1 2 3 4
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/12/13 11:08 p.m.

Alignment adjustments are made with weight on the suspension, cornerweights are usually adjusted unweighted.

Noddaz, nothing is locking the wheels. You'd have to lift the car up in order to rotate the car on the stands, they can't just "trip" from you pulling on an alignment bolt. As you pointed out, ball transfers do roll easily and the car would much rather roll on them than try to spin a hub that's bolted to a triangulated stand. It's a lot less dodgy than the process of putting a car up on jackstands, actually - the side loads in that situation are much bigger.

If you're really worried and you have a FWD car, then just put it in gear and pull the handbrake.

However, due to the possibility of the car "tripping" with some momentum behind it, we don't recommend using them to move a car around the shop unless you have someone inside with their foot on the brake. I've tried this, it works on our smooth concrete.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
2/12/13 11:16 p.m.

I'm just glad we rolled to the next page. Anyone else have funky formatting on page two?

4x114.3 makes this about a 90%er in my not far off future. That's awesome.

Is 4x108 (I think that's what it is. 4x4.25") likely to happen? My '72 Capri will get back on the road this year.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
2/13/13 6:45 a.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: I'm just glad we rolled to the next page. Anyone else have funky formatting on page two?

yeah, it seems to happen occasionally ...

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
2/13/13 8:30 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Alignment adjustments are made with weight on the suspension, cornerweights are usually adjusted unweighted.

I could see how toe adjustments could be done wieghted, but camber?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/13/13 8:41 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: Alignment adjustments are made with weight on the suspension, cornerweights are usually adjusted unweighted.
I could see how toe adjustments could be done wieghted, but camber?

Anything that moves under load should be adjusted with the approximate weight of the static load in place. Even on strut type suspensions there is slight camber, caster and toe change as a result of travel. That said, I have cheated this on my race car because the springs are so stiff it only compresses a 10th driver's front when I drop in so... I don't always grab a helper because I know it doesn't matter much.

I corner weight the car with me in it, sways unhooked, water in the cool suit chest, half a tank of fuel. I am the single largest dynamic factor in vehicle weight distribution so I tune everything to include my largess. It is really amazing to see how much difference just moving the seat back a click makes when you are relocating 190lbs.

Keith Tanner
2/13/13 9:12 a.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: I'm just glad we rolled to the next page. Anyone else have funky formatting on page two? 4x114.3 makes this about a 90%er in my not far off future. That's awesome. Is 4x108 (I think that's what it is. 4x4.25") likely to happen? My '72 Capri *will* get back on the road this year.

All 4-bolt patterns that fall between 4x95 and 4x130 are covered. So, yes. 4x108.

All 5-bolt patterns that fall between 5x100 and 5x130 are covered.

We're using slots in the new plates.

90% of my experience is with Miatas, and on those you adjust every alignment setting weighted. It's possible that some other suspension systems need to have their suspensions unweighted in order to adjust camber, but none of my cars do. Regardless, the stands will let you do it either way.

Keith Tanner
2/28/13 12:37 p.m.

The new design is now available to order!

http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?stocknumber=35-70050

Warren v
Warren v Reader
2/28/13 1:12 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: The new design is now available to order! http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?stocknumber=35-70050

Those are sick. I love it and will probably get a set once we can afford in-house cornerweighting and setup.

I've got an idea on making production a little easier for you and the product more flexible. By putting the slots at an angle, you can accommodate every stud size. It also passively aligns the hub on the plate, too. Simply grab the studs and twist them counter-clockwise until all the studs are touching an edge. Then tighten it down with a flanged nut or nut&washer. This will decrease wear on your lugnuts, too. The slots are curved to make it easy to line it up on larger bolt patterns.

I might be overlooking something huge, but what do you think?

2/28/13 1:24 p.m.

How come they are priced individually? Who orders just 1? Or 5?

I really like this setup - a little steep price-wise for me as I've already gone bonkers on other things (bathroom renovation is farkkin 'spensive) but being able to take setup tools to the paddock and square up easily is slick.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
2/28/13 1:26 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

Price is for a pair.

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
2/28/13 1:29 p.m.

Warren - that's an awesome idea. I wonder if having that much void area would weaken the mounting surface?

Warren v
Warren v Reader
2/28/13 1:31 p.m.
nderwater wrote: Warren - that's an awesome idea. I wonder if having that much void area would weaken the mounting surface?

Shouldn't if you use a grade 8 or class 10.9 washer and/or one of these guys:

You wouldn't want to use your lugnuts on these anyways, as they are designed to seat on a conical face.

Keith Tanner
2/28/13 1:50 p.m.

Interesting idea. Although the GRM forum seems set on either trying to reproduce them for $9.95 or forcing us to constantly redesign and never actually move to production...

I can see a potential problem or two, we'll get some other eyes on it to see if they're real. The good thing is that there are very few cars with a 4-bolt pattern and 14mm studs, only some aged Audis and the newest MINIs.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
2/28/13 1:56 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Interesting idea. Although the GRM forum seems set on either trying to reproduce them for $9.95 or forcing us to constantly redesign and never actually move to production... I can see a potential problem or two, we'll get some other eyes on it.

Hah, I hear you on the GRM crowd. BTW, our laser supplier finished programming the Exocet chassis tubes and sheet metal parts yesterday. Production is imminent. FM's chassis is in the first run of production. Can't wait to see what you guys do with it!

SpeedTheory
SpeedTheory GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/28/13 2:20 p.m.

Couple questions here about them.

A. How do you ensure that the stand is set to the correct height for your wheel/tire size (to allow for correct toe / camber / ride height settings).

B. I assume you're pretty much obligated to buy four of these for consistency between sides (unless A is perfectly addressable to get the proper loaded height on the car as the same for the wheels, then you could just keep one end of the car on wheels and put the stands on the other).

SpeedTheory
SpeedTheory GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/28/13 2:44 p.m.

NVM. I'm a tard.

2/28/13 2:45 p.m.
SpeedTheory wrote: NVM. I'm a tard.

LOL.

Hint: You can delete a post on here.

Keith Tanner
3/1/13 11:33 a.m.

Just because it's fun, we've put a 3D PDF online. Whee!

(edit: removed)

3/1/13 11:41 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Just because it's fun, we've put a 3D PDF online. Whee! http://www.flyinmiata.com/pdf/HubStandComplete.pdf

Do I need special glasses to see that or something (it's blank)?

Keith Tanner
3/1/13 12:01 p.m.

You need a PDF reader that will do 3D. If you're running Firefox,the new integrated PDF reader can't hack it. Adobe Reader (free!) will do it just fine.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
3/1/13 7:58 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Just because it's fun, we've put a 3D PDF online. Whee! http://www.flyinmiata.com/pdf/HubStandComplete.pdf

Thanks for the engineering data, Exomotive will soon be selling a competing product for $3 less.

I would think about that 3D PDF, or else we'll have 20 choices of poorly-made crooked copies from China one month from now.

Really solid design, guys. Looks like the cheapest way to make it without sacrificing quality. The lowest cost I've seen for other options is DOUBLE what you guys are charging.

Keith Tanner
3/4/13 9:58 a.m.

I didn't know that 3D pdfs could be reverse engineered So it's gone. If you want to reverse engineer a set of these, you'll have to buy at least one and bust out the calipers!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/6/13 2:00 p.m.

I could use a set of 5 lug ones that could work with both my Porsche and my mustang..

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
3/6/13 3:26 p.m.

I need to buy a set of these. Any discount for buying a set with both plates at the same time?
I think I need to see how many states demand tax money from us, but I'm getting a set.

Keith Tanner
3/6/13 4:28 p.m.

Dean - convert your Mustang to 14mm studs and you've got it.

Sorry, we don't have any discounts in place at the moment. We don't get any special prices from the manufacturer for various combinations.

While Warren's suggestion of the spiral oversized grooves is an interesting one, it's not something we're going to pursue. It would be harder to use correctly and there's too much potential for the stands to slip a bit when you drop it onto the wheels, which would mess up corner weighting. Supplying nuts to replace the lug nuts is, I believe, already happening although with the tight fit of the current slots that's not really an issue anyhow.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eVBO0hpilLIHY5jXAGj7IwaHsLKPZBqm9y9I48HX27C4vAUy6T1kpQhKEj5nkCcw