1 2 3
yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/21/21 10:51 a.m.

I'm not supposed to be buying anymore cars with my pending move to the east coast but the wife said "um why haven't you bought it yet?". So, here we are.

1993 190e Sportline 487/700

M104.980 + 5spd swap 

Needs some work but in great shape. Way better than expected. 

It'll arrive home on Saturday heart

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/21/21 11:49 a.m.

I do like the petite looks of the 190.  But, I wasn't expecting a 190 when I opened this.  Good choice.  

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/21/21 12:11 p.m.

Man, that looks nice!

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
10/21/21 1:38 p.m.

I like that.  Still need to own a Merc before I die.  Unfortunately, Gullwings we're out of my price range decades ago and Pagodas are too much lately.

yupididit
10/21/21 2:13 p.m.
John Welsh said:

I do like the petite looks of the 190.  But, I wasn't expecting a 190 when I opened this.  Good choice.  

Yeah a black G Wagon is what I wanted for my next black Mercedes but I'm about $50k short lmao

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/21/21 2:32 p.m.

That looks like it is in great shape. 

I also have a 93 sportline that is not in the best shape. 

I really wish my seats looked that nice. 
i am excited to see some more pictures posted up once you get it. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/21/21 2:53 p.m.

Not what I expected from the thread title, but I'm not disappointed, that looks great.

yupididit
10/21/21 3:53 p.m.

In reply to Somebeach (Forum Supporter) :

I've always wanted a Sportline just for the interior lol. I went to go see it the other day and its in really great shape. No rust and the interior only needs some minor things.

I'll do fluids, tires, brakes and keep it as is. Eventually I want to go full efi or do a 3.2 m104 swap. It having 3 pedals really helped in deciding to buy it. 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/21/21 3:55 p.m.

That's awesome. Totally awesome. Congrats!

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
10/21/21 4:18 p.m.

This is peak Mercedes. 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
10/21/21 4:22 p.m.

I'll be in my bunk.

Amazing find of an amazing car. Such a clean W201! And with an M104.980! So much want.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
10/21/21 5:02 p.m.

Very sharp! Bet it is really fun to drive.

As for the M104.980 swap, do you know if this is fairly simple? I have access to a 190e  cosworth with a engine that had valve interference. I would like to get it and do an inexpensive heart transplant and someday have the 16v rebuilt.  Would the M104.980 be a good option? 

yupididit
10/21/21 6:18 p.m.

In reply to OjaiM5 :

Probably the easiest m104 swap into a 2.6 car its almost plug and play. Into a 2.3 car I'm not so sure, would check on 190rev.net or peachparts.

10/21/21 6:41 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Nice. If you need any trim or anything let me know. (Not that mine is in very good shape either) 

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
10/22/21 7:13 a.m.

Having owned a few E30s in the past, I really want a 190e with a manual transmission.  Preferably with the 6cyl.  I've been tempted to buy one and swap, but the parts seem more scarce and quite a bit more expensive than E30/E36 parts these days.

Those seats also look way more bolstered than the average 190e seats.  Was the sportline package even a US option?  Or are those     Cossie seats?  I'm not sure about the red piping and inserts, but I suppose that could be dyed easily enough. *edit: they probably look much better in person.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
10/22/21 7:20 a.m.

They aren't the same as the 16v seats but more bolstered than regular. I have never cared much for those seats since it looks like katzkin was there before me but those are part of what sets them apart. 

I have a set of those wheels you liked in 17x8.5 et70(!) if you are interested. They need restored.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/22/21 7:33 a.m.

Damn, that's juicy. Your wife is cool.

yupididit
10/22/21 8:01 a.m.

What are you doing with yours? 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/22/21 8:01 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Damn, that's juicy. Your wife is cool.

Damn, that's cool. Your wife is... 

devil

yupididit
10/22/21 8:02 a.m.
chandler said:

They aren't the same as the 16v seats but more bolstered than regular. I have never cared much for those seats since it looks like katzkin was there before me but those are part of what sets them apart. 

I have a set of those wheels you liked in 17x8.5 et70(!) if you are interested. They need restored.

Send me pics if the wheels, I'll message you my number! 

yupididit
10/22/21 8:07 a.m.

In reply to Hoondavan :

I love the seats. These are subdued compared to the Avantgarde Azzurro, Rosso, Verde (which I love even more) seats from the Euro 190e Sportlines.

Azzurro:

Rosso:

Verde:

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/22/21 8:33 a.m.

That is one sharp ride.  I'm lucky enough to have a wife that is an enabler too.  Best of luck with the car, and the move.  I'll be following your progress.

10/22/21 8:55 a.m.
yupididit said:

What are you doing with yours? 

Mine is a hopeful challenge car build. That is getting an ecotec and a AR5 trans.  It's has well over 200k on it and all the seats are in rough shape. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
10/22/21 9:46 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Never knew this interior existed. I love both the Rosso and the Verde!

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
10/22/21 9:51 a.m.

I saw a Rosso 190 in person once and was really ecstatic about it, the owner had done the 5 speed swap and was complaining about the shifter feel, but otherwise these seem like fantastic cars.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tNJHVKoNYONaZZ4aSRaszmFHAHfD8msoWVCigJR3J0VEcimCj4Za6H6xotKcKX9j