eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
7/9/15 9:31 p.m.

Been working on Japanese cars and bikes for a while now, and (especially on the bikes) I've had a tendency to strip screw heads when trying to remove stuck screws. Turns out they use a different standard than Phillips. Maybe this is common knowledge to others, but I had no idea until recently. A lot of the screws that appear to be Phillips head are actually JIS. Its similar, but its designed so the screwdriver doesn't "cam out" of the screw head. This is what was causing the screw heads to get stripped.

I ordered a bit driver with JIS bits off the internet recently, after checking to see if Craftsman, Snap-On or Mac had any of them, and it appears they don't. Got it yesterday and tried it out. Its already become one of those tools I don't want to live without. It even worked on some of the screws that I (or someone else) had damaged before. No need to press down on the screwdriver to keep it from breaking loose and stripping out the screw head.

So, from a little reading, JIS bits can be used on both JIS and Phillips head screws, with one caveat. They aren't designed to limit torque like a Phillips, so either just use the JIS to loosen screws, or be careful you don't overtighten anything.

JIS uses a numbering system like Phillips, so you'll probably want to make sure you get a #2 and #1 bit for most work.

Also, it looks like Phillips has gotten into the game with the Pozidriv system, but it requires its own screw head design, and isn't compatible with normal Phillips head screws.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/15 11:00 p.m.

There are a bewildering number of cross-shaped driver variations - and you're right. If it's Japanese, use a JIS. They do show up in bit collections at the big retailers occasionally but it's a lot easier to simply order a set.

MattGent
MattGent Reader
7/9/15 11:44 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: There are a bewildering number of cross-shaped driver variations

Yup. Ran across a modified tri-wing at work a couple months back with some sort of anti-theft pin in the middle. Which led me to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

and

Hadn't heard of JIS however, will need to try that out.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
7/10/15 1:18 a.m.

If you don't want to buy the expensive JIS screwdrivers, just buy a second set of phillips size and grind the point of the driver down a bit so the driver fits deeper into the JIS screw head.

The shoulders of the phillips driver will then seat properly and work just fine.

This is all I ever did at the repair shop to handle the screws in Makita and Hitachi tools.

Works good on my Japanese motorcycles too.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/10/15 5:56 a.m.

In reply to Trans_Maro:

Good tip

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
7/10/15 6:38 a.m.

In reply to Trans_Maro:

I'll have to try that, too, with some of my extra Phillips screwdrivers, I like to have backups.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/10/15 11:53 a.m.

I thought this was going to be a Robertson thread. You muricans need to get with the times.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/10/15 11:54 a.m.

I want one of these for JIS screws:

http://www.amazon.com/Vessel-Megadora-Impacta-P2x150-Screwdriver/dp/B003BGZ9CO

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
7/10/15 12:07 p.m.
bearmtnmartin wrote: I thought this was going to be a Robertson thread. You muricans need to get with the times.

Shhhh....

I like watching them suffer.

kylini
kylini HalfDork
7/10/15 12:07 p.m.

I have a full set of Vessel screwdrivers and love em. Just sayin'

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
7/10/15 1:11 p.m.
EvanB wrote: I want one of these for JIS screws: http://www.amazon.com/Vessel-Megadora-Impacta-P2x150-Screwdriver/dp/B003BGZ9CO

That's one of the tools I bought, along with the motion pro t-handle with 3 JIS bits. Haven't needed to use the impact screwdriver yet, though.

grafmiata
grafmiata SuperDork
7/22/15 10:49 p.m.
kylini wrote: I have a full set of Vessel screwdrivers and love em. Just sayin'

Just got a set of Vessels a few days ago. Can't wait to put them to use.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
10/9/15 12:00 p.m.

FYI: 90% of JIS screws will have a small dimple on the face of the screw.

Enyar
Enyar Dork
10/9/15 12:30 p.m.

(adds items to xmas list)...

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
10/17/15 8:50 a.m.

Interesting. I've never had a problem with snap-on Phillips head drivers on Japanese bikes. The HFs work pretty good too. Can't say that about the craftsman and Stanley Phillips heads.

Johnny2Bad
Johnny2Bad New Reader
11/3/15 1:13 p.m.

Important info: You will damage JIS fasteners if you use Phillips drivers on them, but you won't damage Phillips fasteners if you use JIS drivers. So, the JIS driver is universal and the only ones you actually need for X thread fasteners.

Phillips drivers and fasteners are torque-limiting; they are designed to cam out once the fastener's torque limit has been achieved. JIS system allows greater torque than Philips, which is the fundamental difference between the two systems. JIS cross-thread (Japan) and Robertson Square-thread (Canada) allow the fastener to stay on the driver for easy assembly.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kHmhkGs6by2m4snpHQcIGWvkxR7vI7h7GvcMoRrZK1YUgFweqwylg8LyxbQihiXM