1 2 3
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/7/20 11:13 a.m.

Ok. I love how y'all have been spreading the Korean car love lately but I need you to stop it. Seriously. If I don't have that then what am I here? 

maybe I'm just slipping in my duties... maybe I'm not as hard core as I thought I was. Cmon guys help me here!

read with sarcasm as required. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
7/7/20 11:22 a.m.

I've still never owned a Korean car, so your work isn't done yet. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/7/20 11:23 a.m.

I bought a brand new Korean car, partially influenced by you Bob.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
7/7/20 11:27 a.m.

Which new or nearly new Korean car would be the best to replace my Suzuki SX4 hatch then?  Needs a manual trans, would like at least 30mpg in city and a 0-60 time of, uh, 8 seconds flat?  So better on fuel and quicker than the car I have.  And obviously 5 doors like I have now.

Not saying I would consider buying one, just asking.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
7/7/20 11:29 a.m.

I will let you relax after I have a Stinger.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork

The 30 city is difficult. Closest will be the elantra gt(n-line) or 2018 forte5sx

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork

I once paid a Korean taxi driver in a Korean car $100 to get me to Seoul before the bars closed.  That's the closest I've been to a fast Korean car.  BTW ... loved seeing you and your car at the Challenge last year.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
7/7/20 11:32 a.m.

I drove a Genesis 2.0T R-Spec and it sucked, change my mind.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
7/7/20 11:33 a.m.

I still haven't bought one, although I was looking at going to St. Louis and that Kia Stinger on Turo was looking mighty tempting.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/7/20 11:33 a.m.

I love the Stinger, but I don't love that "type" of car enough to actually buy one. 

At least I don't think. If I were to buy a 4-door sedan, it's likely going to be a Tesla 3. But I really those are two cars that are probably never cross-shopped against each other.

And really likely if I were to buy a 4-door vehicle, it would be a Tacoma. Pull a small travel trailer or race, fit the dogs and equipment for camping trips, that kind of thing.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/7/20 11:38 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I drove a Genesis 2.0T R-Spec and it sucked, change my mind.

First gen stock? Yep. 210hp and staggered tires sucked. Exhaust, square tire setup it got a lot more fun. At least the 2013 got a 65hp bump. Instill think the 3.8 touring was the best GT car

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/7/20 11:39 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

I once paid a Korean taxi driver in a Korean car $100 to get me to Seoul before the bars closed.  That's the closest I've been to a fast Korean car.  BTW ... loved seeing you and your car at the Challenge last year.

I love my car. It's a steaming pile of poo but instill love it

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/7/20 11:42 a.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

What car of any manufacture would meet that requirement?

Even the Honda Civic Sport with the MT is only 29 city.  Mazda 3 and the Korean cars are down in the 24-25 City.  

I will say my overall average is 31 MPG with my Elanta GT Sport.  I don't do pure 0-40 mph stop and go city so I don't know what MPG would be in that useage, but my current comute is 7 miles 55 mph, 8 miles 0-40 mph streets and I typically get 29-30 MPG.  

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/7/20 11:48 a.m.

Also I appologize for beating the Korean Car Drum.  If you objectively shop for newer cars and truly ignore badges it's really hard to not wind up with something Korean today.  They will nearly always be cheaper then a comparable equipped other manufactures.  Add in that in the past 10ish years their reliability is basically equal to the manufactures regarded as "reliable" and you have to really be bought into some intangible offered by the other companies to not buy one.    Sure there are car types they don't sell (Tacoma/Ridgeline type trucks, AWD cars and others) but for your more typical Sedan's, SUV's, 5 Door Hatchbacks they really are the best option.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/7/20 11:56 a.m.

Doug Demuro bought a Stinger.  According to my Top Gear "cool wall" meter, that makes it so uncool I can never buy one.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/7/20 11:59 a.m.
nocones said:

Even the Honda Civic Sport with the MT is only 29 city.  Mazda 3 and the Korean cars are down in the 24-25 City.  

I will say my overall average is 31 MPG with my Elanta GT Sport.  I don't do pure 0-40 mph stop and go city so I don't know what MPG would be in that useage, but my current comute is 7 miles 55 mph, 8 miles 0-40 mph streets and I typically get 29-30 MPG.  

I think you'd have to be in a non-turbo engine version. We can get the wife's auto Koup around 28 with pure city driving (2.0 GDI Nu) and hte new sedan elantra and Forte are 30 city I believe now with thier new MPI strange cycle engines and CVT

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/7/20 12:00 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) said:

Doug Demuro bought a Stinger.  According to my Top Gear "cool wall" meter, that makes it so uncool I can never buy one.

So I finally saw a G70 on the road this last week (2.0T car, no idea if it was a manual LSD or not) and I will say they may have won me over. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/7/20 12:50 p.m.
bobzilla said:
nocones said:

I think you'd have to be in a non-turbo engine version. We can get the wife's auto Koup around 28 with pure city driving (2.0 GDI Nu) and hte new sedan elantra and Forte are 30 city I believe now with thier new MPI strange cycle engines and CVT

what about an RD Accent Hatch with a 50shot?

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
7/7/20 1:33 p.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:

I bought a brand new Korean car, partially influenced by you Bob.

I bought one despite Bob's recommendation...

Seriously, I was driving Hyundai's long before it was cool cheeky

16 Forte SX 6spd manual I can get 5.6 L/100 km commuting, that's 42 miles/US gallon.

Even driving it with a heavy foot I'm getting 6.4/37

30 MP(US)G is 7.8 an that's easily doable

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
7/7/20 1:40 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

Which new or nearly new Korean car would be the best to replace my Suzuki SX4 hatch then?  Needs a manual trans, would like at least 30mpg in city and a 0-60 time of, uh, 8 seconds flat?  So better on fuel and quicker than the car I have.  And obviously 5 doors like I have now.

Not saying I would consider buying one, just asking.

Kia Forte5 turbo...maybe not quite 30mph in the city...but will 0-60 in under 8 seconds (pretty sure).  The Hyundai Veloster Turbo also has 5 doors (but you have to count the hatch as one door).  A dealer had a leftover Forte5 but they still wanted essentially sticker price even though it had spent ~2 years on their lot.  I even called and spoke to a salesperson but they weren't willing to negotiate...I didn't even bother with a test drive.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
7/7/20 1:42 p.m.

If you want me to stop give me a hyundai pony and a veloster n to stick under it

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
7/7/20 2:07 p.m.

Feel the love

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/7/20 2:56 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

i've worked on a lot of korean cars and will never own one.  The engineering is still too cargo-cult, like old Japanese stuff, or current Chinese. Lots of what without the why.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/7/20 2:56 p.m.
Peabody said:

I believe that makes us OG Hyundaio Humpers. But which one of us has a Rhys Millen poster signed "Keep Humping those Hyundais"? 

Pete. (l33t FS) said:

mazdeuce - Seth said:

i've worked on a lot of korean cars and will never own one.

Thats the SAME response I have about Fords and Mopars. 

Daylan C (Forum Supporter)
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/7/20 3:13 p.m.
bobzilla said:
Peabody said:

I believe that makes us OG Hyundaio Humpers. But which one of us has a Rhys Millen poster signed "Keep Humping those Hyundais"?

And you didn't show me this when I was at your house? I feel offended. I mean I definitely would have probably made fun of you for it, but still. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dLCXmqTfU1Lh95OBMiQtOCx4PVHDWM8x7fEyvF0muGw3tyB2Wuqwoeous9NimSc3