NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/28/24 9:46 a.m.

I can not find anyone to re-build a 1955 cast iron power glide. If anybody knows someone, please let me know. East of the Mississippi would be nice but at this point, I'm getting desperate.

This Chevrolet 210 belongs to a good friend and was bought new by his grandfather. I took it apart a put it back together. We had the engine and TRANSMISSION rebuilt and the paint done by pros. The trans. re-builder has since retired. angry

Turns out the trans re-build was botched and didn't come to my attention right away as several months went by before the car was ready for the road.

I've gotten a lot of "Check with ol' so and so, he used to work on them thangs"  I've checked with 4 or 5 old so and so's and the best I can get is : I'll do it. Let me get whatever, blah blah blah out of the way and I'll call. Months ago.

I've learned that cast iron power glides weigh 250 lbs., They are not the same as aluminum power glides, just because someone has built 100 drag racing power glides doesn't mean they know anything about the old ones. And, apparently, the bell housing is different, so I can't order one from Summit.

Please help.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
3/28/24 9:52 a.m.

There's a Corvette restoration place nearby that might do it but that's far from Tennessee.  They do all work so they should know this transmission.

https://dmcorvette.com/contact/

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/28/24 10:01 a.m.

TunaDad would, but he can be a challenge to work with. He is in Syracuse, NY.

3/28/24 10:02 a.m.

In reply to Datsun240ZGuy :

Thanks! I'll check them out.

3/28/24 7:39 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Wish he were closer!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/28/24 9:42 p.m.
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to tuna55 :

Wish he were closer!

Yeah sorry! It's still an option if you need. 

I recommend you ask your question on the AACA forum, and specify your general location.

A well known parts provider for old automatics is Fatsco.  Perhaps give them a call and see if they know a shop in your area that buys enough parts from them that the shop might actually take the work.

Also, powerglides have a reputation for being simple to build, as automatics go, so maybe you could do it. Get the parts and manuals and give it a try.

3/30/24 2:43 p.m.

Thanks for the tip. Will do. I've asked on the Tri Five forum as well.

In talking with my best hope who I can tell doesn't want to do it but won't say no either, there are at least 3 reasons it's blowing fluid out of the filler tube. One of which is a missing pin that he can make. He's re-built power glides all his adult life and is now retired and does a couple of regular transmissions a week at his home shop and drag races on the weekends. Most of the old experts are retired or gone.

Edit: I'm hesitant to attempt another re-build myself for several reasons, not the least of which is the lack of a lift. I put the engine and transmission back in with the front cap off.

Loren_SD
Loren_SD New Reader
4/3/24 12:24 p.m.

I have a quantity of cast-iron Powerglides I got in a deal, at-least one was said to be re-built, all have been outside for a while.  Trouble is, I'm in San Diego.

4/4/24 5:12 p.m.

In reply to Uncle David (Forum Supporter) :

That tip led to a name and phone number not far from me. Many thanks. My old guy who I've been trying to get to do it called out of the blue this morning. We're on for Monday the 15th.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
4/4/24 5:26 p.m.

Bellhousing bolt pattern is the same for iron and aluminum power glides. You probably can't swap one for the other because of linkage differences and physical size.

If your guy doesn't work out, there's a guy I know on the West Coast of Canada who is great with early automatics. Transmission rebuilds are his full time gig.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hskXjxIvT2VzHYGkwTGhxEythT4PulMsC42lcV0fWgxJE5ljoRA69GU5lSaa5Osb