1 ... 7 8 9 10
eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
9/4/19 8:29 p.m.
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/19 9:12 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

Woody - will this do the trick:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-HONDA-CH125-ELITE-CH-125-CDI-ECU-IGNITER-/351043663240?hash=item51bbd53588

Well, I guess we'll find out on or before Monday September 9.

Thank you very much.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
9/5/19 7:09 a.m.

In reply to Woody :

Good luck!  Based on the asking prices I am seeing, maybe its time for me to part out the CH250 engine I have in the garage.

Woody
9/9/19 8:13 p.m.

According to my calendar, it appears that today is Monday September 9...

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
9/9/19 8:39 p.m.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/9/19 10:14 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

We are the biggest bunch of shiny happy people 

Woody
9/10/19 10:08 p.m.

So the eBay CDI arrived yesterday, but I was pretty exhausted. Not too tired to install it, mind you, just too tired write about it.

It looks exactly like the original, so I plugged it in and cranked the starter...

Woody
9/10/19 10:13 p.m.

Aaaaaaaannnnd......

This Berkeleying scooter has officially crushed my soul.

This is the first Honda product that I have owned in 30 years that has defied all my efforts to make it run, and I have resurrected some real crap in the past.

It's possible that it could be the stator or pulse generator, and I do have new ones, but Step One for replacing them is "remove engine".

I'm done. I'm tired and I have other projects competing for my attention. I've already spent $500 on this thing and I don't feel like dedicating anymore time or money to it.

I don't even want to ride it.

(^Lie).

My apologies to the GRM community. I really believed that I could do it.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
9/11/19 7:45 a.m.

Aww man, sorry to hear about that.  Wish you were closer so I could help out.  Goodness knows I've torn down enough scooters.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/11/19 7:58 a.m.

If anyone can get this from Woody to the Challenge I'd be willing to pick it up and continue. 

Woody
9/11/19 8:05 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

If anyone can get this from Woody to the Challenge I'd be willing to pick it up and continue. 

I would support this idea.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/11/19 8:13 a.m.

Noooooooo

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
9/11/19 8:27 a.m.

No no no  you can’t sell it! <back, back you hyenas>

take a deep breath and a day or so and you can do this. 

You’ve put some good love into this and it is very very close. You have the original brochure for pete’s sake!

i dont recall but have you been using a multimeter to do some proper diagnosing?

Samebutdifferent
Samebutdifferent New Reader
9/11/19 8:30 a.m.

1984 Honda Elite: How long have I wanted this? I still have the original brochure!

^^^

And you still want to give up just because it requires you to pull th engine to replace a part?  I'd bet you'd be able to pull the motor, replace the part and have it back together in an afternoon.  Even if it doesn't fix it, you are one step closer to solving the problem by eliminating another possible failure point and you will know the scooter inside and out.

We have faith in you and we are all here to help you resolve the mystery.  I've never seen a Honda crush a soul and this scooter should not be the first.  Now get out there and start tearing things apart!

Woody
9/11/19 9:50 a.m.

In reply to Samebutdifferent :

No. I want to give up because I would like to swap my MaxJax for a four post lift, pull the engine on the Volvo to do the rear main seal, timing belt and maybe a rebuilt turbo, do some mountain biking and walk the dog before it starts to get cold around here. 

nedc
nedc Reader
9/11/19 10:16 a.m.

I feel your pain! I've resurrected 2 Elites and for something that seems so simple, they can be a PITA. I am 100% sure it is the stator and you don't have to pull the engine to change it. I pulled and rebuilt the engine in the one I have now and went about 200 yards on the maiden voyage and it quit...no spark. After checking everything I decided it had to be the stator. Didn't want to pull the engine again so I propped it up and pulled the main bolt and got it separated just enough to get that right side cover off. Found a used stator on ebay for $50. Don't give up on it- will make a good winter project.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/11/19 11:16 a.m.

Frustrations at this level change your relationship with a vehicle. Even if you can get it working right, seeing it in the corner is more of a "I hate that guy" feeling than a "it's so cool" feeling. Letting it go to someone who doesn't have that emotional baggage is a good idea. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
9/11/19 4:03 p.m.

Let me propose an alternative:

frustrating experiences - even the largest of them - while working on a passionate project can be paralyzing.  But pushing through and overcoming the challenges just makes the victory that much sweeter. 

Having high expectations (that this part will fix it) get crushed can make you want to throw in the towel, and perhaps you should put a cover over it for a little while but remember: it’s a mechanical object that has functioned properly in the past. There is likely a single issue with it. You are more than capable of fixing it. 

In the meantime, I’m going to keep an eye out for an elite scooter for sale as Seth needs his own to sink his teeth into without trying to yank this one away!

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
9/11/19 4:19 p.m.

Also, two guys have had no-start issues because of clogged up exhausts.... maybe try pulling it off? Or at least looking up the tailpipe (maybe Eddie Murphy was in the area).

have you checked for spark with a plug against the motor since this last round? 

you can also clip a timing light on the plug wire to see if it’s getting a spark at least through the wire. 

i closed the plug gap on a no-start jet ski once to get it to run  

Lastly, I don’t recall - do you know if it ran when parked?  Could it have an internal problem (cam timing off, broken piston, loose rocker, etc)?  Try compression test.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
9/11/19 6:37 p.m.

It doesn't take up much space.  Park it in the corner and wait until you're inspired again.

Woody
9/11/19 6:41 p.m.

It isn’t fun anymore. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/19 7:03 p.m.
Woody said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I would support this idea.

In for pics of Seth in full leathers riding the scooter on track. 

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/11/19 7:50 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Frustrations at this level change your relationship with a vehicle. Even if you can get it working right, seeing it in the corner is more of a "I hate that guy" feeling than a "it's so cool" feeling. Letting it go to someone who doesn't have that emotional baggage is a good idea. 

Can confirm. I took a major loss on my 99 miata for similar feelings. 

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/11/19 10:48 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

It doesn't take up much space.  Park it in the corner and wait until you're inspired again.

Honestly that what I do. In the summer I’m playing but last long winter I put together 3 motorcycles. They are the perfect winter time garage project.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
9/12/19 7:40 a.m.

you can also clip a timing light on the plug wire to see if it’s getting a spark at least through the wire. 

Learned something new today.  Like Duh why didn't I think of that.

1 ... 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vrf36QmzTlSwncHpSqglqU2cylSm3ayiX1YQFQ4uK49ZTjD6n5KF2asdLqJTHBfl