Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/4/23 6:44 p.m.

Deer popped out of the ditch and I was thankful to have only tagged him with the right front of the car after he had lept into the air, filling the windshield just moments before.  It sounded like a pretty good hit, but he kept going.

Broken headlight, dented hood and some popped or broken clips in the front bumper cover at minimum.  

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/4/23 6:53 p.m.

A guy I work with hit a deer with his new Integra.  He has had the car about a week and a half and hasn't made the first payment yet.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
11/4/23 8:09 p.m.

I hear it's better to hunt them with a rifle.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
11/4/23 8:25 p.m.

Forest rats are stupid.

I've found they're no match for a K2500 Suburban.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
11/4/23 8:27 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

I hear it's better to hunt them with a rifle.

Nah. If you slowed that bullet down to about 50mph and put headlights on it, you'd get them every time.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
11/5/23 6:15 a.m.

Hopefully they can get it sorted, I hit one full on dead center last May in my truck. He was standing in the road when I popped over a hill, lots of damage.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
11/5/23 6:36 a.m.

'Tis the season. I handle dozens of deer claims every week.

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/5/23 1:13 p.m.
Noddaz said:

A guy I work with hit a deer with his new Integra.  He has had the car about a week and a half and hasn't made the first payment yet.

I once wrote an estimate on a brand new Suburban that hit a deer on its inaugural drive from the dealership. Less than 10 minutes after last signature. 

Had to be towed to our yard and the. It sat for 6 mo ths due to backorder parts. That was a tough situation for that family.

Karacticus
11/5/23 2:16 p.m.

My inconvenience is at least reduced a little in that it was going to be going to be stored for the winter by the end of November at the latest. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
11/5/23 3:16 p.m.

One Friday afternoon at work we got called into a conference room and was told we lost our coworker that morning.  We all cried. 

I'll never forget that day.  RIP Chris.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/5/23 10:17 p.m.

I see several each day committing.  One night late after work I saw 17 before I saw another car.  That means there were at least 17 more by the road I probably didn't see too.  I've seen them do really strange things out there too.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/6/23 8:31 a.m.

Taken from the Book of Faces: "Funny story..... I list my 2007 Chevy Silverado on FB marketplace and a guy calls from north Jersey and wants the truck 1000% as long as the body is as nice as it looks in the pictures. I assure him that it's mint and he says he's driving down with the cash. Here's a video of him pulling up in the white tahoe out front..." 

golfduke
golfduke Dork
11/6/23 8:40 a.m.
NickD said:

Taken from the Book of Faces: "Funny story..... I list my 2007 Chevy Silverado on FB marketplace and a guy calls from north Jersey and wants the truck 1000% as long as the body is as nice as it looks in the pictures. I assure him that it's mint and he says he's driving down with the cash. Here's a video of him pulling up in the white tahoe out front..." 

HOLY CARP! 

That deer had ups!  Did the guy buy the truck? haha.  That's one of those situations where you just have to throw your hands in the air and say 'welppp, crap'. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/6/23 9:16 a.m.
golfduke said:
NickD said:

HOLY CARP! 

That deer had ups!  Did the guy buy the truck? haha.  That's one of those situations where you just have to throw your hands in the air and say 'welppp, crap'. 

Apparently he gave the guy $1000 off due to the fresh damage. But if that truck had been parked right next to the Vibe, the deer probably would have cleared the car and the truck unscathed.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/6/23 9:22 a.m.
NickD said:
golfduke said:
NickD said:

HOLY CARP! 

Apparently he gave the guy $1000 off due to the fresh damage. But if that truck had been parked right next to the Vibe, the deer probably would have cleared the car and the truck unscathed.

Look  like your dog took off after that deer.  A futile gesture I'll bet.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/6/23 9:46 a.m.

I hit a deer about 10 years ago in my E46.  I spiked the brakes and almost made it, but she flipped up over the hood and hit the windshield squarely in front of my face before bouncing up over the roof.  Busted the tabs on one of the kidney grilles, wrinkled the corner of the hood slightly, and left a hoof print in the roof.  I cashed the insurance check, got the windshield replaced, and bought an aftermarket replacement grille insert once it would no longer stay in place.  I drove the car another 4-5 years.

I was going about 50 mph when I braked about 1/2 second before impact.  The windshield was caved in but held in place - 10 more mph and it might have been very bad.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/6/23 11:41 a.m.

Dang, at least it wasn't too bad. I just saw a video of a moose trying to cross the road, slipping and falling in front of a car, looked like the car was totaled and the moose may have not made it. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/23 12:27 p.m.

I hit one in 2003 with a brand-new E350. I hit it at noon on a 4 lane highway. It came out of the woods at a dead run and I caught it broadside. I was running about 65 at the time and had zero time to react. I'm not even sure I touched the brakes. 

The van may have had 10k miles on it at the time. It broke the plastic hood, and took out everything from the driver's side headlight to the passenger fender, including the fender because the deer's head wrapped the corner and caved it in. Also destroyed were the grill, radiator, condenser, fan, trans cooler, PS cooler, upper radiator support, headlight assembly including turn signal, and bumper. $11k in damage to a $25k van. 

My eldest has managed to hit 5 of them over the years. 

alphahotel
alphahotel GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/6/23 7:13 p.m.

Something I didn't know until I inadvertently went deer hunting with my car a few years ago is that hitting a deer is covered by comprehensive insurance, not collision.  I wasn't even going to call my insurance company because I did not have collision on the car, but a coworker told me that it was covered by comprehensive.

Karacticus
11/6/23 7:43 p.m.

In reply to alphahotel :

Yep-- hit the deer, comprehensive.  Run off the road trying to dodge the deer, collision.

Karacticus
11/8/23 5:41 p.m.

So, the waiting room at the body shop had lots of magazines with deer on the covers. 

At least they didn't have a picture of one on the wall labeled "Employee of the Month"

Shop is already scheduling out in January, so we'll into salt season here.   As a result, repair will probably be schedule mid-March or so. 

I wonder how my insurance company feels about going to comprehensive only for the winter while there's an open claim?

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/8/23 7:02 p.m.

There is a pretty graphic video of a boxter with a dash cam getting passed by a 911 on a turn and then the 911 smokes a deer at 100+ I bet. The gore that drops on the boxter...wow.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/8/23 7:13 p.m.
Karacticus said:

In reply to alphahotel :

Yep-- hit the deer, comprehensive.  Run off the road trying to dodge the deer, collision.

Technically the deer hits you.

Karacticus
11/8/23 8:02 p.m.

Also, on reviewing the estimate, cost for one headlight assembly is just shy of $1750!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/9/23 9:35 a.m.
Karacticus said:

Also, on reviewing the estimate, cost for one headlight assembly is just shy of $1750!

This is why when I had my 135i, I turned off the steering responsive headlights. At the time a new headlight was listed at $2300.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SJUQmDk0k4BRxokdwCYjgDOyxKUfXeYJQBP4bbIpu99T9JIrsbRvHLoAWrXYbHGd