Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/25/20 9:09 a.m.

As the title states. My grandmother is in the final stages of basically all the cancer. She's been on hospice for almost a week, and I got the call that everyone is flying to her this morning, and she's not expected to finish the weekend. There is no feasible way for me to make it, and family understands. However I was asked to text her (too weak to do anything, but her sister is there and is able to read it to her, this was all my aunt's idea). The problem is, I have no berkeleyin clue what to say. Like, this is the last words I will ever say to this person, and I'm drawing a blank. It doesn't have to be long or flowery, probably shouldn't contain swears, but honestly, I'm lost. Give me a starter or something. Booze is out for a greaser because I'm at work and might need to drive the forklift. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Reader
1/25/20 9:14 a.m.

"I love you" ?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/20 9:17 a.m.

I didn't know it was coming at the time, but I had dinner at my parents' house the night before my mother died. We had a rough relationship when I was in my teens but it got better over time. The last thing I said to her as I left was, "Thanks Mom. I love you."

I've been pretty happy with that, thirteen years later.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
1/25/20 9:21 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

"I love you" ?

This and maybe some sort of thanks.  Perhaps recall a few details of a found memory you hold dear about her.

Maybe express some type prayer too.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/25/20 9:46 a.m.

My Mom had cancer and was getting worse one Christmas Day.  Her wedding anniversary was 2 days later so I bought her a dozen roses.  

Two days later she passed away.  Roses and the I love you worked for me.  

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
1/25/20 9:50 a.m.

People want to feel loved and remembered. Tell her how she's impacted your life (for the better), and maybe share a fond memory of the two of you. Let her know that she'll be missed and remembered fondly.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/25/20 9:50 a.m.

That sucks man.  I'm sorry.  You don't need to get all flowery.  "I love you" "thank you" and "I'll miss you" are all appropriate.  You can add examples of the last two if you have some but you don't need to.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
1/25/20 10:08 a.m.

I've had to do it twice, and found "thanks for everything, I love you" was to the point. 

don't over think it, just do it before you can't. Sorry for your loss. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/20 10:15 a.m.

Definitely I love you.  It's the most simple thing but the most right thing.  You can't go wrong with those 3 words in this situation 

the last 3 words my dad said to his sister were I hate you before she killed herself.  He's been carrying that for almost 50 years.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/25/20 10:37 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I feel ya man.  Sorry to hear you're in this situation.  I'm there too just different.  

Two weeks ago, to the day, I got word that my BIL passed away.  He was 60 yrs old.  In perfect health.  Seemed to drop instantly in his garage (where he remained for 45 minutes-ish before my sister arrived home...aneurysm.)  It has been soul crushing.  In simplest terms, he was the single most influential male in my life.  You see, my father passed away when I was 6 yrs old and this BIL came on the scene, as a boyfriend, when I was 10 yrs old.  

I did not get the chance at final words but if I had...

Aside from the I love yous and the thanks, I would have expanded to say...

Yes, you were the single largest male influence in my life and I have been lucky to have a few but none greater.  

I followed your lead and your examples in my business career.  

I have no idea what I am doing being married but I follow your lead and your examples to the right path.

I have no idea what I am doing raising kids but I follow your lead and your examples to the right path.  

Thank you so much for the guidance.   

Most importantly, I want you to know how much your life has made a difference in my life!  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/25/20 11:00 a.m.

I would agree with something along the lines of "I appreciate having you in my life" and some sort of specific memory like "I will always remember the smell of the muffins you made when I visited". 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/25/20 11:06 a.m.

I just re-read the ordeal I went through with the old man about a year ago in the rant thread. 

I told him my hopes and plans for my future.  I told him I loved him. I made my peace. 

If I could have said more, I would have thanked him for teaching me things, and putting a good head on my shoulders.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/25/20 11:07 a.m.

Welp, that sucked to do. Once I started writing it was easy enough, but berkeley me writing the lat words you'll ever say to a person, knowing that they are? That's unpleasant at best. I don't really want to do that again 

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
1/25/20 10:35 p.m.

Thank you and I love you seem to be the most effective.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/20 10:40 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:
Mr_Asa said:

"I love you" ?

This and maybe some sort of thanks.  Perhaps recall a few details of a found memory you hold dear about her.

Maybe express some type prayer too.

When my grandmother was dying, I knew she always fretted and worried about everyone, so I told her that she can go in peace because she raised us well.  At least, that is what I was trying to say.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/26/20 3:53 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

"I love you" ?

Those were the last words my wife ever said to me & I cannot think of anything I would rather have heard.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/26/20 5:55 a.m.
Mndsm said:

Welp, that sucked to do. Once I started writing it was easy enough, but berkeley me writing the lat words you'll ever say to a person, knowing that they are? That's unpleasant at best. I don't really want to do that again 

Hard? Absolutely. The only thing that would be worse is not getting the chance to do it.

By the time my dad died, his dementia was so bad that we could no longer communicate.

imgon
imgon HalfDork
1/26/20 7:16 a.m.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. As much as that had to suck, you will be so glad you did it later. You had the chance to let her know she is loved by you and made an impact in your life.   So often we don't get that chance to say the "right" thing before we loose someone , they are just gone and we are stuck with the last conversation we had with them. Hope you have lots of great memories of the time you did get to spend with her.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/20 9:18 p.m.

Rather than texting, how about getting somebody to hold the phone to her ear so she can hear your voice and vice versa? I am sure the right words will come of their own accord

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/26/20 9:21 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

Unfortunately- she's not got the ability to really be cohesive long enough for that to be a thing. From what I'm told she's very very close. I suspect I'll get that call at work tomorrow. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/27/20 12:02 a.m.

it doesn't matter, Mndsm, Even if she is unconscious, the sound of your voice will probably help. Before my one grandmother passed, they had her sedated. Before I left to return home, I gave her a kiss and told her I would see her again. A very slight smile tweaked the corner of her lips. Even if your own cannot understand what you are saying, they will know. Make the call, tell her what you need to say, and be assured that somewhere, she will be listening.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/27/20 6:11 a.m.

My 93 year old Dad lives with us. He has dementia. 

Every time I leave the house I realize what I just said may be the last thing I say to him. 

That thought has made me live differently, speak more carefully, and be a better man. 

I’m sorry for your loss. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EZ8Xb6pNcQ72kGY4ukptRrP682eQndROCDRQQzaGGMbPwcwC9laIDqwaVypco8uC