paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
7/23/18 7:16 p.m.

My kids each have a subscription to a rock of the month club, and this month one of them got an intact geode.

We cracked it open (so cool!), but we don’t know what mineral is inside.  Anyone have an idea?

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
7/23/18 7:29 p.m.

If you know anyone who does tile work and might have a wet saw, you can use it to cut them cleanly in half. Once cut, you can make a second shallow slice on the bottom(once you determine how you want it to stand) and they make a great display piece. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
7/23/18 7:33 p.m.

I just sent the pictures to my niece with a geology degree. 

Edit- her response, does it leave a powder when you run your finger over it? How easily does it break?

probably sodium or calcite. 

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
7/23/18 7:33 p.m.

White calcite

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/23/18 7:34 p.m.

Shame mazdeuce is in summer vacation

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
7/23/18 7:51 p.m.

Calcite based on the rhombohedral crystals and color. If you can acratch it with your fingernail that would be another sign. 

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
7/23/18 8:47 p.m.

I didn’t think about a tile saw- duh on my part!  I’ll ask around at work tomorrow.

It does not leave a powder on my fingers at all.  My impression is the white crystals are quite hard, but brittle.  And very glittery.

This was left behind from my boys breaking up some of the bigger chunks.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
7/23/18 9:01 p.m.

About a million years ago (or twenty, same thing) I found a geode on a construction site and used a big diamond saw to cut it into bookends.  It took over an hour to cut and the finish is a bit rough, apparently the polishing or “lapping” takes a whole bunch of really special equipment.

NickD
NickD UberDork
7/24/18 7:21 a.m.

How could you do that to Geodude, you monster?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9eZpODCMxwqkG7HM8eMOW8cQbdEJBZh3cYCKYrKWcBtCWRneEQAmnjaGMHMqP51h