1 2 3
Duke
Duke PowerDork
11/19/12 11:29 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: I hate money. I wish it never existed. I don't have kids, but I prepare to teach them to hate money too.

Why? Would you rather return to subsistence farming as your main method of self-sustenance?

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/19/12 3:57 p.m.

I have two daughters (eight and five) and I don’t think either could comprehend the relationship between a semester of studying behavior and the resulting grades / rewards.

In our home, you’re as good as your last quiz and the reward for success is increased autonomy. Act like an adult, get treated like an adult….grades suck, you’ll be told when to study, what to study, how long to study, and expect to be tested when you’re done.

So, success results in autonomy which serves as a proxy for the freedom money will afford them later in life.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/19/12 4:52 p.m.
Duke wrote: Why? Would you rather return to subsistence farming as your main method of self-sustenance?

I would.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
11/20/12 8:01 p.m.
RX Reven' wrote: Act like an adult, get treated like an adult….grades suck, you’ll be told when to study, what to study, how long to study, and expect to be tested when you’re done. So, success results in autonomy which serves as a proxy for the freedom money will afford them later in life.

I think that is how my parents rolled, I got honours constantly = left me the hell alone to do what I want. When I was 16, I was volunteering at rally events, driving myself 600km's in my own car with my own gas.

Of course, they hated how many video games I played, but look at me now!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B5WAtToYZ1wbz8Zq1lyp5qhdJO3dRsBARclE5AWdKwFUpvwrFqlcxjtJWQZabW0G