Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
4/13/23 11:26 a.m.

I have an '06 Chrysler Town and Country as my winter beater and occasional stuff-hauler. Also our usual vehicle when taking trips lasting more than one night. 165k miles. Lots of rust. A/C won't hold a charge. Driver's window track is messed up.

It has significant issues that would cost >$2,000 to fix, and that I wouldn't want to do myself - transmission fluid change and seal replacement, and front struts so rusted through the spring is ready to pop through the hood.

Debating whether to have the repairs done or not. If the car is worth it.

Need to discuss with my wife, but I'm leaning heavily in favor of buying a newer car that can serve as a winter car for me and a road trip vehicle for us. We have cash on hand we could buy a new car.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/13/23 11:28 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Enablement unlocked. Move on.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/13/23 11:31 a.m.

Guaranteed the rust you can't see is worse than the rust you can.  I normally keep a car until the wheels fall off.  Even though the market is crazy right now i'd look for a replacement before something else breaks and forces your hand.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/13/23 11:35 a.m.

I faced a similar situation back in 2018 when my '08 GC was starting to have similar failures at 230K miles.  Ended up with a 2017 GC GT w/ 25K miles for a decent price from co-worker's brother who happens to own a Dodge dealership.  That van now has 115K and is mostly still good (sporadic EVAP code; driver's heated seat stopped working).  I'll run this one until it starts giving my issues and then I'll find a used Pacifica.  This van is a tool that I need to work, not work on. 

I'm ok with doing normal maintenance on it, but these days I have limited energy for major car wrenching and I would prefer to save that for my fun cars.  I like my van but I have no attachment to it and once the van becomes needy, it's gone.  Fortunately, I'm in a financial position that replacement isn't a problem. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/13/23 11:40 a.m.

Sadly,  with the rust situation I think it's time to move on. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
4/13/23 11:42 a.m.

With those miles and what sounds like terminal rust I'd start looking for it's replacement.

ToManyProjects
ToManyProjects New Reader
4/13/23 12:02 p.m.

Rust is the destroyer of all things good. No matter what else you do to the thing, it'll still be a rustbucket. Replace it.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/13/23 1:04 p.m.

I 7th the vote that it's time to move on.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
4/13/23 1:07 p.m.

Fourth Gen Chrysler minivans seem to rust really bad for a car made in the 2000s.  I'm in the same camp as the others, probably better to get something else.  

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/13/23 1:14 p.m.

Move on from the rust.  If you want a beater wagon I can sell you my '04 E320 for the price you were spending on repairs. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/13/23 1:32 p.m.
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:

Guaranteed the rust you can't see is worse than the rust you can.

This.  Sell, donate, or junk.

BoulderG
BoulderG Reader
4/13/23 1:44 p.m.

Very curious to see what ends up as a functional replacement! Good luck with your unanimously approved new vehicle.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
4/13/23 3:45 p.m.

Hrm...

We need a road trip vehicle, a light-hauling vehicle, and a winter car for me instead of the S2000.

Instead of a $30k minivan to serve all these roles, I realized the correct answer: Replace the wife's RX-8 with a nice $20k-ish car that can do road-trip duty. Then get another minivan for ~$10k for light hauling and winter beater.

I just need to sell her on that plan.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/23 3:53 p.m.

What you want is the sports car of minivans: the Sienna SE. The steering and suspension are in a different league from other vans and make it enjoyable to drive on long trips and back roads. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
4/13/23 7:40 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

This is useful information.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/23 7:53 p.m.

This is the perfect "punt to a college student who knows how to fix it" scenario.  They need a cheap ride to haul their junk, you need a small wad of cash in your pocket to put towards a new van.

I will also echo Pinchvalve's thoughts on the Sienna.  My former in-laws owned three and they were just lovely bits of kit.  I swear they must lease for cheap because they always had a wide selection of off-lease Siennas to choose from when they bought.  Only potential pitfall... do they carry the Toyota Tax?  I know if you're shopping for a Taco you can expect to pay double for the same mileage, or accept double the mileage for the same price.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HNaXlymaR0NecdysI4P4w9In3a4HNI8PlwrYhjq3jVNGIiEvOoazAEi6c0u47YpP