1 2
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/8/09 1:50 p.m.

I always knew that Peter Gregg's nickname was Peter Perfect. I wonder if this is where it came from. The timing seems about right.

Quote:

Peter Perfect in the Turbo Terrific 9 (the Varoom Roadster)

A jock driving a drag racer that often falls to bits, usually immediately following him making a remark about how reliable it is. Peter had a crush on Penelope Pitstop, and so often stopped to help her; Penelope returned Peter's affections, and in one episode they almost end up married. He always stops to say hello to Penelope. Sometimes Peter Perfect demonstrated an unusual elasticity ability, although this seemed to be just a gag. In development, the car was called the Varoom Roadster, a name used in the Gold Key comic book series.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
3/8/09 8:09 p.m.
Jerry From LA wrote: I'd say the lower age cutoff for remembering this series in its initial run is about 47.

Really? Crap, you guys always make me feel like a geezer.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
3/8/09 11:44 p.m.
ValuePack wrote:
Jerry From LA wrote: I'd say the lower age cutoff for remembering this series in its initial run is about 47.
I'm guessing that's right. I'm 25 and the last I remember seeing a repeat was ~1990. That being said, when my blonde 3yo daughter recieved a pink Barbie Power Wheels from my FIL for her birthday, all I could think of was Penelope Pitstop.

When Cartoon Network first went on the air in 1992, much of the programming was the older Hanna-Barberra stuff. Ted bought H-B right around the time he bought MGM (he almost immediately sold the studio without selling the library). Stuff like Wacky Races was on the air a lot, as animation takes a lot of time to create. The plan was to put HB back to work, but there needed to be something to fill the gap until all the new stuff (Dexter's Lab/Johnny Bravo/Powerpuff Girls/etc.) was ready to go.

BTW: if you've got the big fancy cable with "Boomerang", you can almost get the Cartoon Network you grew up with...

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
3/8/09 11:47 p.m.
Woody wrote: I always knew that Peter Gregg's nickname was Peter Perfect. I wonder if this is where it came from. The timing seems about right.

Yes, that's where it was from. Remember that the Brumos cars were (are!) Red, White, and Blue as well.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uABA1mGGZTMg4XpvI40jy95nEVYC66zVWYwXZiACd8ZqdEF97ofjVowEGrMTdwGl