rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/25/24 8:12 p.m.

Has anyone tried any of the wipe on clearcoats?  I have been looking at something like this kit from Poppys Patina.  Does anyone here have any experience with this?  I am trying to preserve the finish on the Riley.  I'm pretty sure the paint is original, in which case it is 70 years old.  At some point it's going to need to be repainted, but I just want to enjoy it for a year or two.  The previous owner tried to polish it out and burned through in several spots.  

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/25/24 8:45 p.m.

I haven't used it myself, yet. But it's pretty popular around this area. 

I saw two vehicles coated with it at Summit Racing yesterday. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/26/24 7:18 a.m.

Its pretty cool stuff. We tried it on my E36 with dead paint. 

prep is VERY important. A light sanding or at least some clay bar would maybe be best.  We did a prepped area and a non prepped area and the prepped came out much better. 
also it is quite shiny if you dont get the matte finish. Almost too shiny for a "ratty" look. But if you want it to look "nice", the regular non-matte is probably the way to go. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/24 8:21 a.m.

Does it berkeley up the possibility of painting the car later without stripping to bare metal? 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/26/24 8:53 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Does it berkeley up the possibility of painting the car later without stripping to bare metal? 

Fantastic question. One that I wish I had researched before I painted cars with Rust-Oleum.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/26/24 8:56 a.m.

I wouldn't say so. I haven't tried to remove it but i think some solvent and a rag would peel it right off.

rustyvw
8/26/24 9:20 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

The paint that's on it isn't great.  The previous owner polished through the paint in a few spots.  I just want to make it look good for a little while.  The top needs to be replaced, for that the windshield and back glass has to come out.  At that point, it's probably going to get a repaint.  

rustyvw
10/7/24 6:44 p.m.

Update, I tried the mineral spirits and linseed oil "shine juice" from Vice Grip Garage and I'm really impressed.  It really evens up the paint, and makes it look a lot better.  It won't trick anyone into thinking the cars been repainted, but for a few dollars and an hour in the driveway it looks amazing.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/7/24 7:28 p.m.

Looks great!

Mineral spirits and linseed oil "shine juice" works really well to bring back old faded black trim plastic like a BMW grill. I like it better than trim black paint as you can just re-coat down the road rather than having to strip off paint when it starts to fade.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1Vf6Ft4pDKeoww7bybBlCMz6N5Cp0JAjlKt5tTxlgUaoIdYZnDc0DHsHrdKDudfm