course is more the result of the general makeup of the board (or at least the vocal parts of it) than GRM.  I would just encourage everyone to be aware of these "slanted" comments and call them out, from whatever direction they come from whether you agree with them or not.  Calling out a slanted comment that you agree with is pretty much the hight of objectivity, it's something everyone should strive for (here, and out in the world)

I'm assuming people are saying that conservative voices are censured more than liberal ones. The implication being that the owners of this board are friendlier towards liberal voices.

Counter hypothesis: There are more, stronger conservative voices here than liberal ones. Although the overall board is relatively moderate, there is a larger conservative tail than liberal one. The moderators are more inclined to silence extreme viewpoints, and there are some strongly conservative leaning, but basically no extreme liberals on this board.

You might as well say that the moderators here shut down men more than women, and this is clearly an anti-male bias. No. The population is just overwhelmingly male.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/7/23 12:24 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to aircooled :

Just so you know Anthony is still here.  Frenchy is gone.  Not my party or the order I would have done that.

Wow, really?  Definitely not the way I would have thought.

It was mguar's second chance (at least), however.

If you consistently think everybody else in the room is an shiny happy person, maybe the shiny happy person is you.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/7/23 12:25 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Thank you for that.   All of this probably should have been made more clear as what is actually going on.

If Frenchy is gone.  I really don't agree.  I understand he could be hard to communicate with, but he seemed to really mean well. He certainly was not mean or aggressive in anyway I saw.  He is also, very much, not a young man and I think some of his perceived failing are related to that.

Stampie
9/7/23 12:33 p.m.
aircooled said:

(sorry, I had to remove this, no way I am going to set myself up that way)

Thanks for the laugh.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/7/23 12:34 p.m.
Beer Baron said:
aircooled said:

As someone who very much tries to be as objective as possible (certainly not perfect) his, and Bob's points about certainly "slants" being given more leeway here, I would certainly agree.  That of course is more the result of the general makeup of the board (or at least the vocal parts of it) than GRM....

I'm assuming people are saying that conservative voices are censured more than liberal ones. The implication being that the owners of this board are friendlier towards liberal voices....

No, I think I pretty clearly stated that was not the case in my opinion.

As for the rest, I don't entirely disagree.   I would say, the occasional right wing "truth bomb" gets dropped, while a lot of little left wing "truth grenades" get thrown.  The "bombs" tend to get noticed more, which I guess is natural, but they are both inappropriate.  A loud explosion, everyone will hear. A soft one, if you are used to hearing them a lot, will be ignored by most.

I would also say, at least currently, the moderators are not shutting things down based on what is being argued, but what it results in.  So I honestly don't see any slant in the area of shutting things down.

Completely unrelated (because I never saw any political behavior), but I would really like to know why Frenchy is out?

I would also like to point out.  The fact that I felt compelled to remove my comment above, I think, says a LOT!

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/7/23 12:47 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I would have booted frenchyd because he shut down every thread about EVs for the last several months. EVs are an up-and-coming segment for grassroots motorsports and we could not discuss them without him stomping all over the thread with misinformation.

Anthony could be annoying but IIRC most of his transgressions were in the off-topic areas. It is probable that Off Topic is given more leeway than the GRM section simply because it is off-topic. 

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/7/23 12:56 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

That's one hell of a mosquito.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/7/23 12:58 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

This. When you continue to do the same thing over and over and get productive discussions E36 M3 down it's time to go. 

as for your reply to my comment I agree and it's why I said it is what it is. Not good nor bad, just exists. I learned my lesson in certain topics that are not open for discussion as they are apparently settled and no longer open to be discussed. It is sad and I am a little disappointed but that's life. I wanted to be rich and good looking. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/7/23 1:01 p.m.
Shadeux said:

That's one hell of a mosquito.

I thought it was a dragonfly...I'm not an entomologist but I think mosquito's have more legs.

Edit:  It looks like both have six appendages but mosquito's have six legs and dragonfly's have four legs and two arms.

Edit, Edit:  I'm surprised that Frenchy got booted...I never got the impression that he was a troll or disrespected the rules...just an older gentleman behaving like older gentleman often behave.  

Do Dragonflies Bite or Sting Humans? - Dragonfly Bites, Explained 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/7/23 1:02 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Well, you are good looking but you CHOOSE to own a racecar.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/7/23 1:12 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to bobzilla :

You're a terrible liar but thanks. Unless you're trying to get into my pants.... pro-tip compliments don't cut it but condiments might.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/7/23 1:20 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to Toyman! :

This. When you continue to do the same thing over and over and get productive discussions E36 M3 down it's time to go.....

Uhmmm......

Awkward - Reaction GIFs

(NOT pointing back at you BTW):

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/7/23 1:22 p.m.

Let me add that this is not my favorite part of the job by far, whether it occurs during the 9-5 or not. I don’t enjoy policing posts, locking threads, asking people to play nicely or, in some instances, disabling their accounts. We’re all adults. 

Like Margie has stated, picture this forum like a party–or, if you’d rather, like a gathering at a bar. We’d like to keep things fair and inviting so our guests return, ideally with friends. 

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/7/23 1:22 p.m.

Well, personally I found Anthony to be more disruptive than Frenchy. 

Frenchy has experience racing that most don't and won't; he brought a lot to the party.  He obviously also had opinions that some couldn't just ignore.

Is being deactivated at GRM permanent or temporary?

E_NinjA
E_NinjA New Reader
9/7/23 1:25 p.m.

In reply to CJ :

It likely doesn't matter, permanent or not. I know that if I were banned, I would likely not return. I would most definitely feel unwelcome.

In reply to E_NinjA :

You've obviously never met Mguar...

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
9/7/23 1:31 p.m.
aircooled said:

I would also say, at least currently, the moderators are not shutting things down based on what is being argued, but what it results in.  So I honestly don't see any slant in the area of shutting things down.

This seems accurate and reflects what I observe and presume.

Moderators aren't spending their time reading through every single thread all the time. They stop in occasionally.

They seem to mostly lock things down after a thread has turned into an unproductive shouting match, and that generally takes at least two people of opposing opinions. The threads aren't shut down because of those opinions but because of the rest of us going, "Hey! If you want to argue like this, take it somewhere else!"

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
9/7/23 4:21 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

It is a dragonfly. The house is called dragonsfly landing, no clue why they want rental houses named, I guess to put them in the listing?

Stampie
9/7/23 4:26 p.m.

Now that we all know where you are can we stop by for a beer?

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
9/7/23 4:40 p.m.

Graphic design is my passion.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
9/7/23 5:56 p.m.
Stampie said:

Now that we all know where you are can we stop by for a beer?

100% all are welcome. Plenty of drink, cigars, and stories to go around. 

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
9/7/23 6:01 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

beat me to it ......heard you were rich$$$$?????

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/7/23 6:58 p.m.
759NRNG said:

In reply to bobzilla :

beat me to it ......heard you were rich$$$$?????

Nah. I have racecar. 

1 2 3 4 5 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Yz2keWZYygoB86AXcROQTZTfa3EDyPFLm6yBqQ1wD34CJftUBv1t5sNP5gurgciN