Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
9/11/24 3:08 p.m.

Tool + battery + charger

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/11/24 3:25 p.m.

Do you have any other battery powered tools? Stick with the same family.  I have a DeWalt 890 impact because I have a ton of other Dewalts. Bare in mind, you can get adapters to link just about any tool to any battery system

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
9/11/24 3:29 p.m.

If you are already invested in a battery system with other cordless tools I would stick with that brand so you can keep one system and not deal with charging different batteries all the time. That being said I like my Ryobi 1/2" impact driver.

wae
wae UltimaDork
9/11/24 3:38 p.m.

We just did a bit of a comparison test on 1/2" electric impacts a couple months ago thanks to a Honda D16 crank bolt.  My old Craftsman C3 19.2v didn't budge it.  Cooper_tired's Ryobi was ineffective.  Eastsidetim's Kobalt grabbed that thing by the short and curlies and ugga-dugga-ed that mother out of there.

I think the Kobalt was the big 24v version that is almost 2x your price range, though.

While I get that my C3 stuff is all old stuff that nobody likes, I have had very few things to ugga-dugga that my impact couldn't do.  It always does fine with tires.  Sometimes there are rusty suspension parts that it can't quite budge, but that's fairly unusual.  Given that datapoint, I would guess that getting whatever electric impact is in your current battery family will do fine for you.  If you don't have a bunch of battery tools already, I've been absolutely thrilled with the Ryobi stuff that I've started buying recently.  They've got a couple different electric impacts that range in price and I don't think that cooper_tired has had any problems with his up until the crank bolt adventure.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
9/11/24 3:52 p.m.

I have a Makita drill using cheap Amazon replacement batteries. On its deathbed.

This is the start of a new era for me.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/11/24 4:14 p.m.

Another plus 1 for Ryobi. I have a very old set of tools (drill, sawzall, circular saw, router, and tight-space driver) that were top of the line ni-cad about 2 dozen years ago. I bought a lithium battery kit about 5 years ago when the oem batteries stopped taking/holding a charge, and they're still getting the job done. The reverse compatibility is great.

I converted the attic over the garage into a mancave with those 20+ year old tools about 2 years ago, doing everything but the drywall, and they never complained once. A Ryobi 1/2 impact is already in my letter to Santa this year

thewheelman
thewheelman Reader
9/11/24 4:29 p.m.

Another recommendation for the 1/2" Ryobi impact. The one I got for my birthday last year came with two 4Ah batteries and a charger for $179, I think. Great for zipping off lug nuts and hasn't broken a sweat with any suspension bolts or CV axle nuts yet.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
9/11/24 5:35 p.m.

I've been very pleased with the 18V Ryobi system.  I keep adding to it each year.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
9/11/24 7:20 p.m.

The older Blue Ryobi 18v tools work with the newest batteries.

Home Depot has Ryobi tools on sale all the time , and there is a Ryobi outlet store with 40-50% off.

directtoolsoutlet.com

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
10/4/24 7:01 p.m.

If you're starting from scratch, Mikwaukee seems to do a really good job of balancing price and performance.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/4/24 9:02 p.m.

Are you going for most torque, or most useful?  If I didn't need to zip off Honda crank bolts, my Milwaukee M18 Mid-Torque is just about perfect.  The new Milwaukee M12 stubby has 550 ft-lbs of torque and is tiny, so that could replace my Mid-Torque.  I break out the beast (2767-20 M18 High Torque) when I'm dealing with the fun stuff.  The high torque is heavy and cumbersome when doing small jobs, but it's fantastic when facing a challenge.

Milwaukee runs on the more expensive side, but they're great to use.  My FIL was a contractor for years and would wear out his impact/drill driver every year or so.  His Milwaukee set lasted for years and is still going strong.  I've always bought mine on some kind of ridiculous sale - my 2767-20 was $199 with a 5.0ah battery and a charger.  Patience and deal alerts (I use SlickDeals.com) are the key.

As others have said, look at the other tools in the brand/size and see what else you'll likely use.

TLDR - it all depends on your use case, and the overall system that works best for you.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/4/24 9:08 p.m.

I have porter cable battery tools. Im generally happy with them but the 1/2" impact sucked. Wouldnt break a lugnut loose then the tool died after not much use.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Dork
10/4/24 10:16 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Can confirm, my Ryobi has been solid for all I've used it for, but Tim's 24v Kobalt is definitely stronger. I had a bunch of Ryobi 18v stuff already so it was convenient as well. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/4/24 10:24 p.m.

I'm in the Ryobi ecosystem, so I have their ONE+ brushless 1/2" impact. It does a very good job with 90% of the tasks I need it for. For that last 10%, I still have air tools and breaker bars.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UberDork
10/5/24 9:20 a.m.

There is a reason everyone buys Milwaukee stuff.

Go buy Milwaukee stuff.

This with a free battery is a screaming deal.  I am sure you have a friend with a spare M18 charger - I just pitched 5 of them.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18V-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-1-2-in-Impact-Wrench-with-Friction-Ring-Tool-Only-2967-20/326201858

Thats the big boy, if you just want to do lug nuts and stuff the midtorque will do you well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-Gen-2-18V-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-Mid-Torque-1-2-in-Impact-Wrench-w-Friction-Ring-Tool-Only-2962-20/313511878

Believe it or not this little baby M12 is 550 ft/lbs and will stomp a mudhole in pretty much any cordless impact but the big M18.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-FUEL-12V-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-Stubby-3-8-in-Impact-Wrench-Tool-Only-2562-20/330184776

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/5/24 12:24 p.m.

I was looking to buy into a new platform when Milwaukee first came out with the M12/m18 systems. Didn't have the money for m18; didn't trust the m12 to do the job. I went a different way. 
I was totally wrong! I'm slowly transferring over to the m12 (m18 still out of my reach, over all) 

That m12. 3/8 stubby is awesome! And I still have the big 1/2 from last system (that and a light is all I use of it now) if I need more torque. It is surprisingly strong, but if  it's stronger than a full size 1/2 from other brands, that'd be pretty sad. 

But, sticking to the question you asked (since I actually read) I have no suggestions in the $150 range. And I don't want to suggest putting an LS in it ! surprise

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/5/24 9:38 p.m.
OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/5/24 10:09 p.m.

Maybe hold out until black Friday deals. $150 is going to be difficult for a quality tool.

I favor the Red Tools. I have the M12 stubby 1/2" and it's good but not universally good even with a very robust battery. If I had this decision to make again I'd get a M18.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/5/24 10:37 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

Well put. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NYtAR830tPNSb5FJLbyVnhOgkLIiv0kYVH8svhwQLlkGpY7VS3RAGL9VAUI5sRaV