1 2
Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
6/16/08 10:36 a.m.

Just received this press release:

NBC’S ‘TOP GEAR’ BUCKLES UP ITS HOSTS FOR HIGH-OCTANE PILOT FROM BBC WORLDWIDE AMERICA BASED ON INTERNATIONAL HIT FRANCHISE

BURBANK - June 16, 2008 - Television and radio comedian Adam Carolla, champion rally and drift racer Tanner Foust, and TV construction guru Eric Stromer, will lead NBC’s pilot of the international smash hit series “Top Gear.” The production will begin later this week.

Produced by BBC Worldwide America, the U.S. version of the hit franchise will mirror the UK show’s irreverent humor and camaraderie between the three presenters, epic races, outrageous stunts and challenges, unique celebrity guest participation and eccentric methods of testing cars.

"This franchise is a proven winner worldwide and the hosting team of Adam, Tanner and Eric that we have brought together for the U.S. version offers a perfect match of humor, insider know-how and priceless track experience," said Craig Plestis, Executive Vice President, Alternative Programming Development and Specials, NBC Entertainment. "We are going to create a high-powered show that, like the original, will keep viewers in every demographic clutching the edge of their seats."

“These three guys will get to drive the world’s most amazing cars, go on incredible road trips and blow stuff up. It’s a dirty old job but someone has to do it…why didn’t I get the job?!” said Paul Telegdy, Executive Vice President, TV Sales and Content & Production, BBC Worldwide America.

Jeremy Clarkson, executive producer and host of the UK “Top Gear” said: “This is fantastic news - but how on earth you lot are going to do it on the wrong side of the road I’ve no idea.”

Adam Carolla: Television and radio personality Adam Carolla is host of the daily, nationally-syndicated radio program “The Adam Carolla Show,” based out of Los Angeles’ KLSX 97.1/ FREE FM. With partners Jimmy Kimmel and Daniel Kellison, Carolla created Jackhole Industries where he produced and starred in two hit Comedy Central shows, "The Man Show" and "Crank Yankers." Carolla also co-hosted the nationally-syndicated radio program “Loveline” with Dr. Drew Pinsky for 10 years, as well as its TV version on MTV. Carolla also recently wrote and starred in the independent, award-winning feature film, “The Hammer.” In season six of “Dancing with the Stars,” Adam became the first ever contestant to complete a Paso Doble on a unicycle. Carolla is an avid car collector and owns several classic collectible Lamborghinis, Maseratis, two Ferraris and an Audi S4.

Tanner Foust: Tanner Foust is in high-demand as a stunt driver, with film credits including “The Bourne Ultimatum,” “The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift” and “The Dukes of Hazard.” Foust is a winning competitor in rally, drift, ice racing and time attack with multiple champion podium placements including the 2007 X Games Rally Champion and 2007 Formula Drift Pro Drift Champion. His varied race experience includes open wheel competition, the Pikes Peak Hill Climb (2002 - 2004), five Ice Racing championships and the 2005 PGT Rally Championship. He also holds class lap records at numerous U.S. road courses in Time Attack. In addition, Foust also hosted “Supercars Exposed” for the SPEED channel. Foust’s car of choice is a tricked-out M3.

Eric Stromer: Eric Stromer, host of the HGTV show "Over Your Head," started life in construction and remodeling houses after a short acting career as a soap opera hunk was abruptly ended by a Styrofoam boulder on the set of “Santa Barbara.” For 20 years he ran a successful building company before becoming the face of HGTV’s hit show. He’s a regular on Adam Carolla’s nationally-syndicated radio show giving out construction advice, and also appears on TLC’s “Clean Sweep,” NBC’s “Three Wishes” and is a special correspondent for “The Insider.” Stromer prefers his Camry hybrid.

About the Executive Producers: The pilot of “Top Gear” will be executive produced by Tod Mesirow and Kevin Harris. Mesirow’s background includes producing credits on “Wired Science,” Discovery Channel's “Smash Lab,” “Mythbusters,” and “Monster Garage.” He also executive produced Discovery Studio's “Overhaulin'” for TLC. Harris’ credits include “The Apprentice” and “The Baby Borrowers” for NBC.

About Top Gear: The series, which premiered in the UK in 1977, is consistently BBC TWO’s most-watched program in the UK. The UK version of “Top Gear” is broadcast globally in over 100 countries and has been airing on BBC America since 2007. The program has been the recipient of various awards including National Television Awards, BAFTAs, Broadcast Award, Royal Television Society Awards and an International Emmy Award. Top celebrity guests have included Hugh Grant, Simon Cowell, Ewan McGregor, Helen Mirren and Gordon Ramsay. In addition to the television show, the “Top Gear” brand has achieved global success. The self-titled magazine Top Gear continues to be both the best-selling car and men’s magazines in the UK. Internationally, Top Gear is the leading motoring media brand.

About BBC Worldwide America: BBC Worldwide America (BBCWA) is part of BBC Worldwide - the main commercial arm and a wholly-owned subsidiary of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). BBCWA has headquarters in New York and Los Angeles and brings together all of BBC Worldwide’s businesses in the U.S. – including cable channel BBC America and a bi-coastal production division responsible for the smash hit “Dancing with the Stars,” which returns for its 7th season this Fall.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
6/16/08 10:43 a.m.

Just saw this over at jalopnik as well (sorry, I occasionally stray from GRM ;-)

A) They need Stig's "Fat American Cousin"

B) $10 says BBCA has to stop showing the original once this launches.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/16/08 10:44 a.m.

Stromer doesn't make much sense to me. Although I am interested in the freak styrofoam boulder incident that ended his acting career.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
6/16/08 11:02 a.m.

Yah, what the heck is up with Stromer, he better REALLY like cars! It seems like they could have found some more likely candidate then him. I looks like he may just be a friend of Adams though.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut New Reader
6/16/08 11:03 a.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Stromer doesn't make much sense to me. Although I am interested in the freak styrofoam boulder incident that ended his acting career.

Plus he's a goddamn dirty hippy!

"Noooo Adam, you can't drive the Superhypercharged Babysealmasher 2000 on the show!"

Duke
Duke Dork
6/16/08 11:11 a.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Stromer doesn't make much sense to me. Although I am interested in the freak styrofoam boulder incident that ended his acting career.

That gave me a doubletake, as well. However, I assume they meant a styrofoam boulder ended his character and thus his gig.

Having seen the American pilot for Coupling, I'm NOT going to watch this. It will just be too painful to bear.

[edit] Hey, on the minor complaint list for the revamped website: What's up with the typeface size that seems to gust around randomly within a post?

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/16/08 11:24 a.m.
Stromer prefers his Camry hybrid.

Again with the, "Why him?"

My only guess is that he's there to be eye candy for women? I suppose there's no question as to who fills what rolls:

Corolla = Clarkson

Foust = Hammond

Stromer = Capt. Slow!

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
6/16/08 11:26 a.m.

Who is Stig? I know who Stig is, but is that his name, a nickname, a shortened version of his name or an acronym for a joke I don't get?

And I can't believe they would even attempt to make an American version of Coupling. Coupling is blue collar "Friends" but with sex and British humor.

How could you possible improve or duplicate that?

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/16/08 11:33 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Who is Stig? I know who Stig is, but is that his name, a nickname, a shortened version of his name or an acronym for a joke I don't get?

Clearly, you do not Grok...

Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig.

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
6/16/08 11:41 a.m.

I Grok that.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/16/08 11:45 a.m.

:(

aircooled
aircooled Dork
6/16/08 11:51 a.m.
Duke wrote: Hey, on the minor complaint list for the revamped website: What's up with the typeface size that seems to gust around randomly within a post?

You need to add a double space after a a blockquote for some reason (only shows as a single space)

nderwater
nderwater New Reader
6/16/08 11:51 a.m.

tanner seems like a good guy. i hate to say it, but his low-rent supercar show on speed is one of the best shows that channel produces these days. adam is a car geek, so that's another plus. i can't say i'll like the show, but i'll be watching it when it debuts.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/16/08 11:52 a.m.

Aircooled's right.. just figured that out myself. I'm adding it to the list to fix.

jrw1621
jrw1621 New Reader
6/16/08 11:56 a.m.

I had no idea who Eric is. This is his recent show on HGTV (which I have never seen) The only thing that comes to mind is "Pretty Boy." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvV9vo4Rw50

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/08 12:05 p.m.

The producers approached me for the role of Fat American Stig. I was insulted at the fat reference and turned it down cold. I am obese, not fat!

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/16/08 12:09 p.m.

Well, our Dish TV subscription ran out on Friday. No Dish. No Speed, no BBC America, no 24x7 comercials and 20 year old "premium" movies. No $713/year with the "pay it all now" discount. No trying to figure out which branch to shoot down so I can get a sat signal. So, I guess I won't be watching this show either, unless I DL it from teh intraweb, Yo.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
6/16/08 12:13 p.m.

my thread with Adam's comments

Looks like Adam may be allowed fairly free reign on the show to say what he wants. He was told they want it exactly as they do it in England.

Also, the guy has balls. CBS radio executives saddled him with Danny Bonnaduce during all of 2007 in response to sagging ratings. Because Adam was sick of Danny (Danny's an egotistical idiot who just talks about drugs and getting into fights), he basically went on strike on his own show. The excuse was that he was "sick", but nobody gave any details. He wouldn't even call in. But he was more than happy to be a guest on Jimmy Kimmel's show and didn't look sick at all. He was just giving a big F-U to CBS management. After about a month, CBS caved, axed Danny and gave Adam creative control over his show and the cast.

If NBC wanted to water down the show, I don't think Adam would let that fly. He didn't roll over for CBS, I doubt he'd do it for NBC, either.

Duke
Duke Dork
6/16/08 12:26 p.m.
aircooled wrote:
Duke wrote: Hey, on the minor complaint list for the revamped website: What's up with the typeface size that seems to gust around randomly within a post?
You need to add a double space after a a blockquote for some reason (only shows as a single space)

Thank you, but I mean that posts often vary in point size from paragraph to paragraph, and sometimes even line to line. Not so much that the spacing is a little hard to figure out; but that the actual letters are sometimes bigger and sometimes smaller.

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
6/16/08 1:03 p.m.

Cool.

I still think that Rhys Millen should be the Stig.....

-John

AudiMike
AudiMike Reader
6/16/08 1:40 p.m.

stig = Stig Blomquest ????

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/16/08 1:43 p.m.

The Stig is The Stig.

I'm sure there's a background to the name, but it's probably an inside joke between a couple of the writers involving being drunk and discovering the flammability of undergarments.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/16/08 1:46 p.m.

And welsh sheep. No other kind will do.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/16/08 1:47 p.m.
Duke wrote:
aircooled wrote:
Thank you, but I mean that posts often vary in point size from paragraph to paragraph, and sometimes even line to line. Not so much that the spacing is a little hard to figure out; but that the actual letters are sometimes bigger and sometimes smaller.

Yes.. and Aircooled has the answer, or at least a short-term fix. It has to do with quoting, and when exactly the board knows your done quoting. In fact, as soon as I get around to doing the fix, I'll be doing pretty much what Aircooled suggested.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/16/08 2:38 p.m.
Chris_V wrote: <a If NBC wanted to water down the show, I don't think Adam would let that fly. He didn't roll over for CBS, I doubt he'd do it for NBC, either.

The guy does have balls. I think he could, of anyone, make this a success.

Hell, if the show tanks he'll go back to building houses. What's he got to lose?

I liked his sense of humor on The Man Show. I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's not going to pull punches when it comes to reviewing any sacred cow.

Please be a good show. Please be a good show. Please be a good show. Please be a good show.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CY3Fs5DUadgEbGvl7q4gT6URRZRJ9guIb4R4hVRwdWU7yqNf9WiH2toGyHI8ZYIB