1 2 3
P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/19/09 11:16 p.m.
CrackMonkey wrote:
P71 wrote: What if you were found guilty and a jury decided you owed the record labels *$80,000 per song*. Not a host site or major player, we're talking about a regular person in the US who downloaded 24 whole songs. Like what, two albums?
Did you even read the article you linked? She was sharing more than 1700 songs. This is the second trial in which she was found guilty (the first was deemed a mistrial by the judge because he erred in jury instructions given at the beginning of the case). While I find the $80,000/offense fine completely ludicrous, it seems she is guilty as charged and would have done well to settle for reasonable amount (as the RIAA typically allows, and has stated will allow her to do now, despite the verdict).

What article are you reading? From the first paragraph:

"MINNEAPOLIS – The $1.92 million verdict against a Minnesota woman accused of sharing 24 songs over the Internet could ratchet up the pressure on other defendants to settle with the recording industry — if the big fine can withstand an appeal."

BAMF
BAMF New Reader
6/20/09 11:22 a.m.
Shaun wrote: I am product designer/mechanical engineer: Can you please fix the exporting of most of my profession to Asia? It is unfair.

I'm also a product designer, and I share your pain. The export of creative jobs sucks. Hopefully creative professionals will be creative in adapting to this situation too.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
6/20/09 1:14 p.m.

They've failed and that's about it. I used to record songs from the radio on to my tapes, now I have sattelite radio. So I've paid money to those artists, regardless of how I make my "tapes" now.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
6/20/09 1:39 p.m.

As a caveat I've been in a position to buy movies at pennies on the dollar but I chose to purchase the officially released DVD, and the music I download I have owned/own the cd, I paid for a liscense when I bought that cd so I replaced stolen/lost media with. A digital copy. Not to say I've never downloaded anything I didn't pay for.

Shaun
Shaun New Reader
6/20/09 2:26 p.m.
BAMF wrote:
Shaun wrote: I am product designer/mechanical engineer: Can you please fix the exporting of most of my profession to Asia? It is unfair.
I'm also a product designer, and I share your pain. The export of creative jobs sucks. Hopefully creative professionals will be creative in adapting to this situation too.

I pray for a long term tanked dollar to stop the manufacturing/engineering exodus. I have also been furiously prototyping toys to pitch to toy makers who, what am i going to do about it ?, pretty much make everything in Asia.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zfavgG1q6EbpzzX7gjIdewfaRzq62uzzqYEGUDUtfo9T5tstnhGyEWDrNCTzLiAY