1 2
Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/21 5:39 p.m.

Just as the title says. Who makes your favorite soy sauce?

I've tried most of the brewed grocery store brands. Some are better than others. None are spectacular. They taste like salt with a hint of salt. 

I've done a little digging and there are several artisan brands out of Japan. They all claim to be the best, but many of them are surprisingly expensive so I thought I would get some input from the Hive. 

I have tried this one. Yamaroku 4 Years Aged. It is very tasty. It has a 3-dimensional taste. Yes salt, but with undertones. 

This one is also supposed to be very good but it is $45 a bottle. FUEKI SAISHIKOMI SHOYU - Pure Artisan double-brewed Japanese Soy Sauce

So, tell me who makes your favorite soy sauce and why you like it. 

Thanks

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/21 5:59 p.m.

Says #1 right on the label.

I got that at my local Korean market. Go into one of the larger Asian markets and ask them what their mom uses. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/21 6:15 p.m.

I'm boring so I just grab low sodium Kikkomen for myself. I may take Stampie's advice next time I'm out.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/14/21 6:29 p.m.

The internet 20 years ago has the answer...

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
4/14/21 6:37 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

My daughters Korean so we visit our local Korean store; H Mart.  

The ramen, soy sauce, rice paper, and kimchi aisle have so many choices it's overwhelming.  She likes good old Kikkoman.  

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/21 6:48 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Last time I was in I grabbed some Bacchus.  Just wish I could find some real Korean Soju to mix with it.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/14/21 7:02 p.m.

We're big fans of San-J Tamari, in either organic or regular. They also might have a low sodium type but it's harder to find.

I prefer that brand because it is 100% soy rather than soy and wheat.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
4/14/21 7:12 p.m.

Just remember, soy sauce ages and loses flavor once it has been opened.  I buy the smallest thing of it I can get away with

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
4/14/21 7:15 p.m.

I came here just to post the kikkoman song. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks of obscure soy sauce songs around here. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/14/21 7:22 p.m.

sweet soy is my favorite. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
4/14/21 7:26 p.m.

Can't do soy in my house. Give Coconut Aminos a try instead of soy sauce. I love it so much I wish that's what soy sauce tasted like.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/14/21 9:16 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

That. Was. Excellent. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/14/21 9:18 p.m.
Duke said:

We're big fans of San-J Tamari, in either organic or regular. They also might have a low sodium type but it's harder to find.

I prefer that brand because it is 100% soy rather than soy and wheat.

Yes!  San-J wheat-free Tamari.  It's the only soy sauce I buy.  It's also made just a few miles from here.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/21 10:06 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I'm running it loop on my busses computer in his office. I'm in the shop. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/15/21 5:46 a.m.

LOL, I blame a lot of time wasted on Albinoblacksheep in the early Naught-ies. 

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/15/21 7:06 a.m.

Oddly I've always found the little packets always taste better than out of the bottle

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
4/15/21 10:04 p.m.

I have grown up with understanding that there is not A soy sauce but a collection of soy sauces that all have different uses. 

Chinese soy sauce for fried rice would be pearl river bridge. I use both their light soy and their mushroom soy.

I also recommend lee kum kee brand

Kikkoman is great for marinades and for onigiri fillings. I usually use it to build my dumpling dipping sauce.

Tamari I use tiny drops on sushi.

I have used a soy from the Philippines but can't remember the name a rather unusual taste but it works to build some specific sauces. 

I don't drink beer it all tastes the same and that is bad. But I know people talk about all the nuance between this or that bottle. That is how I am with soy sauce. I can tell when someone used a Chinese vs Japanese vs Thai soy. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
4/15/21 10:14 p.m.

Asian markets were the best for sauces and spices. We used to shop the Pgh Strip District most every Saturday, but that was years and years ago. Kikkoman is carried in local grocery stores here w/ several other brands of asian sauces plus the store branded stuff. 

I love Asian markets.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/21 11:34 p.m.

Silver Swan is what my wife said is most like what her family used back in Cebu. . Since she is Asian I tend to defer to her on these things. 

CJ (FS)
CJ (FS) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/16/21 12:12 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm boring so I just grab low sodium Kikkomen for myself. I may take Stampie's advice next time I'm out.

You know, the problem with that low sodium stuff?  It tastes like there's no salt in it. 

devil

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
4/16/21 10:43 a.m.
dean1484 said:

Silver Swan is what my wife said is most like what her family used back in Cebu. . Since she is Asian I tend to defer to her on these things. 

Dean thanks. That might be the brand. That plus DatuPuti vinegar and some seasoning leads to many different sauces. 

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/16/21 10:50 a.m.

I was born and raised on Kikkoman (My paternal Grandmother is Japanese).  Most of the teriyaki joints where I'm from use it, and most of the Japanese food places as well. 

I cant think of another soy sauce that I like...

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
4/17/21 12:59 a.m.

Primal Kitchen No Soy Teriyaki Sauce. I can't stand drinking liquid salt.

jb229
jb229 New Reader
4/17/21 2:39 a.m.

In reply to Advan046 :

Hah, I was wondering if Pearl River Bridge was more of a generic one or actually a known brand, I use the light from them from the local asian foods store and another brand for dark soy which has no english labeling except that it's dark soy.  Going to different varieties really upped my marinade game.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/21 5:06 p.m.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EHCZ5PsfjxudptYsdIOBy4C1V9aeNa6Z4oTD0F629iaqwdjJM2MIgDVco1bIejFv