EvanR
EvanR Dork
6/30/15 11:42 p.m.

It gets to 115F these days, and probably 130 in the garage. Twice a day, coming and going, the 1-gallon plastic gas can looks like it's about to burst and I have to bleed off the fumes. Storing the gas can anywhere besides the garage is not feasible.

Any thoughts or advice?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
7/1/15 1:25 a.m.

Leave the vent open? If its one of the newer bullE36 M3 evap cans that spill more fuel than they save from evaporation, you can always retrofit it with the good parts.

http://ezpourspout.com/

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
7/1/15 5:37 a.m.

You didn't have to bleed off pressure, you chose to. Those cans are actually pretty strong. I have yet to ever hear of one rupturing because it was in a hot shed/garage.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/1/15 5:45 a.m.

Right.

If you leave it alone, it will relax to its original state.

If it bothers you, buy a better (steel) can.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
7/1/15 7:22 a.m.

I crack the cap open so it can vent

rotard
rotard Dork
7/1/15 8:32 a.m.

Don't worry about it; the container can handle it. The autoignition temp for gas is around 250C, so it won't blow up from just heat. The flash point is around -40C, so it's pretty easy to have enough fumes in the air to ignite due to a spark. Having gas fumes build up in your garage is probably more dangerous, especially if your hot water heater is in there.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/1/15 8:38 a.m.

I'd move the can if at all possible. One of my customers stored gas in his garage, it got stinking hot and the can vented. So far so good, but gas vapor is heavier than air and so he had a layer of fuel fumes on the floor. He started his lawnmower inside, this ignited the fumes and he wound up with some terrible second degree burns about halfway up his shins.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/1/15 9:55 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: I'd move the can if at all possible. One of my customers stored gas in his garage, it got stinking hot and the can vented. So far so good, but gas vapor is heavier than air and so he had a layer of fuel fumes on the floor. He started his lawnmower inside, this ignited the fumes and he wound up with some terrible second degree burns about halfway up his shins.

You and your science.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
7/1/15 10:00 a.m.

I definitely would not vent it inside unless you want your garage to fill up with gas vapors.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
7/1/15 10:33 a.m.

EvanR
EvanR Dork
7/1/15 12:31 p.m.
rotard wrote: Don't worry about it; the container can handle it.

That's good to hear, thanks.

But in thinking about it, the best solution is to just empty the darn can! The only reason I have the can is to fill the bike. (It has a 1-gallon tank, and is a total pain to fill at a gas pump.)

The bike isn't being ridden now, because 115F! I think I'll just dump what's left in the can into my car, and re-fill it when Fall comes and it's only 100F! :)

Sometimes the simplest solutions elude me!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xYCWajdgtrSmd2Jx9xe0LRyH6OG3Hg2g35VcDh6WB3XO8oMZvL08FaXxt4q1tDiU