Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
7/31/13 10:05 a.m.

NMNA

RARE 1973 Volvo 1800ES - $1400 (Staham Ga)

have a 1973 Volvo 1800ES, these cars were a very limited production. This car is nearly complete. It has not been driven in 10 years. It will be a great Volvo enthusiast restoration project or and I hate to say this -parts car- I have other pics if you want them email me and I will send them direct to your email. Please email me if you are interested, I will consider all offers.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
7/31/13 10:41 a.m.

Doesn't look too bad... Unfortunately, if it's been sitting like that (sunk up to the rims) for 10 years, then the underside is likely to be rusted beyond repair... But as a parts car, I see a few usable parts of value. Would need more pictures & info.

Fortunately for me, it's way too far away to even consider.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
7/31/13 10:48 a.m.

I know it's over the limit, but here's a nicer one that popped up near me:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/3905234234.html

JamesMcD
JamesMcD HalfDork
7/31/13 4:43 p.m.

The ES wasn't all that limited in production. They made eight-thousand of them and I feel like I see those just as often as the coupes.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Reader
7/31/13 5:20 p.m.
JamesMcD wrote: The ES wasn't all that limited in production. They made eight-thousand of them and I feel like I see those just as often as the coupes.

It's already estimated that less than 800 of the ES wagons exist on the road today.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/31/13 5:21 p.m.

If that car had sunk that far into the Mojave Desert, it would have rust issues. Run away.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Reader
7/31/13 5:23 p.m.

In reply to Gasoline:

It was for sale earlier last year at $2500. It was locked and they were Missing keys.

AwDang
AwDang New Reader
7/31/13 5:38 p.m.

email sent

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Reader
7/31/13 5:48 p.m.
AwDang wrote: email sent

Say what? Nobody here owns that car.

SEADave
SEADave Reader
7/31/13 6:47 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: A mint one is under $10K and you cant get that one close to mint for anywhere near an additional $10K over the purchase price

Not to be argumentative, but show me a mint one for under $10k. I was looking and found an excellent one in Vancouver BC that looked almost like the one Bravenrace posted and it was about $17k.

After dealing with a deteriorating 1800E years ago, rust-free original and mint is the only way I would ever touch any 1800 series car now.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD HalfDork
7/31/13 10:00 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non wrote:
JamesMcD wrote: The ES wasn't all that limited in production. They made eight-thousand of them and I feel like I see those just as often as the coupes.
It's already estimated that less than 800 of the ES wagons exist on the road today.

I must have a skewed perception because there were three of them in my little home town of Jackson, Missouri.

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
8/1/13 8:59 a.m.
Woody wrote: If that car had sunk that far into the Mojave Desert, it would have rust issues. Run away.

In Georgia, cars never actually sink down to the ground level. We have fire ants to keep them up. Reach under any you'll see.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
8/1/13 9:48 a.m.
Woody wrote: If that car had sunk that far into the Mojave Desert, it would have rust issues. Run away.

It's funny how people never seem to think that when they park a car on dirt/grass that it'll be years before it moves again.

Knowing this, I parked my stripped ES in my back yard on a pair of 2x12's. While I know the rust condition isn't improving any, at least it's not sinking into the ground.

I agree, it's not hard to find a decent ES. I'd give arguement about finding a clean one for under $10K... but we've had this arguement before. In my experience, there is no "in between" condition when it comes to 1800's. Either the car is absolutely perfect (meaning ZERO rust) and the price reflects that (high teens to low 20's), or the car "photographs well" and has rust in places if you know where to look - prices for these can be all over the map.

NEVER buy one of these cars sight unseen unless it's stupid cheap and you know it's rusty (and cheap) or you can inspect it (assuming you know the cars) or have it inspected.

Datsun1500 wrote: In reply to SEADave: Look at Ebay item 271249922170 Very nice one, buy it now for $13,000

I see enough things wrong with that car in those crappy pics there is no way in hell I'd pay $13K for it sight unseen. The seller obviously knows nothing about 1800's.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qzLplg3LxUQUAnPkXWptsm8QceGDcg1j6vizmd3JpAs6GX9qSGsMA0c11DMOqSCP