Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/29/22 10:22 a.m.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/539562494199214/

I know very little about Porsche but this is right around the corner from me and would be happy help if someone wants to buy. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/29/22 10:32 a.m.

I don't even own an air-cooled Porsche and I still want piece of that horde.

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/29/22 11:05 a.m.

Forwarded to a Porsche shop owner I know.  Thanks!

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
11/29/22 11:10 a.m.

Just for discussion , how would you value this complete collection ?

let's say they value it at $100,000 retail 

My  idea is that's it worth only 20-30% if you are already in the Porsche business , and that might be too much , 

You also have to pay for moving it , storing  it and selling it , 

I try to see what the pile of parts I can sell within 6 months to get my investment back ,  after that it's just another job , using a few parts , selling a few parts and having to pay to store all of it for  years.

We have the same problem now with a friends estate of vintage stoves sales and repair from the 1950s-60s ,  large value if you sold everything piece by piece , but  that's a full time job which  no one wants !

what would your number be ?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/29/22 11:14 a.m.

Seems a weird niche to only sell Porsches with air conditioning.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/29/22 11:30 a.m.
PMRacing said:

Forwarded to a Porsche shop owner I know.  Thanks!

Same.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/30/22 11:00 a.m.

I am very curious as to the value. I am doing something similar for a horde of parts for another brand but similar in overall value at retail prices, but digging through 20 years of old inventory and boxes and stuff is serious work. At least this looks to be really nicely organized, my "stash" is less so nice.

thewheelman
thewheelman Reader
11/30/22 12:32 p.m.

Looks like something the guys from https://unobtanium-inc.com/ would jump on. 

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/30/22 12:56 p.m.

Yes, someone with far deeper pockets than I can even imagine having will likely be all over this for sure!

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
11/30/22 3:52 p.m.

This may hurt a little.

My kids friends parents just bought an adjacent property that included a barn.  The previous owner was the only Porsche Audi  VW mechanic in the area back in the 60's thru 80's.  He threw away truck loads of engine parts and other stuff.  I was cringing hard when he told me about how much he scrapped.

If you were a German car mechanic back in the day which parts would you save.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/22 4:40 p.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

I scrapped a whole truckload of acvw engines and parts a couple weeks ago because at the prices people wanted to pay for individual bits it wasn't worth the time or effort to bother listing each thing.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/2/22 3:17 p.m.

I almost bought a Mercedes Benz repair shop more than a decade ago. The couple who owned it worked on the dealership model and so kept a decent amount of inventory in stock. This let them diagnose, repair, and bill all on the same day, which their clients really valued. 

Anyway, I valued their inventory at 40% of retail, but this was probably high. If I had to do it again I'd do 40% of retail for parts that they sold at least once per year, and less for the rest. 

Super hard to value this stuff b/c of the classic porsche market. Agree that somebody like unobtainium inc is probably the best buyer.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ncsFuyml8VYdtR7MZKxO60pGrNCkj4fmaMPvgI08YVBVQf9kJrhyNZC0SeSBB0KS