1 ... 20 21 22 23
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/13/23 2:29 p.m.

I've been looking long and hard at gravel bikes lately for something I could ride most of the time.  I could sell the road bike and keep the race bike for those things.  I could ride a gravel bike for 95% if my riding I think and even dabble in cyclocross with it too.

Erich
Erich UberDork
10/13/23 3:38 p.m.

If I was looking for a bike that did it all, from long rides on rough roads to commuting in comfort, I'd probably look at the Priority Apollo, and probably the titanium frame since I've always wanted to try a Ti bike. They even have a sale for the next couple days.

Belt drive, internal gear hub, and fender and rack ready. You can get the Titanium version for $3500. That's probably a bit dear for a commuter but if you're riding it daily in a low-ish theft area maybe not, compared to the ebikes I see locked up around town. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/23 5:12 p.m.

I've done a few rides with my greatly softened suspension, it's suddenly getting cold over here (well, for riding, 10~15C doesn't feel good on your hands and face at speed) so there may not be too many more opportunities to ride this year...went from 110psi F/ 175R to 85F/150R. No problems found so far and I no longer feel the need to double-check the lockout switches over small bumps.

10/16/23 8:41 p.m.

I had so much fun training for and doing an event after 8 years, I went and bought another bike.  Since I like metal and know about nuclear power a tiny bit, and the components are quality....

The family may go ride quarry trails with me this weekend too.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/23 9:03 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

It pleases me to no end that it appears the front brake is connected to the right brake lever.

10/16/23 9:45 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

It pleases me to no end that it appears the front brake is connected to the right brake lever.

Probably photo flipping.  We will know soon enough :p.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
10/16/23 9:52 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I think Nukeproof is a European brand and they run the levers reversed vs us. That said, I'd be surprised if they shipped something contrary to our standard, right is rear.

Which model did you pick up?

10/16/23 10:25 p.m.
Brotus7 said:
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I think Nukeproof is a European brand and they run the levers reversed vs us. That said, I'd be surprised if they shipped something contrary to our standard, right is rear.

Which model did you pick up?

Digger RS.  I was really looking at the big brands but even with hood components you get pretty awful in house wheels.  I looked all the usual suspects, and to get a quality 1x11, 2x10, hydraulic brakes, a flared handlebar, carbon fork on metal frame it was going to be pricey to need new wheels.  

The Digger RS comes with decent DT Swiss wheels, Apex 1x11, Apex hydraulic brakes, an Apex crank (many big brands go in house or cheap crank set), etc.  I think the Digger even has an Easton bar.  I like Zipp aluminum bars too.  I like aluminum or steel bikes.  I will probably never own another carbon bike.  If I go nuts, I see Ti in my future before carbon.

I'm thinking this bike will be like a dog that sees squirrels.  I can ideally use it to ride anything I want kind of like my old Chevy Colorado Z71 and roads.  It can probably go anywhere I'm capable of riding,  I'm not ever going to be a rock crawler type rider, double black diamond descender or win a cyclocross race.  I might just show up at the start and have a lot of fun though. 

I will add Shimano hybrid pedals and my Brooks saddle.  Now I just need new mountain bike shoes that can be walked in too for tye Shimano spd cleats.

GameboyRMH
10/29/23 8:32 p.m.

Probably the last (outdoor) ride of the year unless some lucky freak weather strikes:

Also took it off some healthy drops and confirmed there's still no bottoming at the new lower air spring pressures. I could probably go a little lower on both ends if needed.

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
10/30/23 11:13 a.m.

Here in Florida the good weather riding season is just starting so I am working on planning some day trip rides around the central Florida area. Top of my list is Santos and Alafia State Park. Does anyone else have some places I should check out in Central Florida? 

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD New Reader
10/30/23 1:32 p.m.
ChrisTropea said:

Here in Florida the good weather riding season is just starting so I am working on planning some day trip rides around the central Florida area. Top of my list is Santos and Alafia State Park. Does anyone else have some places I should check out in Central Florida? 

Balm Boyette.  It's like a two mile ride out to the trails from the parking area but sooooo worth it.  Not too far from Alafia so you could realistically do both in the same day.

ChrisTropea
10/30/23 4:10 p.m.

In reply to RonnieFnD :

Thanks! I have heard a little bit about Balm but that would make the drive across the state a little more worth it. 

ChrisTropea
11/10/23 10:51 a.m.

Just did a lap of Mala Compra in Palm Coast FL. It is my first time here and so far it's been a good Florida trail with some flow and tech features. 

GameboyRMH
11/14/23 8:31 p.m.

Heads up, these thermoplastic (Tubolito-style) inner tubes can be had for under $20 a pair. Just installed them in my urban wheelset and the difference in weight is like going from tubed to tubeless. They're harder to puncture than traditional tubes too:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005691513620.html

11/14/23 10:19 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

How do these hold air compared to latex and butyl?  Rubber tubes I need to inflate every three rides or so (or weekly).  Latex you need to inflate right before riding.  

GameboyRMH
11/15/23 11:36 a.m.

Pressure loss should be similar to a butyl tube.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
11/17/23 11:34 a.m.

Just found this ancient pic, wish I still owned this one

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
11/17/23 11:43 a.m.
chandler said:

I wish you still had it too lol.  I'm lucky enough to still have my first two cool "at least to me" bikes.  I have a construction worker orange with white and black splatter paint GT performer that I got probably around fifth grade and I have the PK Ripper that was my first serious race bike from the early 90's.  I'll dig them out tonight for some pics.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
11/17/23 11:49 a.m.

I moved up north for work and was turned on to the wonderful world of downhill mountain biking and the gravity east race series.   I do miss that.  I was mainly in it for the jumps being a BMX guy and never did great with the races but they were fun.  This pic is from Launch Bike Park in Spring Mountain PA, this was the every weekend spot.  Very grassroots,  run by, maintained,  and built by the riders with lift access.  It's a shame it closed but I heard there are still a group of guys keeping some of the trails rideable. 

chandler
chandler MegaDork
11/17/23 12:12 p.m.
RonnieFnD said:
chandler said:

I wish you still had it too lol.  I'm lucky enough to still have my first two cool "at least to me" bikes.  I have a construction worker orange with white and black splatter paint GT performer that I got probably around fifth grade and I have the PK Ripper that was my first serious race bike from the early 90's.  I'll dig them out tonight for some pics.

I know there was a pic on the other side of the room and it showed my Quadangle and CR20RX. Don't remember what that chrome frame on the left is but the 125r on the right is the frame that Rick rode in Domination. I bought it from Goodtimes when I lived in Davenport 

travellering
travellering Dork
11/17/23 7:39 p.m.
RonnieFnD said:

I moved up north for work and was turned on to the wonderful world of downhill mountain biking and the gravity east race series.   I do miss that.  I was mainly in it for the jumps being a BMX guy and never did great with the races but they were fun.  This pic is from Launch Bike Park in Spring Mountain PA, this was the every weekend spot.  Very grassroots,  run by, maintained,  and built by the riders with lift access.  It's a shame it closed but I heard there are still a group of guys keeping some of the trails rideable. 

Pretty badass bike hauler!

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
11/19/23 10:14 a.m.

This is about five years ago at Tampa BMX, one of my daughters first races.  She was seven years old at the time and is the one all the way on the left.  Only took her two or three race days to get her balance up to stand on the gate.  

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
11/19/23 3:46 p.m.

Ha!  I was just talking about Launch Bike Park and today while re arranging my closet I stumbled across this.

Larry was the berkeleying man.  He lived in a van and a old trailer in the woods and he ran the ski lift to take us up to the top.  I wonder what Larry is up to now?

GameboyRMH
11/19/23 6:06 p.m.

Went for a ride at the Joyride 150 indoor bike park, while my favorite new Promend saddle survived until now with totally straight rails, this finally managed to bend them somehow, this place seems to be the hardest on saddle rails for some reason. I don't even remember my butt ever hitting the seat hard this time. At this point I think I can't run my usual "good" saddle at this place, I'll either need to fit a pre-bent "beater" or maybe even a suspension saddle that might be able to deform and spring back. On a positive note the lightness of the thermoplastic tubes made a noticeable improvement and the greatly softened suspension still worked well.

GameboyRMH
1/26/24 6:17 p.m.

Nobody else has done any riding since November? I've been to Joyride 150 a few more times, I've been testing out my 11-42t cassette on the trail wheels (upshifts are a lot more troublesome than the 11-40t but the lower gears are nice, especially in mid-range) and a new Fastace 302 dropper seatpost I got as a Christmas gift that's way less trouble than the old one and has a much better 2-bolt saddle clamp mechanism. I've designated a dollar store saddle as the beater. Unfortunately this place has also claimed my accidentally-super-awsome riding pants on my first try at the intermediate jump line, I tried sandwiching the tear with iron-on patches as recommended by a local tailor but that started to let go by the end of the night...anyway here are some pics and videos:

It seems everyone else had the same idea yesterday, it was stupendously busy in there.

1 ... 20 21 22 23

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3zbdXO4KgPSSYqhKU7AmiGAE4CEzWBm4tTxHenArh7eRx9b8gzQxfNZDWoGAH9x6