mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/7/08 12:50 a.m.

So, I'm going to college. I have a Trek 300? I think? its about 8 years old, and it needs a new seat, new tires, gears, and brakes, so I'm thinking that I'm just going to get a new bike.

Its a big campus, but not huge, and it is flat, so I don't need anything special. That being said, with gas being the way it is, I might start to ride it to work next year: 7 miles one way, with small hills.

What should I get? I'm looking to spend as little money as possible, but need it to last 4-5 years. I'm not afraid of used, but I have no idea what is good and what is bad and what is in between.

And also, I know that I need two high quality locks, and lock the wheels and the frame, but would it also be worth it to spray paint it to make it look crappy? Or do they sell stickers that do the same? Just thinking out loud, my friend had two bikes stolen from the same campus even with a $50 lock on it.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/7/08 1:09 a.m.

You could just keep the bike you have so if it gets stolen it won't be a big deal. If you're set on getting a new one, check out craigslist, bikes have terrible depreciation. Maybe convert your trek to a singlespeed. Less things to go wrong that way and that'll prolly be cheaper than getting a new bike.

MitchellC
MitchellC UberDork
7/7/08 1:25 a.m.

Bike thieves look for the following: The easiest to take or the most expensive. If you're neither of these, then a u-lock through the front wheel and frame should be adequate; just make sure it's locked to something solid. Chains and rope locks are pretty easy to cut through with a pair of bolt cutters, so I wouldn't suggest either of those.

If you are paranoid, get a bike with a quick-release front wheel, take it off, put it right next to the rear wheel, and run the u-lock through the railing, back wheel, frame, and front wheel. I did this overnight when I lived in the dorms. It sounds kind of daunting but it only took 30 seconds.

If you need that much for your bike, you might as well sell your current one and buy another. Like someone else said, pretty much every component/accessory for a bicycle costs thirty dollars. I don't know why that is, but it's the rule.

I would recommend a cheap road bike or a mountain bike. If you get the latter, consider getting some road tires for it; it will make riding on pavement a lot faster and easier.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
7/7/08 8:33 a.m.

I agree with all of the above. Buy a used, high quality but plain-jane mountain bike. Then get some road tires for it. And a nice u-lock. Bikes with properly locked U-locks just don't get stolen unless it's some 3k wunderbike.

You'll be thankful for the "mountain" part when you're hopping curbs, running across grass, etc. Shortcuts are your friend!

Trek, Giant, older Shwinns, etc.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter UltimaDork
7/7/08 8:41 a.m.

I went to ASU, which has got to be the bike theft capitol of the world.

The quick-release front wheel, u-lock through both wheels, the frame and something solid was a must there. If you didn't do that, no bike.

Buy a cheap used bike, or fix the one you've got. Seats are $10 a wal-mart, or get a used one. If you have a quick-release post, take your seat (and post) with you when you're in school. One more reason they won't steal your bike.

Tires are cheap, too. I don't know if the 300 is a mountain bike or what, but if it is, get the road tires.

Gears rarely go bad. They need to be cleaned and adjusted. Same with the brakes, although you may need new cables.

Point is, total refurb on your existing bike should be less than 100, if you shop smart and do it yourself.

That's what I'd do.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/7/08 10:39 a.m.

Build a cheap-ass Singlespeed/fixed-gear bike & you won't have to worry about anyone stealing it.

Of course, riding it takes a bit of a learning curve...

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
7/7/08 11:09 a.m.
mtn wrote: So, I'm going to college. I have a Trek 300? I think? its about 8 years old, and it needs a new seat, new tires, gears, and brakes, so I'm thinking that I'm just going to get a new bike.

What is actually wrong with your bike? Tires and brakes are cheap and easy to fix. What the hell did you do to wreck the gears?

I'm going to guess, that your bike is shifting weird and keeps popping between gears in the back. If that is the case, what you need is a new shifter cable, and to have it adjusted properly. The one on there has stretched and/or slipped over time.

A bike seat shouldn't cost too much, and you can get a cushy one.

I'd stick with the old bike that you already have. I don't think anyone on this board would be bothered by an 8 year old car. Why are you worried about an 8 year old bike. My road bike throughout highschool and college was an old thing that my dad had cobbled together from spare parts before I was born (Philwood Hubs FTW!).

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/7/08 12:36 p.m.

might also need a new chain. They stretch over time and make the rear sprockets sound awful

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/7/08 6:21 p.m.
Salanis wrote:
mtn wrote: So, I'm going to college. I have a Trek 300? I think? its about 8 years old, and it needs a new seat, new tires, gears, and brakes, so I'm thinking that I'm just going to get a new bike.
I'd stick with the old bike that you already have. I don't think anyone on this board would be bothered by an 8 year old car. Why are you worried about an 8 year old bike.

I'm not worried with an 8 year old car; our 10 year old and 17 year old cars are more reliable than the 3 and 6 year old cars.

I have had the bike since I was 10, and I have beat it up in every way possible: try to take it off BMX Jumps, jump off a bridge into a lake, get hit by a car (just the bike), I bent the gear change thing when I was playing catch with my brother about 4 years ago (He should have caught the ball), not to mention something happened to it while it was stolen for a week-now it seems like the pedals aren't screwed in right, and I haven't been able to fix it.

I think that I'll just take it in to the local bike shop and have them go over it completely, and put on new whatever they say it needs.

JmfnB
JmfnB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/7/08 6:43 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: I went to ASU, which has got to be the bike theft capitol of the world.

Funny, EVERY campus says that.

I did wrecker service at MSU and at the end of the year we would pick up entire bike racks by the end and pull them thirty bikes deep on to the flatbed.

You can get a nice bike in a college town at the end of the spring term!

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
7/7/08 6:57 p.m.

Sounds like you need to pick up a copy of Make Vol. 11

http://makezine.com/11/ugly/

jitin25
jitin25 New Reader
7/3/13 1:20 a.m.

Exactly in every campus one problem stolen bicycle, Some of the bad guys do these things,

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
7/3/13 1:56 a.m.

If you have a stretched chain, check your gears, because they tend to wear along with the chain. Gear sets DO need to be replaced, often along with the chain on a poorly maintained bike.

Mental
Mental Mod Squad
7/3/13 3:14 a.m.

holy revived dead threads batman!

Where were you 5 years ago?

mtn, what did you do and how did it work out?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/3/13 5:41 a.m.

I think he graduated already!

mtn wrote: So, I'm going to college.
The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
7/3/13 7:03 a.m.

DRINK

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/3/13 7:07 a.m.

This is the guy that resurrected a 5 year old thread, does his command of english suggest a paddler?

jitin25 wrote: Exactly in every campus one problem stolen bicycle, Some of the bad guys do these things,
Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/3/13 7:29 a.m.

Paddler.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jDbW1952WbATRYwj0dL0kIhrG1IdE7JmmVwyb4AZeCJRfgBi4MsNbnKzV6JcmWN9