1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 ... 213
Peabody here
Peabody here UltimaDork
3/23/20 11:18 a.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

This weekend the Dancer and I learned that we may not be as comfortable with the idea of adopting a child as we had thought. A couple we're good friends with came out the the cabin Friday night with their 5-year-old and he was a complete nightmare, leaving us lying in bed that night going O_O "Yeah, we might need to reconsider this."

That's not a bad child, that's bad parents

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/23/20 11:36 a.m.
Peabody here said:
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

This weekend the Dancer and I learned that we may not be as comfortable with the idea of adopting a child as we had thought. A couple we're good friends with came out the the cabin Friday night with their 5-year-old and he was a complete nightmare, leaving us lying in bed that night going O_O "Yeah, we might need to reconsider this."

That's not a bad child, that's bad parents

Eh, it could go either way.

Some times kids just lose their minds for no apparent reason.  Or they stop listening.  Or they had too much sugar for breakfast, or something.

It is certainly rough when they choose not to listen and can't get their emotions out except for crying and whining and yelling.  A little time out and a talk usually helps, but it's not really possible to never have a child have a hissy fit every now and then.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
3/23/20 2:53 p.m.

TIL, that some of you still think having children is a good thing.

I'll reiterate.  Slowly and clearly for the people in the back to wake up and heed my words.

No.

Just no.

Kids will ruin everything in your life that you enjoy.  Yes they have cute moments and at times it'll be rewarding, but that's just an evolutionary adaptation to help them survive.  All of your money, all of your time, all of your freedom:  gone.

And they're a one way decision, no backsies on kids.  

Just no.

edit: before you write me off as a child hating crank be aware I have 4 teenagers 19, 18, 17, and 15.  If I ever commit a serious crime the judge has to give me credit for time served.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/23/20 4:02 p.m.

Hey Jeremy, why are you such a child hating crank?

Also, over the past few weeks I have learned that my farts cannot hold a candle to a newborns farts. Or ignite a candle as well as a newborns farts? Not quite sure, but my kid farts a lot. I find it hilarious because apparently I am also a child.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
3/23/20 4:37 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

My mom raised 6 kids which includes a set of twins (#1, #2).

She always joked that she should have raised show dogs instead. 

I always joked she could've had white carpeting in her living room and a Corvette instead of a Taurus, Cutlass......

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/23/20 4:43 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

I can't speak for Jeremy, but aside from the cost, never ending noise, stickiness, and always under footness of children, the biggest thing I hate about them is that they turn into adults. 

I never EVER wanted kids. I now have an almost 5 year old that's mine, and her 12 year old half sister. 

Unlike everyone else here, it seems, the 12 year old girl is pretty chill. Sleeps till noon, Khan academy till 3 or 4, then watches anime in her room. The big stress cause has been the upset to the almost 5 year olds schedule, and the distinct lack of 12 other kids her age to play with everyday now that schools and parks are closed. 

I have a theory children grow so fast by draining the life force from their parents, not getting the reprieve that sending her to school every day granted me, I'm finding that theory to be true. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
3/23/20 5:52 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I've been touting that theory for years!   Seriously, I'll be feeling just fine.  My kid(s) will walk into the room and my legs can barely hold me up.  It's like they are life force vampires angry

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/20 5:54 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I used to joke that I didn't want kids, I'd be better off sponsoring someone going through college.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
3/23/20 8:09 p.m.

I thought I knew what being happy was like before having kids. Now I know that was a feeble simulacrum of happiness. 

I thought I knew what being tired was like before having kids. Now I know that was pure rookie stuff.

I thought I knew what being angry and frustrated was like before having kids ... well you know where I'm headed. 

The peaks are way higher and the valleys are lower. But over all the average is amazing. Like anything really worth doing it's so so berkeleying hard. 

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
3/24/20 5:16 a.m.

TIL what the piece of paper inside a Hershey's Kiss is called. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/24/20 5:54 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

TIL I want to know what the piece of paper inside a Hershey's Kiss is called.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
3/24/20 6:24 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I'm going to suggest you go look it up. I'm not going to type it here and risk getting cancelled.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/24/20 6:28 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

TIL some of us are too selfish to share our knowledge, but would prefer to brag that we have it instead! cheeky

wae
wae UltraDork
3/24/20 6:44 a.m.

TIL that my 12 year old's latest youtube search term is "bucket of sloths".

I'm not sure what to do with that information.

eastpark
eastpark Reader
3/24/20 6:50 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Interesting question, does it have a "nom de plume"?

smiley

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
3/24/20 7:08 a.m.

In reply to secretariata :

Not that I'm selfish. More that it sounds kind of like a racial slur and I don't want to offend anyone or get in trouble.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/24/20 8:19 a.m.

Niggly Wiggly is the name folks. Mods, strike this if you want to, but please don't banish me!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
3/24/20 8:19 a.m.
NickD said:

In reply to Stampie :

I'm going to suggest you go look it up. I'm not going to type it here and risk getting cancelled.

Good plan

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/24/20 9:34 a.m.
wae said:

TIL that my 12 year old's latest youtube search term is "bucket of sloths".

I'm not sure what to do with that information.

I just learned what I'm looking up when I'm off of work.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/24/20 4:33 p.m.

TIL we are 23 trillion dollars in debt. Holy E36 M3.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/20 4:44 p.m.
Appleseed said:

TIL we are 23 trillion dollars in debt. Holy E36 M3.

A bit over 20 years ago, we had a balanced budget and the national debt was only a little over one trillion.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/24/20 6:33 p.m.

TIL (or rather yesterday) the Arizona Teas makes a strawberry Arnold Palmer. Unfortunately I've only seen it at one gas station and never in a nearby grocery store...

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/27/20 7:58 p.m.

TIL that the fender liners in the i8 are made of some kind of felted material. 

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/27/20 8:32 p.m.

Also, interesting seeing how the intake is done in this picture. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/27/20 9:35 p.m.

TIL mtn isn't mountain like I've always thought.

1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
szAk155DuxQRPe2ayaJu51I83DbLSHUnHCi1B15JiS30QbWnDzWNVLw50VSt2OSA