1 2
Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/13/23 11:16 a.m.

Secret Service agents protecting Biden’s granddaughter open fire when 3 people try to break into SUV

And they missed?  

Of course I was not there and I do not know what transpired. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/13/23 11:45 a.m.

IBTL

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
11/13/23 12:01 p.m.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/23 12:01 p.m.

That sounds like someone tried to steal the wrong car, and also that pistol shooting isn't quite like it's portrayed in the movies.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/13/23 12:08 p.m.

Never assume firearms accuracy for most law enforcement.  They do tend to be rather good at emptying their guns as fast as possible though.  This is my favorite example.  Two women in the truck, one of them was hit twice, non life threatening!

There has to be at least 40 holes in this truck, based on the accuracy, I am sure many did not even hit the truck, and who was the sharpshooter with the nice grouping at the bottom of the tailgate?!

LAPD officer shoots two women - SanDiegoRed.com

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/13/23 12:33 p.m.
aircooled said:

Never assume firearms accuracy for most law enforcement.  They do tend to be rather good at emptying their guns as fast as possible though.  This is my favorite example.  Two women in the truck, one of them was hit twice, non life threatening!

One would hope the secret service has somewhat better training than the average county deputy.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/13/23 12:35 p.m.

Such a contrast. Where I live (I'm not kidding), if the police see someone breaking into as car, they are supposed to give him a ticket with a summons to appear in court within 30 days. But since the County DA put seven prosecutors on leave as her first act in office, the chances of prosecution are practically nil.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/13/23 12:43 p.m.

"One of the agents opened fire, but no one was struck by the gunfire, the Secret Service said in a statement. "

People!  You're in Georgetown, ya think the bullets travel 100 feet or so and drop to the ground when they realize you missed?  They go somewhere.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/13/23 12:44 p.m.

Rather misleading threat title. Granted the individual components for a sensational story are all in the picture.

No Grand  daughter on scene or  even nearby. Sounds like a  random car break-in that  coincidentally involved a Secret Service Agent that just happens to be one of the agents assigned to provide security for the grand daughter.. Amen to the poor marksmanship; pretty sure his buddies will make fun of him forever.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/13/23 12:50 p.m.

Yeah, but not as bad as those two guys on JFK's back bumper .....

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/13/23 1:23 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

You do have to wonder if "breaking into a car" justifies use of deadly force, even in Secret Service regs.   Certainly does not with most any other police / law enforcement.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
11/13/23 1:53 p.m.

Trigger happy ?

note to self. , do not hang around SUVs in Washington DC area 

and as said above , where did the bullets land  ?

Click bait story I  guess !

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
11/13/23 2:12 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

note to self. , do not break into SUVs in Washington DC area 

FTFY.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/23 2:24 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

It likely depends on what was in the car.  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
11/13/23 2:31 p.m.
aircooled said:

You do have to wonder if "breaking into a car" justifies use of deadly force, even in Secret Service regs.   Certainly does not with most any other police / law enforcement.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia1.tenor.com%2Fimages%2F0213a0da71118df1e88a0e17e6937c6a%2Ftenor.gif%3Fitemid%3D9328164&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=104a03779eba58526d307491536207c94ff9a9fcb773120c928c1e3581d587ef&ipo=images

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
11/13/23 2:39 p.m.

I wonder how far down the family tree the SS protection is given? Nieces and Nephews? Great grandkids? Aunts and uncles? grandparents? (although if Biden's or Trump's grandparents were alive that would be a medical miracle, wouldn't it!) smiley

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/23 2:45 p.m.
aircooled said:

The article says it was an unmarked Secret Service vehicle they were breaking into. I'm pretty sure that makes it a big no-no and more likely to be met with deadly force. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
11/13/23 3:39 p.m.
Toyman! said:
aircooled said:

The article says it was an unmarked Secret Service vehicle they were breaking into. I'm pretty sure that makes it a big no-no and more likely to be met with deadly force. 

The article is also pretty short on details about exactly when he opened fire.

Perhaps he challenged the suspect, who then pulled out a gun?  Or perhaps the suspect jumped in a getaway car and drove at the officer?  We don't know because it doesn't say.  My impression is that the guys who are given the VIP protection jobs are the "elite" ones with the most training, experience, trustworthiness, demonstrated good judgement, etc, and it seems unlikely that they'd start spraying bullets at someone who's just trying to break into a parked/locked/unoccupied vehicle without more provocation.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/23 3:42 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Toyman! said:
aircooled said:

The article is also pretty short on details about exactly when he opened fire.

Perhaps he challenged the suspect, who then pulled out a gun?  Or perhaps the suspect jumped in a getaway car and drove at the officer?  We don't know because it doesn't say.  My impression is that the guys who are given the VIP protection jobs are the "elite" ones with the most training, experience, trustworthiness, demonstrated good judgement, etc, and it seems unlikely that they'd start spraying bullets at someone who's just trying to break into a parked/locked/unoccupied vehicle without more provocation.

Considering that blacked-out Suburban is probably where they keep the higher-powered weapons they need to do their jobs, if the door opens or the glass breaks, all bets are off. 

And of course the article was short on information. Anymore, all of them are. 

BoulderG
BoulderG Reader
11/13/23 4:22 p.m.
aircooled said:

Never assume firearms accuracy for most law enforcement.  They do tend to be rather good at emptying their guns as fast as possible though. 

Remember the 1999 shooting of Amadou Diallo in New York City? Four police officers fired 41 shots at him in the doorway of his apartment building, hitting him 19 times. This means they missed more than half the time from fewer than ten feet away.

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/02/05/nyregion/officers-in-bronx-fire-41-shots-and-an-unarmed-man-is-killed.html

(Ignoring him being unarmed, etc., and just focusing on the shooting accuracy.)

Quoting from the article, edited for brevity: "Two officers emptied their weapons, firing 16 shots each. One fired five times and one fired four times. Three of the officers have been involved in shootings before, which is unusual in a department where more than 90 percent of all officers never fire their weapons in the line of duty."

GeddesB
GeddesB GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/13/23 4:31 p.m.

"One of the agents opened fire, but no one was struck by the gunfire, the Secret Service said in a statement. "

No one they know of....

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/13/23 4:32 p.m.

In reply to BoulderG :

Yeah, the circumstance of the truck pic above were even more obscene than the lack of accuracy (literally, they were near the police chiefs house during a manhunt for a cop killer, who was neither two women, nor hispanic).  In the same time frame of bad decisions, an LAPD officer (I think), rammed a truck that they thought was the suspect (driver was the wrong race), so clearly about a cars hood away (maybe 6 feet?), and dumped a clip (or at least a number of shots) at the driver (because, why not) and managed to hit the guy.... zero times!!  I mean, it's almost Star Wars Stormtrooper level!

Yes, I would certainly hope SS has a wee bit more trigger discipline than displayed by the LAPD that day!!

stroker
stroker PowerDork
11/13/23 4:51 p.m.

SS vehicle prolly had multiple Pelican cases full of MP-5's and M-4's...  

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/13/23 7:12 p.m.
stroker said:

Dear Santa...

codrus (Forum Supporter)
11/13/23 8:06 p.m.
stroker said:

I don't think the secret service is likely to employ lethal force against someone who might be stealing guns, at least not until he pulls one out of the case and points it at someone.

It's hard to come up with something that's simultaneously such a threat that they would employ lethal force to prevent it from being stolen, yet simultaneously trivial enough to leave unattended in a vehicle in the first place.  I really think there's more to this story.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zwrujFzCVljd3TbBNPmGFXbd8GWzEh4egux3W1ccKbI2JjpMyQTvhXG1YQa8T9ZF