Box4VIR
Box4VIR GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/20/22 7:01 a.m.

I am trying to piece together a brake setup for my twin turbo V8 Boxster build.  I want to 17" rims so the brake size is limited.  I picked up some awesome Alcon nascar calipers that I'd like to run with a floating rotor setup to keep the heat away from the bearings.  I'd like to run a 996/997 used rotor hats and then buy rotors that fit my application separately but I can 't figure out what the rotor hat "bolt pattern" is to then go and find a rotor that will work.  I've tried to do some research on this but I can find any reference to how these rotor hats and rotors are sized from an assembly standpoint. What should I be looking for?  Is there terminology for the bolt pattern that will unlock this  

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/20/22 7:40 a.m.

The bolt pattern is generally noted as the number of holes x the diameter of the bolt circle (distance center to center across the pattern). Something like 8*7.0 would be 8 holes at 7" diameter. The size of the holes themselves is not usually noted.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/20/22 8:08 a.m.

Do you have the hats? Measuring them should be quick with the right tools, take them to any machine shop and ask them to help you out.

If you are close to south Florida I could measure them for you.

Also some of these rotors are slotted to allow for expansion. The ones on my S2000 are like that.

Box4VIR
Box4VIR GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/20/22 1:22 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

I don't have the hats yet.  I want to make sure I get the right ones.  I'm hoping that there are some generic hat "bolt patterns".  Doesn't seem like it though

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/22 1:29 p.m.

There are certainly some common patterns. Go to Wilwood's site and you can search by diameter, pattern, thickness, etc. I'd check to see what range of rotor diameters that caliper can accept too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iYZSiJtuS0sSk6DR4NZ9wk5usklhJYDvRI6Bi8KqRG2p24V5iy1Mct2f14Nopu6b