1 2 3 4
914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
5/9/10 3:20 p.m.

I always hire a lawyer, the $200 you give them way offsets the increase in insurance premiums.

I got tagged for an illegal left turn, getting on a ramp the pinhead n front of me was looking over his right shoulder, trying to get back into the go straight lane instead of the left turn only lane.

Screw this, I'm not getting hit with the debris, I hooked it up the ramp. Cop six cars back. I explained my case, and hey, you didn't see what I saw, judgement call.

$100 in front of the Judge, no points.

What's your time worth? 2 - 3 hours hanging around a courthouse or pay a lawyer some bucks.

The bigger deal is you don't want points on your license, that will follow you and cost you for some time to come.

My experience, YMMV.

Dan

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte New Reader
5/9/10 4:40 p.m.

My last 4 speeding tickets I have called the court clerk and asked about probation for a speeding ticket. Sometimes its an extra charge (25.00). Sometimes you have to appear and grovel in person. Either way it has not shown up when my insurance company runs my driving record.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/9/10 4:48 p.m.

I've received ALOT of tickets in my time with a drivers license. That being said, I've only contested about 5 of them. 3 with a lawyer, 2 without. the three with a lawyer, was nice, did most of it over the phone, other than dropping off all the documents he needed. Never had to goto court, when it was all said and done, everything was dropped. Now the two I contested were a careless driving ticket and a seatbelt ticket believe it or not. Careless driving, was about 5 or 6 lane changes in a 150 yard stretch with the cop on the other side of the overpass.; Judge looked at her and asked, were you in a position to see all this? her answer was "no", got a letter a week later that it was dropped. The seatbelt ticket was dropped due to the cop not showing up. Hiring a lawyer isn't so bad, around here there are lawyers that will handle non criminal traffic tickets for about 75 bucks. half the time you don't have to pay the fine, half the time you do, but most of the time points are never assessed even if you have to pay the fine.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
5/9/10 5:24 p.m.

I'm not a cop, but I live with a cop's daughter..

The cop probably offered "help" for two reasons: first, you pulled right over-so he didn't have to chase you down. They really, really like that. Second, first offense (they know the repeat offenders in their locale-and share the info in the squadroom, if you've got a local plate and he's never seen your face, it's a good bet it was an abnormal situation).

IME, points cost more (insurance rates) than lawyers.

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
5/9/10 7:50 p.m.

I am hearing two different stories:

Go and show up and get pts removed

and

Get a lawyer and get pts removed.

I understand the points are the big deal, obviously. The court time is at 5 - so no loss of work time, only a slightly ticked off wife.

I have heard you guys say both that it's disrespectful to NOT have a lawyer and that it's disrespectful to HAVE a lawyer. I don't know which, but being in South Carolina and the cop obviously seemed relatively happy with me, I am leaning towards just showing up. Do lawyers typically get better results? The biggie is the traffic school. It's obviously preferable to points, but multiple days away from the fam would be tough.

Thanks for all of the help, guys.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
5/9/10 9:12 p.m.

I got nailed for reckless driving a couple of weeks after I got my MINI in Greenville, went to the court and was dressed nice and respectful.

Judge gave me nothing, not even a fine, as long as I went to defensive driving. Didn't even make it out of the building before I signed up for that class.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/9/10 9:20 p.m.

I have never used a lawyer in traffic court. I'm not saying you shouldn't, just my experiance.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
5/10/10 10:28 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: I am hearing two different stories: Go and show up and get pts removed and Get a lawyer and get pts removed. I understand the points are the big deal, obviously. The court time is at 5 - so no loss of work time, only a slightly ticked off wife. I have heard you guys say both that it's disrespectful to NOT have a lawyer and that it's disrespectful to HAVE a lawyer. I don't know which, but being in South Carolina and the cop obviously seemed relatively happy with me, I am leaning towards just showing up. Do lawyers typically get better results? The biggie is the traffic school. It's obviously preferable to points, but multiple days away from the fam would be tough. Thanks for all of the help, guys.

Advice from a guy who gets at least one ticket a year, but has never had a jump in insurance rates:

Hiring a lawyer seems insane. But then again, I get a lot of tickets, and my insurance is dirt cheap because I drive cheap, old, crappy cars. If the cop said he's going to "help you out," he probably means it. I had one like that a couple years ago. Cop talked to the judge, dropped the points and the fine with no effort on my part.

I always show up dressed nicely. No need for a 3 piece suit, but a dress shirt and tie don't hurt. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts you'll be the most nicely dressed dude there.

Be polite. Smile. Don't be afraid. They're all just normal dudes, even if they're dressed funny. I always plead "No lo," unless the cop isn't there, in which case I'll plead "Not Guilty." It's the STATE'S responsibility to PROVE your guilt, not your responsibility to prove your innocence. Don't forget that. I understand wanting to be honest and just take your medicine, but I view traffic cops as tax collectors, not enforcers of highway safety. If it's not important enough to the berkeleyer who popped me for SAFELY driving over the speed limit to show up to court to prove my guilt, I'm not guilty. I digress.

If the officer is there (9 times out of 10,) be honest when you speak to the judge. He'll ask if you have any prior tickets, to which your answer is obviously "No, your honor, this is my first offense, and I was hoping I could have the points dropped and the fine lowered."

It's just like any other negotiation. Ask for a lot and take what you can get. Keep in mind, THEY JUST WANT THE MONEY! They're not interested in ruining your life over a speeding ticket.

Chances are, you'll get the points knocked off, and just have to pay the fine.

Funny aside: I had to go about a month ago for rolling through a stop sign. Cop didn't show up. Judge and the DA played good cop/bad cop (Judge was giving ME a plausible story as to why it APPEARED to the officer that I had run the stop sign - DA claimed that they had video...but it'd take him a week to get it.) The DA was trying to get me to admit guilt, which wasn't happening.

Hindsight being 20/20, what I SHOULD'VE done was been a real prick and requested a jury trial. But I just wanted to get the f* out of there. They'd wasted an hour of my time that I could've been making money, and I didn't want to let them have any more of my time.

Anyway, I said "I own a business, and I don't have time to come back here again. How about you knock off the points, cut the fine in half, and we'll call it even." DA says "No way. If you pay the fine, you're pleading guilty, and you'll pay the WHOLE fine and get the points." Judge says, "Forget that, we'll just call it 'court costs.'"

Done deal. I paid my 80 bucks, and not only had the points dropped, but the ticket basically doesn't exist.

wbjones
wbjones Dork
5/10/10 4:14 p.m.

sounds like you had a shiny happy person for a DA... something had set him off... maybe he thought he had seen you too often

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/10/10 6:09 p.m.

something to think of... I know in NJ that with Moving violations. the city has to share the fine with the state. If they can move it to a non-moving local violation.. they get to keep all the money

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/11/10 7:56 p.m.

talk to the cop before your hearing. if he'll pull your record and see it's clean, he'll probably recommend making it a parking ticket. like someone else said, they just want your money, and they don't get any more of your money if you wind up with points.

Josh
Josh Dork
5/11/10 8:36 p.m.

Sort of off topic, but the thread had me thinking - what is everyone else's typical ratio of being pulled over to actually getting a ticket. In 12 years, I have 2 tickets (one bullE36 M3, one absolutely deserved, didn't contest either), but I have been pulled over at least 9 additional times that I can recall without getting a ticket (including 4 written warnings). Am I exceptionally lucky? I'm always very polite, never volunteer incriminating information, and my typical stop is in the 10-15 mph overlimit range (that one ticket I said I deserved -- I was going 32 over, oops).

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/11/10 8:42 p.m.

While I was delivering pizza I was pulled over about 12 times in 2 years and got a ticket one time, no written warnings. I am also very polite with the officer and range from 10-15mph over. One time I was pulled over in the Miata for 37 in a 25 (speed limit on that road really should be 35) and the female officer liked my car so she just gave me a verbal warning.

Josh
Josh Dork
5/11/10 8:54 p.m.

My last stop was on the way to an autocross at a racetrack in the Miata. I got a written warning for 46 in a 30 (it was a back road that I figured was a 45). After he gave me the warning, he asked me if I was on the way to the track, and commented on how clean my car was for its age :).

porksboy
porksboy Dork
5/11/10 9:52 p.m.

Pulled over multiple times in 27 years of driving (more than I can count) one verbal warning, one written warning. Cop had nothing on the verbal, written liked my sign in the rear window of my truck. I have paid the equivelent of the GDP of a small third world country in fines over the years.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
5/12/10 6:58 a.m.
poopshovel wrote:
tuna55 wrote: I am hearing two different stories: Go and show up and get pts removed and Get a lawyer and get pts removed. I understand the points are the big deal, obviously. The court time is at 5 - so no loss of work time, only a slightly ticked off wife. I have heard you guys say both that it's disrespectful to NOT have a lawyer and that it's disrespectful to HAVE a lawyer. I don't know which, but being in South Carolina and the cop obviously seemed relatively happy with me, I am leaning towards just showing up. Do lawyers typically get better results? The biggie is the traffic school. It's obviously preferable to points, but multiple days away from the fam would be tough. Thanks for all of the help, guys.
Advice from a guy who gets at least one ticket a year, but has never had a jump in insurance rates: Hiring a lawyer seems insane. But then again, I get a lot of tickets, and my insurance is dirt cheap because I drive cheap, old, crappy cars. If the cop said he's going to "help you out," he probably means it. I had one like that a couple years ago. Cop talked to the judge, dropped the points and the fine with no effort on my part. I always show up dressed nicely. No need for a 3 piece suit, but a dress shirt and tie don't hurt. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts you'll be the most nicely dressed dude there. Be polite. Smile. Don't be afraid. They're all just normal dudes, even if they're dressed funny. I always plead "No lo," unless the cop isn't there, in which case I'll plead "Not Guilty." It's the STATE'S responsibility to PROVE your guilt, not your responsibility to prove your innocence. Don't forget that. I understand wanting to be honest and just take your medicine, but I view traffic cops as tax collectors, not enforcers of highway safety. If it's not important enough to the berkeleyer who popped me for SAFELY driving over the speed limit to show up to court to prove my guilt, I'm not guilty. I digress. If the officer is there (9 times out of 10,) be honest when you speak to the judge. He'll ask if you have any prior tickets, to which your answer is obviously "No, your honor, this is my first offense, and I was hoping I could have the points dropped and the fine lowered." It's just like any other negotiation. Ask for a lot and take what you can get. Keep in mind, THEY JUST WANT THE MONEY! They're not interested in ruining your life over a speeding ticket. Chances are, you'll get the points knocked off, and just have to pay the fine. Funny aside: I had to go about a month ago for rolling through a stop sign. Cop didn't show up. Judge and the DA played good cop/bad cop (Judge was giving ME a plausible story as to why it APPEARED to the officer that I had run the stop sign - DA claimed that they had video...but it'd take him a week to get it.) The DA was trying to get me to admit guilt, which wasn't happening. Hindsight being 20/20, what I SHOULD'VE done was been a real prick and requested a jury trial. But I just wanted to get the f* out of there. They'd wasted an hour of my time that I could've been making money, and I didn't want to let them have any more of my time. Anyway, I said "I own a business, and I don't have time to come back here again. How about you knock off the points, cut the fine in half, and we'll call it even." DA says "No way. If you pay the fine, you're pleading guilty, and you'll pay the WHOLE fine and get the points." Judge says, "Forget that, we'll just call it 'court costs.'" Done deal. I paid my 80 bucks, and not only had the points dropped, but the ticket basically doesn't exist.

In Indiana, there's a big sign outside the traffic court that says "There only has to be evidence that you LIKELY committed the crime for a judgement to be made."

Or something of the sort.

Innocent until proven guilty apparently doesn't apply here.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
5/12/10 7:41 a.m.

My last two point ticket in SC (infamous Blacksburg speed trap) cost me big in insurance uppage. Almost double for three years. The same insurance company upped my premium after I didn't turn in a tag within the allotted time. I thought we were going to transfer the tag to another car so I had no reason to. Three months later wifey said we didn't have to transfer the tag so i turned it in then. State didn't issue a ticket/fine, but good old State Farm stuck it to me.

edited for spellers

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
5/12/10 9:14 a.m.

Poopshovels advise about how to behave is excellent. Only thing I'd add is get to the court early (or at least on time) and watch the judge. They have different personalities and ways about them. Handle yourself accordingly.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
5/12/10 9:54 a.m.

Worst ticket I ever got was for Attaching Tag Not Assigned. Went to jail in cuffs, spent 9 hours there. Bailed out. Two weeks later go to court, dressed in a suit. This was in the Florida Keys, and I was the only person there in a suit. Most had flip flops and dirty t-shirts. Most cases were domestics, drunk and disorderly, lobster poaching, etc. It was really like the old tv show Night Court. Judges name was Ronald Reagan and was a comedian. My turn, I explained why I had swapped tags from my 280zx to the van, why I could not get the title for the van because the company I got it from had been bought out several times and they could not find paperwork, had a letter to verify that. Judge listened, turned to the DA and asked her what she wanted to do. She said to drop it. That was it. Of course I had a good bit of herb in the truck, along with a concealed 357, which was never noticed, so needless to say, it all worked out a lot better than it could have. That was also the weekend I decided to marry my now-wife.

alex
alex Dork
5/12/10 11:39 a.m.

There has to be some kind of traffic law factory in your town - they probably advertise on local cable stations or on the back of the 'alternative' newspaper. Their office is required by law to be no more than two doors down from a greasy Chinese take-out place in an otherwise abandoned strip mall in a questionable part of town. Take your ticket to them (or call them - they probably don't even need to see you). You'll pay a couple hundred plus court costs, and they'll plead it down to a non-moving violation so the points don't hit your license. That's the easiest, quickest way to deal with it if you just want it done and out of your hair.

You can go to court yourself. You might save a couple hundred bucks. But you will lose hours from your life you won't get back. Hours spent in traffic court, at night. Aside from "intense physical pain," "traffic court" is one of the worst phrases I can think of to follow "you're going to spend the next few hours of your life in..."

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
5/12/10 12:34 p.m.
You can go to court yourself. You might save a couple hundred bucks. But you will lose hours from your life you won't get back.

Depends on the region, judge, etc. This last time, I was in there about an hour, which is the longest I've ever spent in court for a traffic ticket. Their system was all wonky this time. There were some folks in there for DUI arraignment, etc., who probably should've been at the "back of the line."

Sometimes my time is worth money. Sometimes my time is worth nothing. Had I saved myself the $80 (and/or whatever the insurance hike would be had I gotten the points, and if I drove a nice, new car,) it'd all be worth it. $80 for an hour of doin' nothin' is good scratch!

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
5/12/10 1:18 p.m.

I would always fight a simple speeding ticket... if for nothing more than to reduce their profit margin.

But for something more serious (an accident of any sort, etc) I'd definitely go in with council.

My wife somehow upset the attending officer in a lowish speed accident that was her fault. Both she and he could see that the oil cooler was damaged and that the engine had been drained of its oil.

He gave her the choice of driving the car away or getting two tickets. She refused to start the car (knowing it would danage the engine) and got the two tickets... both dismissed with the help of a lawyer. Two tickets on top of a chargeable accident would have sent my insurance through the roof...

Bill

Ian F
Ian F Dork
5/12/10 1:44 p.m.
Hocrest wrote: Last year while driving through Jersey, I got a ticket. It was about $150 and there is no reciprocity with points between NJ and PA for speeding tickets. So I just paid it. But, within the next week I got letters from 20+ ambulance chasers in NJ.

Same here.

I just went to traffic court yesterday. Got a ticket for driving on a closed road (long, boring story...). Not a points ticket, but a $54 fine + $33 in court fees. The guy before me and the lady after both got the same citations... all of the other tickets I've gotten in this twp (I work here, so there's been a few...) were speeding tickets and were able to be paid online (PA resident, so don't care about NJ points...) but this one is court appearance required... WTF... I really wanted to ask, "Why I am here? I would have just as easily paid the $87 online and not wasted your time and a 2-hour lunch..." All I got out of it was finding out exactly why the bloody road was closed...

For the speeding tickets, the procecutor offered the reduced points option, but they add a $250 surcharge. I can see how NJ residents would take this option.

One ticket I did get in PA, they local twp also offered the "points deferred" option. Plead guilty for a different ticket, pay the fine. No points. Local townships don't really care about points. They just want the $$$ and want it as quickly and painless (for them) as possible. I was in and out of the courthouse in about 45 minutes.

After awhile, you do start looking at the whole thing as legalized extortion... and with the economic downturn and resulting drop in tax revenue, it feels like it's gotten even worse like they're using ticket revenue to make ends meet.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
5/12/10 1:52 p.m.

I have been lucky, my last 2 tickets had been in Dryden and the judge told me that county policy was to drop the ticket 1 "level" if you plead on the first appearance.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
5/12/10 3:26 p.m.

A co-worker got a ticket in Greer, SC. He was offered three options. The most expensve was $300, but would end up with no points off and no ticket. The places that will do a reduced violation really stick you with the fine.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OuQS3REq1WPAOX1JO7oftDT0H073h9sIqlPZCKZGxrBt5gzKhvX9WyU0ZXgSt0AT