1 2
novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
12/26/13 10:16 a.m.

take away or deny then a driver's license if they drop out of school..

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/12/26/bill-would-strip-drivers-license-from-truant-kids/

surely they've seen all the polls that say that kids today don't really care as much about being able to drive as they did in the past, and surely they know that if someone wants or needs to drive they won't be stopped by the lack of a state issued plastic card..

and they've also surely taken into account that people without licenses won't have their car insured, either...

i'm sure they thought of everything and decided that this is the best way to fix things... the increase in tickets issued for driving without a license and insurance will surely raise enough money to fix the schools and usher in an era of 100% graduation rates where everyone is on the honor roll and gets to be the valedictorian...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/13 10:23 a.m.

,my head hurts from reading the comments

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
12/26/13 10:34 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: ,my head hurts from reading the comments

This one made me laugh.

"I wonder if this will get shot down for being racist. Presumably absenteeism is higher among minorities but then car ownership is probably higher amongst whites. But having a drivers license requires some kind of birth certificate or other Govt. ID and since we know having to produce such a thing is racist then minority kids are being stripped of their right to be stripped of their right to drive......or something."

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
12/26/13 10:43 a.m.

I was more surprised that Michigan gives out learners permits at 14 years and 9 months. When I was a kid in Ohio it was 16. I would have loved to be able to drive 1 year and 3 months earlier though I not sure I would have been good or ready for it.

Yes, this does sound like a suburban solution to a suburban problem. The kid who stays home all day playing xbox rather than going to school may see the light and actually go to school because it risks the car he expects he will get from his parents at 16 or at graduation.
In an deep urban environment where a young male does not expect to live to the age of 21, this will have little effect.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
12/26/13 10:49 a.m.

Dude seriously stop posting this E36 M3, between the duck dynasty thread and this you're making my head hurt.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/26/13 11:31 a.m.

In a way, IN has had this for awhile.......when I got my license a bit over a decade ago, those who were HS dropouts couldn't get theirs until they turned 18. Evidently this law requiring students to be in school until 18yo is also the reason my cousin was nearly 3 years behind the others, but couldn't get held back and couldn't leave....

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/26/13 11:39 a.m.

Required to be in school until 18? I was 17 when I graduated. I didn't skip any grades, lots of kids have it work out that way, just depends where your birthday falls.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/26/13 11:45 a.m.

Tennessee has the same law. I don't know if it has helped any.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
12/26/13 1:38 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: I was more surprised that Michigan gives out learners permits at 14 years and 9 months. When I was a kid in Ohio it was 16. I would have loved to be able to drive 1 year and 3 months earlier though I not sure I would have been good or ready for it.

That's a mandatory parents on board permit, for logging hours. You don't get to drive alone until 16.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/26/13 2:33 p.m.

On one hand I wonder if truancy is even a legitimate problem. Who the berkeley cares if other people's kids go to school? Mine are going because I want them to. If you want your kids out doing the farming, herding cattle, sewing sweatshirts or cooking meth why would I care? Does anyone really get arrested for this anyway? I'm sure cops have nothing better to do than go around picking up kids off the street who can't produce a written excuse.

On the other hand...lets say we agree that it's cool the government mandates that your kids will receive an education and it's a crime if they don't. It is a crime here in PA. But... how is that related to driving? Just because kids theoretically want to drive more than they mind sleeping in juvenile prison? That seems like a bit of a leap.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
12/26/13 2:52 p.m.

If you wanna hit 'em where it really hurts take away their smart phones.

I kid, I kid.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/26/13 3:00 p.m.

The larger districts around me have "Truency Police".......they look like a Gestapo hit sqaud.

Mmadness
Mmadness Reader
12/26/13 3:22 p.m.

So then when they do drop out of school, they won't be able to commute to a job and will be living off welfare, brilliant! Where can I sign up?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/26/13 3:25 p.m.

this thread needs moar hot chick teachers not getting fired for being in Hustler and/or banging their students.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/13 3:26 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: On one hand I wonder if truancy is even a legitimate problem. Who the berkeley cares if other people's kids go to school? Mine are going because I want them to. If you want your kids out doing the farming, herding cattle, sewing sweatshirts or cooking meth why would I care? Does anyone really get arrested for this anyway? I'm sure cops have nothing better to do than go around picking up kids off the street who can't produce a written excuse. On the other hand...lets say we agree that it's cool the government mandates that your kids will receive an education and it's a crime if they don't. It is a crime here in PA. But... how is that related to driving? Just because kids theoretically want to drive more than they mind sleeping in juvenile prison? That seems like a bit of a leap.

If a kid's in school his not out mugging old ladies. This atleast gives them a few hours of daylight to go to the beauty parlor and get in a game of bingo. Tying the license to school seems counterproductive though. If I was a good student I wouldn't have needed to drive a bus.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
12/26/13 3:44 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: Dude seriously stop posting this E36 M3, between the duck dynasty thread and this you're making my head hurt.

it's not my fault you don't have any self control and need to not only click on everything, but also comment on it..

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/26/13 3:51 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: Dude seriously stop posting this E36 M3, between the duck dynasty thread and this you're making my head hurt.

I missed the DD thread. I figured we would have one and it would get locked quickly. How long did it last?

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
12/26/13 4:44 p.m.
Flight Service wrote:
I missed the DD thread. I figured we would have one and it would get locked quickly. How long did it last?

it's still open..

lots of good civil discussion happened there..

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/13 4:51 p.m.

Oh yay I was just saying the world isn't regressive enough and we don't have enough zero-tolerance/exorbitant consequence type stuff happening already.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/26/13 4:56 p.m.
Wally wrote: If a kid's in school his not out mugging old ladies.

It's a balance. Without children to mug them - they will be out crossing streets and more generally, are just plain depressing to have to look at.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
12/26/13 4:57 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: this thread needs moar hot chick teachers *not* getting fired for being in Hustler and/or banging their students.
Sput
Sput Reader
12/26/13 8:24 p.m.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/27/13 1:42 p.m.

thank you GPS!

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
12/27/13 5:53 p.m.

When I got my licence almost 20 years ago in Texas, I had to get a Verification of Enrollment form from my high school. I thought most states had something similar.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
12/27/13 7:47 p.m.

not here in MN in 1990... i got my permit that summer, took driver's ed, then got my license on oct 30- 2 days after my 16th birthday. i never had to prove that i was in school- they only cared that i had enough money to pay the fees and that i was able to pass the tests..

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tCgRGvidvWzWtVLZuxv1WZRmBk5ymBGwEcYa4MZLDSlGKL26tQGXZXruuUsC4OFw