1 2 3 4
caseyjones (Forum Supporter)
caseyjones (Forum Supporter) New Reader
8/30/20 10:46 p.m.

Better before-n-after pic. 

Some lessons learned from this swap, maybe it will help  others:

I used the CPP OE drop spindles (PN CP4S2) and the CPP 6-lug rotors.  I also used the Speedway booster mount 9166066 and ordered a 55-57 Chevy booster/MC kit as they recommended.  Except that I should have ordered their PN 916641211 with the 1 1/8" bore master cylinder, instead of the 1" bore kit that I did order.  I also purchased the Inline Tube kit for my truck with the power brake conversion, as well as a factory replacement rear rubber line and front rubber lines from AC Delco PN 18J3752.  These lines are the correct length but have a slightly not-hex profile to the end that attaches to frame bracket, so I had to clearance my brackets.  I'd recommend finding another brake line PN with a more appropriate frame-end.  I had to buy some 3/16-24 threaded rod and a hex coupler from Fastenal to make a longer pushrod, and I had to buy the little tool that locks the proportioning valve the first time it gets bled.  I bought the bearings, seals, calipers, pads, spindle nuts, replacement ball joints and tie rods from Rockauto.  I bought the spindle dust caps from NAPA, PN 7302438.

I had to drill and tap a new 3/8" NPT hole for the booster vacuum line into my intake manifold.  That was probably the most stressful part of the entire process...don't break the tap!

On the first test drive the brakes were super grabby, so I drilled a new hole in the brake pedal lever about an inch below the original.  The truck was slightly more drivable but still really touchy on the brakes, and that's when i realized my error on the master cylinder bore.  I ordered and installed a stock 73-87 C10 master and the brakes are much more controllable but still feel slightly overboosted.  I don't know what to do from here, maybe I'll get used to it?

The truck goes in for alignment tomorrow and then I'll drive it for a while like this to see what adjustments are next.  I'm hoping to snag a power steering pump bracket for the 292 tomorrow night, so that may enable the next major upgrade.

12/13/20 12:15 a.m.

Checking back in, it's been a little while.  The power steering project hasn't happened, the bracket wasn't right for pulley setup.  I did drive the truck like that until Halloween, and then I tore it apart to shorten the wheelbase, reseal the engine and install the NP440 transmission.  All buttoned back up now and better than ever!  Shortening the truck made it much more livable in the city with my work parking situation.  The OD transmission totally changed the truck for the better.  The brakes are great, maybe still a touch sensitive.  The engine doesn't leak a drop now.  

I tackled replacement of the seam sealer around the roof skin and on the cowl to stop the leaks from above, however it's coming up through the holes in the floor...I really dislike patching rust but I think I'm gonna have to do it.  I'd still like to add power steering.  The bed wood needs replacement, I've had the lumber sitting in my garage for a couple of months.  I also picked up some stock-style steel wheels that will clear the brakes, and will order a pair of 15x8 for the rear soon, and need to find a cool set of hubcaps.  No shortage of projects for the wet cold months ahead.  

Some pictures of the process:

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/20 9:07 a.m.

Oh man, I love it when this truck is on Page 1!

2/24/21 12:23 a.m.

I've been doing the rust repair and I hate it.  Floors are patched, new rocker panels and foot well panels too.  Left toe board/firewall still needs some work, and the left fender needs a patch.  

We had a nice day so I took it out for a ride with my daughter a couple of weeks ago.  She likes to take pictures from "snake eye view" so i took one of her.

2/24/21 12:41 a.m.

In other news, I ordered the 15x8 steelies the day after Christmas...they are expected to ship on 3/11/21 but I'm not holding my breath.  I did snag some appropriately rough mid-60's Chevelle hubcaps for the wheels though.  I milled the bed wood but haven't painted it yet...i'll get to that after the rust repair is done.  I wired a 12V bluetooth receiver into the radio so I can listen to all my favorite music as if it were being played over an AM station.  

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
2/24/21 3:29 a.m.

I'll have to go back and read the whole thread... find out when the truck changed! Both look great.

3/20/21 10:28 p.m.
03Panther said:

I'll have to go back and read the whole thread... find out when the truck changed! Both look great.

Yeah, I should have started a new thread, but now I'm in too deep.  I'm still hoping to get the older truck out here to finish it up this summer. we'll see.  Summit updated the expected arrival date of my wheel order to mid-June, so I put some tack welds on the truck rally wheels so they would hold the Chevelle caps, painted them white and figure they'll pass until the new wheels show up.  The paint store is working on color matching the green so I can blend in the new patches and I plan to start painting the bed wood next weekend.  Good weather is around the corner, can't wait to put more miles on it.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R4gyI8QQ9d1ds6roZfxRa23GR0rfYgWiQIYFWePQb6iIW3j67fJQVeQm0bVzgxuL