1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 25
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
6/16/13 4:01 p.m.

OMG... The hole's website: http://www.mysteryhole.com/whatisit.html

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/16/13 4:03 p.m.

Thanks for documenting the trip and allowing us to ride shotgun with your family! 2 lane road trips for the win!

Secretariata
Secretariata GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/16/13 5:55 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Huh. Now we're at a chain called "biscuit world." Who knew there was such a thing.

We have a Biscuit House. It used to be across from Williams-Bryce stadium (for something like 40 years), but it now has relocated out to the suburbs. Time will tell if that was a good or bad business decision.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/13 6:20 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: We've been looking at the gorge and its surrounding touristy crap all afternoon. We saw the mystery hole:

What do they get for admission to see the mystery hole? I once paid $.75 in the woods behind the elementary school when I was in the third grade

Tom Suddard
6/16/13 6:40 p.m.

Back in the day, it was $1. Now, it's $6.50.

I think we saw a different hole, though.

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
6/16/13 7:21 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: We've been looking at the gorge and its surrounding touristy crap all afternoon. We saw the mystery hole: And the gorge:

That bumper sticker better be magnetic. Ugh.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/16/13 9:26 p.m.

I assume you guys have already moved on. If not, one bit.of advice: don't speed at all in that part of the state. Not even 5 over!

Tom Suddard
6/16/13 9:34 p.m.

Got it, we leave tomorrow morning.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
6/16/13 9:35 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: I assume you guys have already moved on. If not, one bit.of advice: don't speed at all in that part of the state. Not even 5 over!

Hmm... I'll keep that in mind... last time I was in WV ten years ago, doing the speed limit would've gotten me run over by the logging trucks... so I figured it's like PA, where posted limits are sort of a rough suggestion...

I'm wondering if we should enjoy this thread while we can be before Margie gets back, realizes how many pics of her are posted and deletes it from existence.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
6/16/13 9:55 p.m.

Seriously, I wanted to hit up a biscuit world, but they all close early. Have fun through the mountains.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
6/16/13 10:27 p.m.

So what's the mystery hole anyhow? I'm a sucker for traps like that.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
6/17/13 5:28 a.m.

Where are the pictures of the jet boat?!?

David

beans
beans Reader
6/17/13 8:27 a.m.

That gondola looks pretty sketchy.

Tom Suddard
6/17/13 9:53 a.m.

Woohoo! We just made it out of the murder-cabin compound. Without a limited slip and careful driving we'd still be there for who knows how long!

We sunk in a bit...

Tom Suddard
6/17/13 9:59 a.m.

Aaaaaaaand now we're on the "main" road.

Tom Suddard
6/17/13 11:50 a.m.

We just stopped at a local antique store, and dad bought a rather large clock. It's now riding with mom and Katie until we can find a pack and ship place.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
6/17/13 12:01 p.m.

Ha - you have a very understanding family. My wife refuses to even sit in my Mercedes.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/13 12:08 p.m.

This is the best family road trip ever. Love the bumper sticker.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/17/13 12:09 p.m.

Ahhhh, Cabin 4.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/13 12:24 p.m.

This looks like most of the vacations my parents took us on. By the time we got rid of my Mom's Fairmont it was held together by tourist trap bumper stickers.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
6/17/13 12:27 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: We just stopped at a local antique store, and dad bought a rather large clock. It's now riding with mom and Katie until we can find a pack and ship place.

Nope, extra style points for finding a vintage roof rack and carrying it with you.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
6/17/13 12:32 p.m.

Adding the big clock to the luggage reminds me of some of those Top Gear epic adventure episodes.

Luke
Luke UberDork
6/17/13 12:48 p.m.

^That's what I was thinking

A big '+1' to this whole thread. It's a great, fun read. Y'all have got me itching to stock the Alfa with some spare parts, grab the lady friend, and hit the road.

And yeah, slapping that bumper sticker straight onto the back of your freshly restored Mercedes, rules.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
6/17/13 12:53 p.m.
Luke wrote: A big '+1' to this whole thread. It's a great, fun read. Y'all have got me itching to stock the Alfa with some spare parts, grab the lady friend, and hit the road.

I think that's part of the point: "get your classic car out of the garage and USE IT!" Having done some vacation trips with our classic cars (usually the 1800ES), it can definitely makes things interesting sometimes.

Hagerty printed a similar article about taking an "old school family vacation" (no modern tech allowed) with an early 70's Vista Cruiser in their monthly member magazine.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/13 1:16 p.m.

I suspect they may have cheated a bit on the "no modern tech" aspect of this particular adventure. But I'm okay with that, partly because it lets us ride along.

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 25

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fUoWHdmfA1Su6bCDdpJpE5DcAC4D1abUA7QcljefcP1sjHpRvdYGYFNOKhI6Gx9Q