92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
6/20/16 3:28 p.m.

A relative has a Samsung tablet and they want to know if they would be able to hook up the tablet to the dvd player and stream Netflix on their non smart tv. Is this possible somehow?

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
6/20/16 3:30 p.m.

I did with my Irulu tablet I purchased a special HDMI cable that had the correct bung for the tablet.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/16 3:30 p.m.

If the tablet has some kind of video output that matches an available input on the TV or DVD player, it can be done. A lot of phones have a 3.5mm RCA A/V connector or micro-HDMI (which can be plugged into HDMI inputs).

scardeal
scardeal Dork
6/20/16 3:35 p.m.

Alternate thought: something like Chromecast or some other stick computer.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
6/20/16 3:38 p.m.

Exactly. Wireless solutions include Chromecast at $35, Amazon Fire Stick at $40, Roku Streaming Stick at $50, AppleTV at $69.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/20/16 3:42 p.m.

There are a lot of different connectors on Samsung devices. Some use a reversed PDMI, others use MHL on a non-standard mini-USB connector. You might also find one of a few variants of HDMI. It would help to know which tablet we're talking about.

The easiest choice might just be to use a TV streaming device. Look at Roku streaming stick, Amazon Fire TV stick, or Apple TV. These give you a nice remote, are designed to work with a TV, and cost very little. My Fire TV stick was purchased on sale for $20, which compares pretty well with the cost of the cables for a tablet.

trucke
trucke Dork
6/20/16 3:44 p.m.

My Apple TV is hooked up to my analog TV. Had to get some kind of box to convert the HDMI to RCA.

Like mentioned above. Get one of the 'sticks'.

Apple TV is not recommended, but will do the job for more money than the others.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
6/20/16 4:08 p.m.

We picked up a Samsung blu-ray player with the apps installed for the bedroom. IIRC, it was $40 for the thing. Hard to beat that for simplicity

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
6/20/16 4:48 p.m.

I vote the amazon stick. There are two in our house. The newer model has voice search and the amazon ECHO "Alexa" services for voice searches. Only difference is you have to hold the voice control button down for the commands.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
6/20/16 5:12 p.m.

My recommendation is something self contained vs something that "casts" from your tablet/phone.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
6/20/16 6:26 p.m.

Amazon stick gets my vote as well. You may need a short HDMI cable to make sure the stick isn't pressed up against the wall if you've got a wall mount going. It probably isn't a problem for most people but I ran into that a couple years ago with a wall mounted TV. USB power from the TV itself is also nice instead of having to run cords around.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
6/20/16 6:29 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: We picked up a Samsung blu-ray player with the apps installed for the bedroom. IIRC, it was $40 for the thing. Hard to beat that for simplicity

So...what apps did you need for the bedroom?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/16 7:25 p.m.
trucke wrote: My Apple TV is hooked up to my analog TV. Had to get some kind of box to convert the HDMI to RCA. Like mentioned above. Get one of the 'sticks'. Apple TV is not recommended, but will do the job for more money than the others.

+1, I'd recommend Chromecast.

Nick (picaso) Comstock
Nick (picaso) Comstock UltimaDork
6/20/16 7:29 p.m.

I got the wife a Roku stick for the bedroom. I have one of the cheap blueray player/streaming things Bobzilla has in the living room except mine is a Sony. The Roku stick works flawlessly, the Sony is a hassle with freezing, especially with Netflix. I will be getting a Roku for the living room soon.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/20/16 7:34 p.m.

We do chromecast. Cheaper to buy a dumbtv and a chromecast.

noodle
noodle GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/20/16 8:24 p.m.

Love the Roku, Big fan of Goggle's Chromecast too

asoduk
asoduk HalfDork
6/20/16 8:29 p.m.

I have a FireTV stick and a Roku and a couple Chromecasts. I personally like the Roku the most as it doesn't seem to lock me out of anything. The FireTV won't let you use google products (that i've found) and the fireTV app won't let you cast to a chromecast.

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
6/20/16 9:58 p.m.

If you have a Wii, Xbox or PSwhatever most of them can do it to. I use my kids old Wii to watch Netflix.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
6/21/16 6:42 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: We picked up a Samsung blu-ray player with the apps installed for the bedroom. IIRC, it was $40 for the thing. Hard to beat that for simplicity

Which bedroom apps do you prefer?

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
6/21/16 8:02 a.m.

Before my SmartTV I used one of the original Roku boxes. A new one is probably the same price for any cable/adapter you would need to buy.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
6/21/16 12:37 p.m.
Basil Exposition wrote:

It's wall to wall ginger pron....

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
6/21/16 1:33 p.m.
WOW Really Paul? wrote:
Basil Exposition wrote:
It's wall to wall ginger pron....

Screw all y'all.

failboat
failboat UberDork
6/21/16 2:03 p.m.

we just got our first roku box. we like it a lot.

I dont know I would go that route if I were ONLY doing netflix though.

I guess it does offer a lot of other free streaming options, and some nice paid ones as well. We got it to cut the cord have a much cheaper monthly TV bill.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zoRTq3ZgNq66JzfaMyJr8Ce2SbYwF1m4NCrFPYu7JGoxpesjT5p41qDPubY5NiFe