Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA UltraDork
9/11/24 12:58 a.m.

Hwy Everybody,

I'm starting from scratch with ratchet wrenches so I'm looking for sets in both metric and standard.  While mulling over which lucky cheap(er)-but-good tool company gets my hard-earned ducats, I'm avoiding mainland Chinese products if possible.  At this point, I'm really debating whether I should run with fixed-head or flex-head wrenches.  I don't see myself with both unless someone presents a bulletproof argument.

Are they even worth it?

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/24 7:20 a.m.

Gearwrench flex heads are probably the most used tools in my garage. Just don't back a fastener off too far in a tight space and get the wrench trapped in there because the only way to reverse it is to flip the tool over. 

Absolutely worth it. 

I also have some non-flexy ones, but those never get used. 

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
9/11/24 11:47 a.m.

I have a couple double end, non-flex, Snap On wrenches that cover 8-11mm. I bought them thinking they would be handy to have. Nah, they are straight, no offset like a box end wrench has. Just about useless. I've tried to put them to use many times and end up with a socket or end wrench. 

Flex end all the way if I was buying some now.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
9/11/24 11:59 a.m.

What's the availability of such wrenches that are non-Snap-On that are good quality?  I've been eyeing this same sort of wrench set as my next garage purchase and was considering some Gearwrench double-box flex head ratcheting wrenches but wanted to make sure I was considering the right options.  Really only care about getting a metric set since about 95% of what I do is metric.

EDIT:  I just remembered there's a Project Farm video on these things that might be useful.  Not saying he's always 100% on the mark in every regard but I'd still put some value in his evaluations.

eedavis
eedavis GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/11/24 12:21 p.m.

IF you're seriously considering non-flex reversibles, Williams have a Made in USA line. They have a 15* angle on the box/ratchet end like normal combination wrenches. I really like the shape of these in hand, and have been toying with switching to the comparable non-ratcheting combination wrenches too. as I understand it Williams is somewhere in the Snap On food chain and make various lines for Snap and Blue Point.

https://protoolwarehouse.com/10-19mm-williams-reversible-combination-ratcheting-wrench-set-10-pcs-mws-10rcu/

They also hve a made in Taiwan line that costs half and/but they have a different shaft profile. I don't like the shape of these nearly as much.

https://protoolwarehouse.com/8-19mm-williams-ratcheting-combination-wrench-set-12-pcs-mws-12rc/

For flex-heads, I like the Gearwrench non-reversibles for the money. HF/Icon don't seem as nice and cost more I think. THe Williams flex version are all reversible (I think) and that doesnt seem as useful to me on the reasoning that the heads are much bigger than the GW on-reversible style and therefore they won't fit a lot of places the GW style will.

I've had a set of GW straight/non-flex/non-reversibles the longest, I never use them. Too bad. It's a full no-skips set. Ah well, they seemed cheaper at the time.

Trent
Trent UltimaDork
9/11/24 12:33 p.m.

On the flipside, I got rid of all my flexhead and non reversible ratcheting wrenches because I never used them. I use offset reversible type exclusively. 

My very first set of ratcheting wrenches was the Pittsburg non reversible set way back when HF first introduced them. The VERY FIRST TIME I used one I backed the bolt out enough that it trapped the wrench and I had to cut my new wrench out with an angle grinder.  That might explain my aversion to that style.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
9/11/24 12:51 p.m.

I'm a huge fan of the "Mountain Wrench" style of spline drive double box end flex head ratcheting wrenches with the push button to change direction under the box. I've found the lever style a bit weak (because I'm an impatient gorilla), and I've also trapped the flip style in bad spots. I've also become a big fan of the long handle as I get old.

This style:

You can get them from Snap-on, Cornwell, Mountain, Icon, Carlyle, Platinum Tools, ATD, and a couple of others with 120, 90, or 72 teeth. Ironically, Icon is in the middle pricing-wise in this situation.

Prior to that, I've sworn by SK X-Frames, because they came in 6 pt, but they're spendy and you have to flip them over. I don't reach for them as often anymore.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA UltraDork
9/11/24 8:49 p.m.

I looked at a Tekton set that had fixed heads but the ratchet has about 15 degrees of tilt.  You guys have convinced me to go reversible for sure. Still working out the rest.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/11/24 9:13 p.m.

I've had a complete set of lever reversible fixed head gear wrench brand for over a decade. I have beat the ever loving E36 M3 out of them, and they continue to work. Buy them .

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/11/24 9:18 p.m.

I can't really offer any insight on style, but as far as performance goes, try a YouTube channel called Torque Test Channel. The proprietor performs instrumented testing on hand tools (also power tools, flashlights, etc.) and evaluates and ranks them on other factors like dimensional accuracy, hardness, failure mode, COO, price, value... all the things you'd want to know before breaking out the old American Expense card. 

Spearfishin
Spearfishin HalfDork
9/11/24 9:25 p.m.

My gripe about my current ratchet wrenches (Gearwrench, I believe) is that I usually reach for them in tight situations (else I'd just use a socket) and often find they're just a c-hair too fat to fit in the tight space I'm faced with. So, if I were shopping, I'd get the thinnest offering above any other trait. But, maybe that's just a quirk of my personal "which tool do I grab" flow chart, and said flow chart might not be 'optimized'. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/11/24 10:47 p.m.

Gearwrench flex-heads are my go-to. I have a similar set of straight shaft ratcheting sockets that never get used. I also use 1/4" wrenches and sockets a lot to help with clearance issues, and I've been known to cut down a cheap HF socket to get the clearance I need.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UberDork
9/13/24 11:41 a.m.

Can also recommend Gearwrench.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UberDork
9/13/24 6:40 p.m.

Personal favorite ratcheting wrenches were the old Craftsman USA full polish 15 degree reversible.  I have most of a full set in inch and metric.  Had a few in a box that got stolen from me and still missing the 10mm because of course.  Replaced it with a similar one, but its not the same.  Should buy one off Ebay.  

Craftsman USA Made 42426 GK-D 15mm Reversible Ratcheting Combination Wrench  12PT | eBay

Next favorites are the EZReds also the same as the Mountains/Icons.  Long handle, swivel.  Useful in rare situations, but very useful when needed.  Note they are fragile, so your purchase decision should hinge on warranty not the price or name brand stamped on them.

I have a set of the MAC flex head ratcheting in inch and metric, don't think I have ever used them.  Not a big fan of flex heads, too bulky.

I have a few stragglers of the Craftsman USA locking flex heads, same story as the MACs.  Too big, and made bigger by the locking flex head.  Never used them.

Last I have a set of very old Husky USA made metric ratcheting wrenches.  Very very nice, on par with the USA Craftsmans or anything else USA made.  15 degree reversible.  

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/16/24 6:45 p.m.

In reply to The0retical :

Over the summer I bought a set of those and man I should have gotten them years ago.  Absolutely love them, I got the Platinum ones.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/24 8:36 p.m.

Someone posted about Tekton tools a couple of months ago. I was looking to put together a kit for road trips and the motorhome. I ended up buying their metric and sae reversible ratcheting and their combination sets. 6mm -24mm and 1/4" - 1-1/8"  I bought them with the roll bags. 

Super impressed with their quality. I can definitely recommend. The roll bags are perfect for keeping the sets together plus they pack down small and don't rattle. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0idjj6MywZs7w1fWEilsEgEhXGJNyuQAPcLU6bHCeS51aAQH0Fr5x3jKdPlVHWn7