cghstang
cghstang New Reader
7/20/09 11:11 a.m.

I'm in Wixom, Michigan for a couple of days for some training for work. Any suggestions for interesting things to do or see in the evenings in the area? I'm not really into sports or drinking which might cut down on the usual suggestions.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
7/20/09 11:17 a.m.

I used to live just south of there. Roughly 10 minutes east is Novi...I believe that the Motorsports Hall of Fame is there, as well as a Mall and lots of restaurants.

Word of advice, unless you need a colon cleansing, avoid "Bate's Burgers".

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
7/20/09 11:24 a.m.

Motorsports Hall of Fame is worth a quick trip.

You're close enough to Detroit to hit some of the big sights there, too. The Henry Ford Museum is very cool but not quite cheap, but it's right across from some of Ford's proving grounds. If you're in a big vehicle, you can peek over the fence in some places. The Chrysler museum is a little further away, but also a neat stop.

griffin729
griffin729 New Reader
7/20/09 11:24 a.m.

You could drive a bit west to Brighton and drive through the, I kid you not, seven connected round-abouts.

alstevens
alstevens New Reader
7/20/09 11:35 a.m.

There is racing at Waterford Hills this weekend. I will put you my pit crew if you would like. Will cost you nothing. Sat from 10 till 5 and Sun -same times. Come and go as you please. The track is about 30 min from Wixom. Let me know if you are interested, Al

The Brown Stig
The Brown Stig GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/20/09 11:37 a.m.

In Wixom the sights are average, it's the smell that keeps you away.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/20/09 11:44 a.m.

A bit of a drive, but 3 kart tracks in the area.

Kart2Kart in Sterling Heights: http://www.kart2kart.com/

Extreme indoor Karting in Clio, MI: www.eikr.net

Race Rochster, Rochester Hills, MI: http://www.racerochester.com/

Kramer
Kramer Reader
7/20/09 12:36 p.m.

I live in Novi (since 2005), but I still haven't been to the Motorsports Hall of Fame. I guess I should go. It's open from Tuesday thru Sunday, from 10 to 5, and it's only $5. I'm off work today (when it's closed), and I'll be working nearly every day for the next few weeks...

Take the time to visit the Henry Ford Museum, not too far away. There's another car museum in front of that, but I forget what it is (or what's it's like). You may not have the time needed to really enjoy the Henry Ford, so that may warrant another trip. It's not too far from Squareborn.

For other car museums, Michigan really sucks. There's a great museum in Flint (which is worse than a proctologist visit), but that's probably too far from Wixom. I've heard Chrysler has a decent museum in Auburn Hills, but I'm not into older Chryslers. GM's Heritage Collection may be the neatest car collection in the world (well, maybe not any longer), but it's closed to the public. GM does have a few neat cars at the RenCen in downtown Detroit, but not many. If you're in the D, go there. If not, don't bother.

If you're looking for a good restaurant, visit Zingerman's in Ann Arbor (whore).

Kramer
Kramer Reader
7/20/09 12:39 p.m.

Oh, you're pretty close to the GM proving grounds. Take 96 west to the Milford exit. Drive north to Milford, then west to the proving grounds. You can't enter, but you can drive around the outside. You'll get a peek in a few places. If you're lucky, you'll see a car--probably some mule with a 2005 Malibu body--doing exciting testing, such as wheel studs. They drive around in circles, then measure the studs for stretch and stuff.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/20/09 12:49 p.m.
griffin729 wrote: You could drive a bit west to Brighton and drive through the, I kid you not, seven connected round-abouts.

Methinks you exaggerate a bit. There are 3 (Lee Rd. exit from US-23), which is bad enough, but not 7, unless you are counting the ones in the adjacent mall parking lot, but I'd hardly call those "connected".and there are only 2 of them anyhow.

Things to see in Wixom? Not much other than the old Ford plant, now closed. But the other suggestions folks have offered are pretty good. The Henry Ford is probably the best "tourist" thing in the Detroit area. There are also some very nice parks in the area if you are into hiking, mountain biking, or boating.

griffin729
griffin729 New Reader
7/20/09 12:59 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler:

I was counting the mall parking lot, and ok a bit of an exaggeration. Seriously though, there's not much in Wixom, but all the other suggestions are good. IIRC the other museum next to the Henry Ford is the Automotive Hall of Fame, or were you refering to Greenfield Village. The only of the karting tracks listed that I've been to is Kart2Kart. Company I worked for had our Christmas party there one year. That was a blast.

cghstang
cghstang New Reader
7/20/09 2:21 p.m.

In reply to alstevens:

Thanks for the offer but I'm leaving Wednesday evening.

The Henry Ford Museum sounds good, but I don't think I'd have enough time to make it worth my while since it closes at 5.

The kart tracks are the most intriguing option so far. Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/20/09 7:37 p.m.

allow some extra time in romulus. go to the playhouse, on middlebelt road just east of DTW metro airport. it's a strip club, in case you hadn't guessed from the name or location.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
7/20/09 8:13 p.m.

don't forget to learn about those tricky Michigan left turns...

gjz30075
gjz30075 New Reader
7/21/09 4:21 p.m.

Speaking of Milford, there's a great cruise in every Sunday from about 1pm to 6 at Baker's of Milford. It's about 5 miles north of I-96 on Milford Rd.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
trFCU1CSgKjwrbnEtUuT9MK96YtZ3le78NGIZyuuQmTRvDwGFSDkEQLB4yynTZsh