1 ... 216 217 218 219 220 ... 223
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/5/24 8:31 a.m.

No, no, no, I got SO laughed at in the 6th grade when they showed the human body, one side red, the other blue.  I suggested blood was blue until it gets oxygenated, then turns red.  Everybody laughed, the teacher just shook his head and said something about "demonstration purposes".   So if you put your arm in a vacuum and slice it open, it won't come out blue?

The room rocked with laughter you could probably hear across the street.  Is there a doctor in the house?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/5/24 8:32 a.m.

=~ /

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/5/24 8:59 a.m.

You are a bag of saltwater and you're red inside because you have rust pumping through your veins.

Every one of us is a shipwreck.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/5/24 10:02 a.m.
914Driver said:

No, no, no, I got SO laughed at in the 6th grade when they showed the human body, one side red, the other blue.  I suggested blood was blue until it gets oxygenated, then turns red.  Everybody laughed, the teacher just shook his head and said something about "demonstration purposes".   So if you put your arm in a vacuum and slice it open, it won't come out blue?

The room rocked with laughter you could probably hear across the street.  Is there a doctor in the house?

I'm sorry they laughed at you but 6th grade 914Driver was correct.  Bullies ruined your view of blood for your whole life.

Red blood cells contain a molecule called hemoglobin, which binds and transports oxygen through our bodies. Hemoglobin is made up of four protein chains that each bind an additional ring-shaped chemical structure called heme.

Our red blood cells are red because of the heme groups in hemoglobin. In turn, our blood is red because of the millions of red blood cells that it contains.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318171

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/5/24 11:00 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Blood is never blue. It can appear bluish through light skin but it is always red. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/5/24 11:07 a.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to Stampie :

Blood is never blue. It can appear bluish through light skin but it is always red. 

Unless you're a horseshoe crab in disguise!

<scooby doo reveal meme.gif>

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/6/24 4:05 p.m.

TIL, that sometimes a name snafu can be to your advantage.

I could have sworn that I was reading here recently about someone who was the child of a first marriage, who went by her mother's second husband's last name, considered each other father and daughter, etc... but she was never legally adopted by him, never legally changed her name, and this was causing her legal troubles now because there was no chain of documentation between now and her birth certificate.

Pappy Boyington, on the other hand...

In the spring of 1935, he applied for flight training under the Aviation Cadet Act, but he discovered that it excluded married men. Boyington had grown up as Gregory Hallenbeck, and assumed his stepfather, Ellsworth J. Hallenbeck, was his father.  When he obtained a copy of his birth certificate, he learned that his father was actually Charles Boyington, a dentist, and that his parents had divorced when he was an infant. As there was no record of any Gregory Boyington ever being married, he enrolled as a U.S. Marine Corps aviation cadet using that name.

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
7/8/24 7:00 a.m.
914Driver said:

So the Magic School Bus lied!?  Don't worry, I suggested the same thing.  Teacher said "oh, the veins are blue".  Proposed a similar experiment as well.  

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
7/8/24 10:37 a.m.

My mother ran a pathology lab for about 25 years. She knew more about blood than a vampire. When I asked this color question after a discussion in a chemistry class in HS she said,"Your veins look blue, the blood can range from a dark maroon color to bright red depending on the oxygen content."

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/9/24 9:46 a.m.

TIL that the Mercedes 600 Grosser not only had hydraulic suspension, but:

• hydraulic power windows
  • hydraulic power sunroof and divider window
  • hydraulic power seats
  • hydraulic door and trunk closers
  • hydraulic HVAC damper and temperature controls

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/10/24 4:57 p.m.

TIL that in 1985 the Monte Carlo SS and Grand National had almost identical 0-60 and quarter mile times. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/24 7:49 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

I wouldn't have guessed a Grand National was that horrifically slow 

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/10/24 7:54 p.m.
Duke said:

TIL that the Mercedes 600 Grosser not only had hydraulic suspension, but:

• hydraulic power windows
  • hydraulic power sunroof and divider window
  • hydraulic power seats
  • hydraulic door and trunk closers
  • hydraulic HVAC damper and temperature controls

A lot of postwar luxury cars had hydraulic stuff like that.  It was quiet and relatively reliable and very, very smooth, all the decorum required from someone whose station in life could afford them such a vehicle.

My customer who played with older cars (he had a Morris Minor, and a really nice '55 Olds that he traded for a '40 Cadillac) said that at the car shows he went to, they judged not just for visuals but also operation.  So a judge was watching the power windows working on a Packard or something when something in the door let loose and dumped hydraulic fluid all over his shoes.

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/10/24 7:58 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Peabody :

I wouldn't have guessed a Grand National was that horrifically slow 

They were fast for the time, but the key was, even the cold air cars from '86-87 were almost artificially slow.  There was a lot of power to be made just from changing the air cleaner configuration.

A free breathing intake, a little tighter on the wastegate rod(*), and a Red Armstrong chip, and you really start moving.  And then you start to play with adjustable fuel pressure regulators and turning the boost up further... and then a looser converter so it flashes up to 9-10psi boost instead of just seven...  manual brake S10 Blazer wheel cylinders for more rear braking force to hold you at the line at the dragstrip...

* It seemed to be a given that people would replace the wastegate rod E clip with an alligator clip, for no-tools boost tuning on the street or at the track.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/11/24 9:10 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

You put a T fitting with a flow control on the center port  inline to the wastegate actuator. Want more boost? Bleed off some pressure fooling the wastegate.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/11/24 9:49 a.m.

Back in the olden days of 240 Volvo turbos, where we lacked knock sensors and electronics and such, we would take a piece of small vacuum hose and insert it into the wastegate pressure hose.  It gave you a second or two of over boost, but not for long enough to start heating and killing stuff. 

After adjusting the wastegate to max boost, of course.

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/11/24 11:58 a.m.
Peabody said:

You put a T fitting with a flow control on the center port  inline to the wastegate actuator. Want more boost? Bleed off some pressure fooling the wastegate.

That doesn't really work the same as increasing the tension on the rod, though.  Exhaust manifold pressure can also blow the wastegate open.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/11/24 4:57 p.m.

I've never seen that happen. I think if it does you have other problems than trying to figure out how to increase boost.

Looking at the numbers, the GN, Monte SS, wife's Sonic, and son's G5 are all pretty close. How things change.

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/11/24 5:03 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

Well, then just go back in time and tell people that they're doing it wrong smiley  Adjusting the wastegate is repeatable and backtrackable.  And BGNs can run up to 100psi exhaust manifold pressure, depending on the setup, so opening the wastegate early is definitely a possibility.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/12/24 4:58 p.m.

The La Salle has posi. 😎

Installing the drive shaft, spun the axle to line up, wheel spins.  That's good.  Spun again, same direction, both hubs rotate in the same direction!

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/12/24 5:56 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

I don't think limited slip diffs existed back then, did they?

An older drag racer was telling about old timers from his perspective, think slingshot dragster, and how they used to use a special gear oil that you can't find anymore because it had powdered lead in it, and it was the only thing that would keep open diffs alive during a burnout.  Because open diffs were all that you could get.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/12/24 6:40 p.m.

OK.  My junkyard test is my test.  Ya think an 84 year old 4200 lb. Fat chick cares?

Not a concern, just an observation.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/12/24 8:41 p.m.

They must have known about Lincoln Lockers back then...

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
7/13/24 12:13 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

My bet is rusty spider gears, the fat chick hasn't moved around much lately.

wae
wae UltimaDork
7/13/24 5:32 a.m.

TIL that if your fortunate enough to buy one of the 50 RB17s that they're going to make your warranty will be 2 years or 4,000 kms.

1 ... 216 217 218 219 220 ... 223

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jh3RFqtXGzac3SHg5diJN7jqdbSAeccyBF4gZAAWYtqEjZLS43k2brlx1hOwHUvG