1 2
novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
10/24/13 8:30 p.m.

with Mork and Buffy for "comic" relief... in the show, they work at (or own??) an ad agency and spend about 25% of the time casually mentioning every big brand name that exists in the US, with the rest of the time spent pretending Robin Williams is still funny... they put the word "crazy" in the name of the show because Robin Williams...

that is all... just thought i'd share...

RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
10/24/13 8:46 p.m.

Was your account hacked by a canoe, perchance?

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
10/24/13 8:51 p.m.

No, he's just ranting about Robin Williams' new show. I think it's called "Crazy People" or something.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
10/24/13 8:55 p.m.
RexSeven wrote: Was your account hacked by a canoe, perchance?

no, but the producers at CBS were hacked by a canoe.

RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
10/24/13 8:59 p.m.

Oh, OK. Never heard of this show.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
10/24/13 9:11 p.m.

I'd argue that Robin Williams is actually still funny, if you listen to his standup. That show is berking horrible though.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/24/13 9:13 p.m.

Aren't pretty much all TV shows anymore just product placement?

I was thinking about this today, actually. Well, tangentially. I was thinking about Dukes of Hazzard. The Duke Boys had a Dodge, the police cars were Dodges (Plymouths?), Uncle Jesse had a Ford, Daisy had a Jeep (sometimes a Mopar that I've forgotten - a Sebring maybe?), Boss Hogg had a Caddy... if you count Jeep as AMC, then all four of the big makes were represented. Today, everybody would be driving some species of ChryCo, OR GM, OR Ford.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
10/24/13 9:32 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Aren't pretty much all TV shows anymore just product placement? I was thinking about this today, actually. Well, tangentially. I was thinking about Dukes of Hazzard. The Duke Boys had a Dodge, the police cars were Dodges (Plymouths?), Uncle Jesse had a Ford, Daisy had a Jeep (sometimes a Mopar that I've forgotten - a Sebring maybe?), Boss Hogg had a Caddy... if you count Jeep as AMC, then all four of the big makes were represented. Today, everybody would be driving some species of ChryCo, OR GM, OR Ford.

all of the bad guys drove the same 4 door Malibu...

the one thing about this new show is that it's almost totally DVR proof... people that skip the regularly scheduled commercials will get to watch Mork and Buffy talk about and then make a commercial for a new Mercedes...

the show is almost immune to cancellation... of course, they also said that about the Geico cavemen show...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/24/13 9:56 p.m.

you are making me glad I do not have cable TV anymore

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/24/13 10:09 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: the Geico cavemen show...

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
10/24/13 10:09 p.m.

"a tv show that is almost total product placement..."

I saw this thread title and thought you were referring to every kids cartoon from the 80's.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/24/13 10:19 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: you are making me glad I do not have cable TV anymore

Actually, I'm glad I do, so that I have other options besides network dreck like this show.

drsmooth
drsmooth Reader
10/24/13 11:31 p.m.

It already happened along time ago....

But since it was BMW and was entertaining it is OK!!

THE HIRE

Here is one to get you started!! There are 8 moreHere is one to get you started!! There are 8 more

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
10/25/13 4:30 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: you are making me glad I do not have cable TV anymore

it's on CBS.. you can watch it if you have an antenna..

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
10/25/13 5:19 a.m.

You're making me glad I pawned my TV for race car parts.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
10/25/13 5:35 a.m.

I've always been a big Robin Williams fan and I've watched a couple episodes. There have been some of RWs bits that I found amusing but in general it's pretty lame. And Buffy needs to eat a couple cheeseburgers, she looks a little....haggard.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
10/25/13 6:08 a.m.

you still watch broadcast TV?

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
10/25/13 7:26 a.m.
JoeyM wrote: you still watch broadcast TV?

yeah, and i drive American cars, too..

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/25/13 7:36 a.m.
Knurled wrote: Aren't pretty much all TV shows anymore just product placement? I was thinking about this today, actually. Well, tangentially. I was thinking about Dukes of Hazzard. The Duke Boys had a Dodge, the police cars were Dodges (Plymouths?), Uncle Jesse had a Ford, Daisy had a Jeep (sometimes a Mopar that I've forgotten - a Sebring maybe?), Boss Hogg had a Caddy... if you count Jeep as AMC, then all four of the big makes were represented. Today, everybody would be driving some species of ChryCo, OR GM, OR Ford.

since most of the cars were 8-10 years old, I don't think it was placement.

If you watch the A-team, you'll see GMC noted in the credits as supplying the van though. It was current model year.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
10/25/13 7:53 a.m.

I figured this thread would be about

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/25/13 8:02 a.m.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/25/13 8:09 a.m.

On many shows, Fringe for example, they would get into their new Ford, the camera would pause on the Blue Oval for 3 seconds, then the star would use the voice-command and nav screen and the passenger would comment on how easy it was to use. It is so blatant, it's almost funny. I wish they would just break the 4th wall and look at the camera for a second and smile.

What I don't understand is why we still have to waste time skipping over commercials? Just get rid of them and go with 100% product placement. Sure, it might be tough to slip a Pepsi into Game of Thrones, but get creative!

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/25/13 9:26 a.m.

I like how in the movies everyone drinks Heineken and all the bottles always sit with the label pointing exactly at the camera. Pure coincidence, I'm sure.

The minivan scene in Mr and Mrs Smith was funny, though. Something about that left side door being really handy.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
10/25/13 9:31 a.m.
JoeyM wrote: you still watch broadcast TV?

That and Netflix, although it's mostly Netflix. Turned off the cable almost 3 years ago. saves me $100/month.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
10/25/13 9:36 a.m.

Saw a few minutes of it - decided it was unwatchable

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qK5c4smq8D54jANA5s86VGKCIUItBuCRftATOKFYbS3FXsfJtNlcw6erxGPI3JQF