1 2 3 4
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
7/14/17 8:16 a.m.

If you have some time to waste and want to read some excellent stories of automotive shenanigans, boy do I have the reddit posts for you:
The first of many Tales From Dishonest Used Car Dealership

There are a whole bunch, which can be found here. I strongly recommend reading them in chronological order for the best effect.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
7/14/17 8:46 a.m.

STOP! Don't click on the links! Your productivity will be done for the day! At least wait til your boss is gone for the day.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/14/17 8:48 a.m.

...and whatever you do, don't go to r/justrolledintotheshop.

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
7/14/17 8:49 a.m.

Given the interaction I've had with a used car dealer in the last 36 hours, I had to read a couple of these. They are quite entertaining, at least for anyone not directly involved.

EDIT: Just came across my favorite line thus far: "I noticed CR was surprisingly quiet, until he butted into the yelling and relayed a cunning plan. It hinged on the absolute stupidity of whoever was taking the car. This ordinarily might have been a problem, but being that it was probably a salesperson who took it, betting on idiocy meant the trap was foolproof."

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/14/17 9:16 a.m.

My Dad sold cars for almost 30 years. Man, does he have some stories. Too much to post and not enough time.

A couple quick ones though: He worked at a sketchy buy-here, pay-here in South Florida for a few months. AT LEAST once a week, the buyer would say "How much is the payment wit da late fee?"

He also worked at a Dodge dealership in WV in the early 70's. Sold a new Dodge Dart to a little old lady...who was promised the car would get AMAZING gas mileage.

She came in a few weeks after the purchase complaining about fuel economy.

He took her to a local gas station where the pumps were on a slight hill, and parked the car on the side of the pump that would allow him to put the most fuel in.

I'm making up numbers here, but they took something like a 40 mile ride on mostly straight, gently sloped roads. Whenever there was a hill, he'd get her talking about her grandkids, the weather, etc, and would subtly get on the gas downhill and coast uphill, being sure to make mostly right-hand turns, as to be stopped as little as possible.

When they got back to the gas station, he parked on the OPPOSITE side of the pump, and told her to put as much gas in the tank as she could.

She got something like 45mpg.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/14/17 9:35 a.m.

Well, that link is seriously cutting into my productivity today.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/14/17 11:05 a.m.
APEowner wrote: Well, that link is seriously cutting into my productivity today.

Amen to that.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/14/17 11:30 a.m.

Puts me in mind of Acts Of Gord, and it's a similar time suck.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
7/14/17 12:53 p.m.

These stories are more then accurate of what i saw from my time working at a Toyota dealership washing cars in high school.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
7/14/17 12:55 p.m.

I don't have some time to waste, but I'm oddly drawn in anyway...

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/14/17 1:11 p.m.

Welp, there goes what little productivity I had queued up for today.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
7/14/17 1:12 p.m.

Good thing it's Friday because I'm enjoying these.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/14/17 1:35 p.m.

I read every one. Why didn't he write more?

Kylini
Kylini Dork
7/14/17 1:44 p.m.

I read them all when they came out. I love reading them again.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
7/14/17 2:20 p.m.
APEowner wrote: Well, that link is seriously cutting into my productivity today.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
7/14/17 2:21 p.m.

In the comments

"..there's no one to report my boss to if he throws a pipe wrench at my head, which did happen (it missed, went through a customers windshield)"

"In his defense, I probably deserved it"

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/14/17 2:47 p.m.
slefain wrote:

Sadly, your warning was posted after I was sucked in. Thank you though.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/14/17 3:03 p.m.

This is The Daily WTF for car guys. Excellent.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
7/14/17 5:12 p.m.

Yep. Read them all. Wish there were more.

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
7/14/17 7:53 p.m.

For a second I thought this might be one of my co-workers

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
7/14/17 8:38 p.m.

Made it through about six of them. Interesting how every organization has someone (ITG) who does nothing yet stays employed because they know where the bodies are buried. The tale of his demise was my favorite.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/15/17 12:37 a.m.

I'm through about three of them. These are AWESOME!

failboat
failboat UberDork
7/15/17 1:04 a.m.

Literally burned about 6 hours of my day reading these.

tjbell
tjbell Reader
7/15/17 9:06 a.m.

I'm so sad I reached the end of his stories

Edit: found there is a second page

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
7/15/17 9:28 a.m.

I just can't read that Reddit stuff. The format looks like it's from the early days of the internet

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Pb6xM0vLOd7wf1PWmRTsuBiT3HtGBOAMTE6a83VUtMUYUOMl8xNVmZPpoZZF6bTP