1 2 3
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/15/15 2:11 p.m.

As many of you know, I've had a severely rough 2015 (for those that don't, I had to give up the rescue pit, my house, got a divorce, and was laid off from my job last month).

Thankfully, I found a contract gig pretty quickly so I haven't had to touch my severance from my last job. So I'm thinking you know what? berkeley it. I deserve to go on a trip I've always wanted to, so I think I'm going to do it.

However, even though I have a few places in mind, I'd like to here what you folks would like to do!

nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
8/15/15 2:13 p.m.

Good for you, I've always wanted to see alaska.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/15/15 2:17 p.m.

I think India would be pretty cool.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/15/15 2:20 p.m.

Alaska, is definitely up there. EDIT: E36 M3 I totally forgot about India, that would be amazing as well.

But I'm thinking something that gets me another stamp(s) on the passport (currently only Caribbean countries for resort trips with the ex).

Currently tops on my list (and I really do want to hear what you kids would do) would be go to Europe and spend time in Italy and then Germany (and obviously spend many Euros lapping the ring).........or the other is to visit Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka in Japan...............or go visit some buddies in Australia/New Zealand.

As you can see I'm willing to drop some coin on this trip, I figure I'm in the position to be able to do it, might as well do it while I can right?

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
8/15/15 2:35 p.m.

Alaska, drive or rent an RV and tour it end to end w/ no time constraints. Sights are only half the awesome experience, meet the folks in the small towns or living off the grid... they're the real berkeleying deal. On my bucket list.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/15 2:35 p.m.

Denali National Park, Alaska, with a tent, a kayak and a 4X4.

New Zealand, I find that entire country to be beautiful.

Halong Bay, Vietnam. There are cruises available that would be cool.

Iceland or Greenland. Preferably with a tent and a 4X4.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/15 2:40 p.m.

Alaska, Hawaii or Australia.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
8/15/15 2:41 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Halong Bay, Vietnam. There are cruises available that would be cool.

This, with accompanying TG Vietnam Special motorcycle journey first.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
8/15/15 2:45 p.m.

What Datsun1500 said.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
8/15/15 2:45 p.m.

So many to do.

If I hadn't already done a variation on this already, I'd say Austria/Western Germany/Belgium. Just chill in Vienna for a bit to decompress and enjoy the food, beer and scenery; then a day or two at the Nurburgring; finally beer crawling through portions of Belgium.

New Zealand is up there. So is Ireland.

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
8/15/15 2:48 p.m.

I've traveled a fair bit, especially in Europe, but I'd still head there for another vacation, particularly one on which I was spending a fair bit of money. A few years ago I was lucky enough to cross the Atlantic on the Queen Mary 2 - totally sold me on that as a much more pleasant alternative to flying for getting to/from Europe. Once there, I've got a few things in mind: Switzerland by rail, utilizing all the small rail lines that crisscross the country and the Alps; Scandinavia by ship - always wanted to see the Baltic, and most of the biggest cities in Scandinavia are along the coast; Istanbul, although now is probably not the best time to visit, given the neighborhood and general political climate in Turkey; south of France, and possibly Corsica and/or Sardinia, or maybe even Sicily or Malta.

No matter where you go, if it's a new destination, there will be a temptation to try to see everything. Personally, I suggest spending more time in fewer places and really getting to know them rather than just getting a quick look and moving on. What sort of time frame are you thinking about for your trip?

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
8/15/15 2:54 p.m.

Iceland. Volcanoes and the hottest women on earth.

/thread

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
8/15/15 2:57 p.m.

I would leave Chicago and head into Minnesota and enter Canada and cross Canada and head to Alaska. I would drive every part of Alaska I could and ideally I am camping in a basic truck/camper thing a ma jig. Maybe this? Getting the wife to go is always a challenge as she got burned out with tent camping.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/15/15 3:00 p.m.

New Zealand with a stop in Fiji.

Iceland is awesome as well, but is really an easy trip that can be a long weekend, flights are cheap there.

Anzores are awesome as well as is Portugal's mainland.

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
8/15/15 3:00 p.m.

A good euro tour is up there on the list, but I'm intrigued by Argentina. Would need a bit of research on the money/economics I think they are very happy to see US dollars, but there's cool stuff down there. Would love to visit the shops doing Bugatti and Maserati recreations (the buguatti registry accepts the recreations, they're that good).

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/15/15 3:07 p.m.

Thanks for the suggestions folks, keep them coming. I'm very willing to spend in the $5-7k range on this trip. That's why it's so hard to decide where I should go

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
8/15/15 3:21 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: Iceland. Volcanoes and the hottest women on earth. /thread

Do you mean that the women are good-looking, or that they simply got too close to the volcanoes? Pics?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/15/15 3:28 p.m.

Vietnam. Someplace in the Pacific. Guadalcanal, Bougainville, Vella lavella, Truk.

I'd probably spend most of my time exploring WWII Japanese wrecks.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
8/15/15 3:31 p.m.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/15/15 3:58 p.m.

Keep them coming, I think I've talked my dad into buying a plane ticket (if he can buy his plane ticket I'll handle the rest)...............now I've just got to him to decide where he'd like to go.

Honestly at this point, if I could get my dad to go and somewhere he's always wanted to go, I wouldn't give a E36 M3 where we went. It would be super cool to travel abroad with my pops.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
8/15/15 4:05 p.m.

How long can your severance last you as a parrot head beach bum in Puerto Rico?

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
8/15/15 4:15 p.m.

Austraila, Japan, Alaska

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/15/15 4:22 p.m.

Tokyo Japan. The cars, the food, the gaming, I've heard legends that women there adore white dudes..... I might never leave.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/15/15 6:07 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: How long can your severance last you as a parrot head beach bum in Puerto Rico?

Belize is the place to do that...

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/15/15 6:08 p.m.

Other than being an American in Russia right now, I think St. Petersburg would be a very interesting place to visit...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5ETz5qtb4PguMeYd5WkBZ2X6VQnvoc8RAx2WLkDX60S6XjFR9ATJkfmMWbn6YmVX