1 2 3
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/25/24 7:01 p.m.

Just got home from work.

I'm insuring that my power stays on by running the generator for a 15 minute trial run.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/25/24 7:04 p.m.
Purple Frog said:

Jim is down the road from my shop in Tallahassee.  Not a good sign.

Bail. If cantore is there you don't wanna be. They close waffle house?

Purple Frog
Purple Frog GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/25/24 8:41 p.m.

Waffle House still open... but 24 hours from now?

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
9/25/24 9:00 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Really? We've seen pretty much nothing here in Melbourne yet. We should get some outer band action overnight.

My daughter is on her way here from FSU Tallahassee due to a mandatory evacuation order.

She just called to say her ABS warning light came on, probably from a sensor failure.

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/25/24 9:27 p.m.

Jim Cantore is in New Port Richey. Pasco county. 

this one is deceptive because the models were in such close agreement that it looked narrow but it's a biggun. 

Monday customer in OH asked me to visit this week. I said travel Wednesday and Thursday visit sounds perfect. Hence, eating dinner in Springfield, OH. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/25/24 9:40 p.m.

In reply to glueguy (Forum Supporter) :

There's probably a joke in there about what you're eating in Springfield, OH

...but this is probably not the place for that joke

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
9/25/24 9:55 p.m.

They said Duke has 8000 workers ready and they showed a ton of service trucks in lines.  

I'd love to know how they feed and compensate these workers.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/25/24 10:23 p.m.

In reply to Datsun240ZGuy :

Depends if they're contractors or employees but it's basically 24/7 overtime. They get put up where there is room. Sometimes that's the ritz, sometimes a no name motel. What they eat depends on the situation, but they all have coolers with them with food and water, but usually eat at a Waffle House or similar or just go to the grocery, assuming they're open.

Source: my uncle who is a retired Lineman from Duke and his son, who is currently a lineman (contractor) and is on his way to Florida right now.  

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/25/24 10:47 p.m.

We're in Dunedin, west of Tampa. Sitting about 2.5 miles from the water, but thankfully at one of the highest elevations in the  area.
Prepped for wind and rain which involved getting the Kawasaki 17hp v-twin in my Toro z-master to stop hemorrhaging oil. It's been getting worse the minute last few mows. I diagnosed that one of the engine crankcase bolts was loose and it was coming out between the two halves of the crankcase. It took some unique box end wrench and long screwdriver lever arm to get it to turn and tighten, but I think I got it. To do it proper means pulling the engine. No time for that right now.

I added a hitch ball to the mower years ago. With a zero turn you can get a trailer exactly where you want it. I neede to get it behind my house to clean up all the construction mess my contractor left behind from our house remodel. Technically he's not done so there was still hope. He'll finish when he needs the balance paid for the job.

i look at it this way. It motivated me to get back on the shop and wrench on something which I haven't done for awhile. My body hasn't been up to the task and I've lost confidence in my ability to wrench. Hopefully this will motivate me to spend more time in the shop wrenching, straightening, and purging. So much unicorn E36 M3 I need to try and find a home for...

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/25/24 10:58 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to glueguy (Forum Supporter) :

There's probably a joke in there about what you're eating in Springfield, OH

...but this is probably not the place for that joke

I just went from one type of storm to another type LOL. 

Springfield seemed pretty calm at 9:30 PM :-)

glueguy (Forum Supporter) said:

Jim Cantore is in New Port Richey. Pasco county. 

this one is deceptive because the models were in such close agreement that it looked narrow but it's a biggun. 

Monday customer in OH asked me to visit this week. I said travel Wednesday and Thursday visit sounds perfect. Hence, eating dinner in Springfield, OH. 

The GF and I lived in New Port Richey before moving to New Mexico earlier this year.

We were a block east of US-19, about a half mile from the coast. Our house was 3ft above sea level which was in Evac Zone A. We had a couple of extremely close calls; Hurricane Idalia in 2023 and Hurricane Ian in 2022.

Idalia was foretasted to have 9+ feet of storm surge where we were at but thankfully turned and we didn't get any of the storm surge. The west side of US-19 between the highway and coast flooded and people had to be rescued. I was fully expecting our house to be flooded by storm surge so we put everything up off the floor and shut the power off before evacuating. We didn't receive any damage.

Ian turned east and hit Ft. Meyers. I was still living in Riverview at the time, which wasn't in a flood zone. I took my GF's cats as she was a Pasco county employee and had to work the evac shelters. My house suffered minor roof damage from the winds. Her house was undamaged.

After that, we felt like we had used up all of our luck and decided that it was time to leave Florida.

Please be safe down there! All of you are in my thoughts.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/26/24 6:40 a.m.

Its very calm right now, too calm. No rain. 

I expect the wind/rain to pick up soon. No school so I get to stay home. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/26/24 7:51 a.m.

Still quiet here in Ormond. 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/26/24 8:05 a.m.

Lots of rain here in Maryland.

We needed it anyway.

Just not all at once.

Hoppps
Hoppps Reader
9/26/24 8:07 a.m.

I'm just south of Macon, GA. Yesterday they said it would be a cat 1 hurricane when it gets here around 2-4am. it's Georgia, so of course we're not prepared for this...remember snowpacalypse?

Our favorite beach, Cape San Blas, is about to get pummeled. Cat 4 with the eye either on it or a couple miles east of it.

Hope everyone stays safe!

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/26/24 8:09 a.m.

can y'all please keep that down south where it belongs?

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
9/26/24 8:26 a.m.
J.A. Ackley said:

Hey, what are you guys doing down in Florida sending this stuff to Tennessee?! We do need the rain, though. We've been in a drought and started having some significant forest fires. Thanks, but send in smaller, more frequent doses instead. laugh

Southern Ohio has been in a serious drought, and a long string of high 80s low 90s, it finally rained a day or two ago.  They say we're getting these remnants Friday I think, and probably through the weekend.

I did my hurricane Disney visit November 2022, that was fun.  And two different friends recently moved to FL and were going on and on about giving us E36 M3 for blizzards and "have fun with that".  I still hope they're both ok.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
9/26/24 9:00 a.m.

The rain and scary-ish looking skies I mentioned in my earlier post stopped just about the time I clicked Post lol. How Florida of you, rain.  
The overnight was fine. This morning was rainy and windy, but not terribly out of the ordinary. The radar looksl ike the storm broke up a bit?

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/26/24 9:00 a.m.

It's seriously dark and pouring here in Atlanta.  I went in the office where I'm sure the power will go out and yet if I worked from home, the power would have gone out there. Even up here we're supposed to be 50 MPH wind and 6-8 inches of rain.  Lame.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/26/24 9:55 a.m.

Just poked my head outside. Birds are still birding. I heard ice in a glass in the kitchen and asked if if it was maybe too early to start that even though it's a hurricane. It was iced coffee. Mad I didn't buy propane before all this kicked off because I'm sure everyone is out and I wanna play with my weed burner as long as everything is going to be wet. 

Paris Van Gorder
Paris Van Gorder Associate editor
9/26/24 10:13 a.m.
Mndsm said:

I miss my cable. Anyone know where Jim cantore is?

Last I heard he is in Tampa right now

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/26/24 10:17 a.m.

Just some light rain so far here in the Atlanta northern suburbs. 2" or so since yesterday. All the wind is coming tonight, so we put away all patio furniture and yard car parts into the shed. Even found space in the garage for SWMBO's new car now that the Rice Rod is gone :)

Purple Frog
Purple Frog GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/26/24 10:43 a.m.

Jim was broadcasting in Tallahassee at 9 am.  Looks like he is moving east towards Steinhachie.

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
9/26/24 10:47 a.m.

If you were looking for a sign to evacuate, here it is.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/26/24 11:10 a.m.
slefain said:

If you were looking for a sign to evacuate, here it is.

It's armageddon!! Run for the hills!!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I14p01F2oo3mKib1J3ZwnOjvVPbWxE8Jow3E7jM9WUuQnfcCilsdTrzNjyElXgvG